New console owners - any regrets?

Doctor Shark

Any regrets?  

211 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, therearerules said:

Series S, no regrets. Skipping out on a PS4 (until recently)/XBox One made it feel like a proper new console as well, but with loads of games.

Precisely this.

I'd be disappointed with my PS5 if I'd bought it for new games, but I missed the Pro and treated it as a PS4 upgrade. Had there been a £250 Pro+ with SSD I'd have been happy with that, since I only wanted faster loading. I haven't bought any games for it yet.

And I've an S to see out the rest of my £1 GPU sub. Again, bought for improved loadtimes. Loading really annoyed me last gen, especially Mass Effect 2 on PS3 and Breath of the Wild. These new loadtimes feel about on par with the GameCube to me, so more of a much-needed reset than advancement.

PS5 has delivered far more than I expected at launch, as soon as I started playing AstroBot any doubts evaporated. Demon’s Souls is incredible, I find it hard though so I’m gradually chipping away at it but the world just looks and sounds amazing.

Unlike many I love the UI, I find it swift, easy to navigate and it looks great. The Activity Cards are perfect to jump back into a game (apart from WRC where they just don’t seem to work) and the built in gaming tips/videos are a brilliant idea.

Then there’s the PS4 backwards compatibility which has been flawless with unexpected extra boosts to Ghost of Tsushima (I’d swear it was a PS5 game) and Ratchet and Clank that I’d never played before. PS Plus, The PS Collection and Play At Home means I don’t have a shortage of new games to play with Days Gone, God of War and Control waiting, among others. 

WRC 9 is a revelation with the DualSense, so the only real disappointment (but not a surprise) I have with the PS5 is that GT7 is not coming this year. The DualSense has just knocked my anticipation for that game into orbit.

Then there’s Sackboy, what a surprise, I received it as a gift and just never expected it to be this good. An absolute gem.

And soon there’s Returnal, not at all what I expected from Housemarque but looking absolutely phenomenal from the previews so far. 

37 minutes ago, Escape said:

I'd be disappointed with my PS5 if I'd bought it for new games, but I missed the Pro and treated it as a PS4 upgrade. Had there been a £250 Pro+ with SSD I'd have been happy with that, since I only wanted faster loading. I haven't bought any games for it yet.

And I've an S to see out the rest of my £1 GPU sub. Again, bought for improved loadtimes. Loading really annoyed me last gen, especially Mass Effect 2 on PS3 and Breath of the Wild. These new loadtimes feel about on par with the GameCube to me, so more of a much-needed reset than advancement.

Curious, especially that you own 2 new consoles - do you find yourself drifting towards one over the other and if so why?

My Series X was with every penny. Load times, fps enhancements, performance, quick resume (when it works), all worth it. The lack of showcase games doesn't even bother me, I saw the upgrade like buying a new PC: all the same stuff just better and faster.

No regrets at all. Bought both on day one, a Series X and a PS5. I've never been so impressed by a console as I am with the Series X, it has been a transformative experience. The PS5 has been underwhelming, mostly by comparison, but I'm really happy with it nonetheless.

On PC I always loved that I could go back to older games and make them look better by fiddling with settings or by installing mods. The Series X offers a similar experience but without any of the faff: older games going back all the way to the original Xbox, running in 4k and looking like paid for remasters. Last gen favourites getting FPS boosts and looking gorgeous, feeling a lot better to play. I launched EDF2017 on my Series X and my old 97% complete 360 save was just there. Everything just works and it's amazing. Quick Resume is fantastic, apart from everything loading fast you're back where you left off immediately - on PS5 apart from Miles Morales you still have to wade through splash screens and menus before the fast loading even kicks in and suddenly that's such a faff. The console itself is solid but compact and completely silent - it's a goddamn miracle. The UI is fantastic, completely customizable to my preferences and just perfect. And now on the Series also lightning fast. On top of all that Game Pass has allowed me to discover loads of wonderful gems I otherwise I would have missed and I'm finishing more games than ever. It's a joy to simply use the console itself and I love it. I didn't expect that beforehand with the lack of big truly next gen games.

The PS5 has some brilliant games, Miles Morales is still the game that I use to show off my LG OLED. Astrobot is wonderful. The console itself is a little underwhelming however - despite being bigger than the Series X, it's not silent. The UI is a step back from the PS4 UI instead of an improvement - they slapped a fancy looking new gen paint on top of the existing UI without any thought to usability. No customizability, certainly not on the level of the Xbox despite huge chunks of empty screen real estate staring at me. The lack of older BC is annoying to me, and the belated PS4 compatibility (despite being very welcome) is very underwhelming when over on the other side of the tracks games are being enhanced and FPS boosted for free. Unlike the Series X everything is a bit of a faff, even simply downloading the right version of a game or upgrades to PS5 versions of games not being automatic or guaranteed, and save game compatibility likewise being a roll of the dice.  I think I would be far more impressed if I didn't have a Series X too as this feels like a more standard next-generation upgrade: a new console, more powerful than before, but also the same kind of experience as before. While the Series X has been transformative in my enjoyment of using the console itself. 

But it's important to note that this is all personal opinions. The PS5 is great by itself, it's mostly in comparison to the Series that I wished it did more/better - apart from the noise of course, why make a console the size of the starship Enterprise if you can't even make it 100% silent? Zero regrets, even if they weren't as scarce as they are now I would be very happy with both.

PS5 day one owner and only got my first game the other day : Yakuza LaD so a cross gen game at that.

And yet it's one of my favourite console launches for the simple fact I can play all my PS4 games in silence with faster loading and a better controller.

Got a series X, and have zero regrets, but I suspect that's mostly down to the fact that I was going to be replacing my increasingly flaky original model  Xbox One very soon anyway. If I'd had a One X and bought a Series X just for the "New Console!" hype, I think I would have regretted it.

All the improvements are nice, definitely, but I can't say I hugely notice them.

Quick Resume isn't a draw for me - I was never too bothered about going through menus to load a game.

SSD same: load times didn't especially bother me before.

The pad is better but I still use my Elite.

The quietness is great, but my Xbox One wasn't distractingly noisy anyway.

Game Pass is utterly phenomenal but I already subscribed, so it's no different to what I had before.

I love the Series X and think it's a great console, but do I think it's a transformative experience in gaming? Not for me. If you've got a One X and are wondering whether to upgrade, I'd be recommending Game Pass first. If you already have that, then you'll need to weigh up whether the improvements I've listed are worth the hundreds of pounds it costs. For me, they wouldn't be.

If your console is broken, or you skipped a generation? Yes, it is totally worth it, if you're also getting Game Pass.

PS5 and Series X on release. Not sure I would have had both if we hadn't been in the midst of a pandemic; outgoings were down and so I was more flush than normal. 

Biggest annoyance rather than regret was the state of some of the software, primarily Cyberpunk and Disco Elysium on PS5. Issues with both on release which dampened the ardour somewhat. 

PS5 has taken most of my time; Astrobot was wonderful and I spent most of the game grinning. Sackboy was a great surprise and both games had the type of charm and polish that you'd expect from Nintendo platformers. Demon Souls was great too, whilst I've not really touched the Miles Morales game yet. I did also have Ghosts of Tsushima untouched from when I had a PS4 Pro and that was great on the PS5, especially in regards to loading times and frame rates during battles. Hoping that's the case with Returnal. There have been a few annoying controller issues along the way, which I'm hoping the recent update has now rectified. Haven't suffered from any of the sound issues that others have had to deal with. 

Series X has 3 years of Gamepass attached, so no regrets over the purchase and the value I'll get from it. Wish there were some more exclusives though; The Medium flattered to deceive. Gamepass does deliver decent content though and there's an awful lot on there that I need to spend more time on - I often dl a title, give it half an hour and then fail to go back to it. 

Both have been decent purchases, my only real regret is that I just haven't had the time to play on them. My gaming normal increases in winter months, but work was more manic than usual this year. 

57 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

the belated PS4 compatibility (despite being very welcome) is very underwhelming when over on the other side of the tracks games are being enhanced and FPS boosted for free.

Did you buy your PS5 from Dekay?

Next gen patches have been free on PS5 and “belated” PS4 compatibility was out the box.

Tale of 2 consoles for me

Think the X Series is the best package in years, from the moment you unbox it your handling a quality product, the UI is clean and thoughtful and then Gamepass Ultimate means all the desire to feed a new machine software is met for minimal additional cost. It sets a great first impression.

The PS5 is a fugly whiny poorly made lump of plastic and I dislike it intensely, haven't turned it on since the X series arrived.

Series X is the greatest console I've ever owned, the sheer amount of quality of life improvements made it worth every penny, quick resume, larger drive, easy upgrade to storage and management of it, boost mode, backwards compatibility etc, controller, I just love everything about it.

PS5, I am not getting along with, it's massive and ugly, noisy, controller feels horrible (but big up to the fantastic haptics), tiny storage, horrible parties. Regret here. I've no doubt it will improve and some incredible exclusives will come but it's basically my fall guys box at the moment.

I already have a powerful PC, so it seemed a bit pointless buying a Series X considering all of the games will come to PC anyway, so I have more options there. I did eventually get a PS5, but kind of regret it at the moment, I should really have waited, but then again, there is still supply problems so.

I grabbed a Series S as couldn't find an X anywhere. A waste of time really having had a One X. Older games look worse (900p v 4k or 1080p) and almost no exclusives for next gen.

I expected a slow start but expected some more optimised for S/X and exclusives 6 months later.

I got a Series S on a whim when it popped up in stock. For what I've been using it for (playing GaaS games on a pad, Gamepass stuff and the occasional Retroarch game), it's been brilliant.

It's tiny enough that it sits neatly on top of the Xbox One X, barely makes a sound even when it's playing something modern, and if I feel like playing a game it takes seconds to get into it (which is ideal if I need to log into something quick on a break to claim promotional shit for the day).

The potential regret is the storage, but solid state storage is still expensive shit at 1tb capacity on PCIE4, so that's not an exclusive problem. And teardowns have shown it's a replaceable thing, which is marvelous for future refurbishment.

1 hour ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Did you buy your PS5 from Dekay?

Next gen patches have been free on PS5 and “belated” PS4 compatibility was out the box.

They've been free but you can't really argue that Smart Delivery isn't better than what's available on PS5. Games like Rocket League and Overwatch are getting updates on Series S and X but not on PS5 because it's more work. 

I had a Series X and got rid of it. Ultimately it served no purpose to me as I’ve a decent PC. Microsoft game studios currently have nothing to offer me as games like Halo and Gears of War have been in a downward spiral for many years. The Bethesda purchase may well change that but I want to play first person games with a mouse & keyboard on PC anyway. I bought a PS5 with the proceeds from the sale of my Series X and it’s been a bit of revelation. I’ve been out of the PlayStation loop for a while so God of War, Days Gone, Ghost of Tsushima, Gran Turismo Sport etc have been a bit of an eye opener. Then you have stuff like Demons Souls and Miles Morales that are miles ahead graphically of anything I played on the Series X. I haven’t even mentioned Last of Us, Uncharted, Horizon etc. Ultimately Sony have some stellar IP to their name and Microsoft didn’t until their ZeniMax purchase so it’s going to take quite a few years for the Xbox to build a comparable quality library. Lastly, the DualSense is far better than the somewhat prehistoric Xbox pad. Even the Elite controller feels dated against what Sony have come up with.

I mostly still play on PC to be honest but have been dabbling in the PS5. It offers things my PC just doesn’t have. The Series X did not do that at all.

PS5 day one. Love it. Great controller. Amazingly quick loading. Also won the silence lottery. Played Astrobot, Demon’s, MM, and last gen games I missed (Spidey, HZD, Control, Tsushima), most in glorious 60Hz, and some with RT too. Zero ragrets here.

Got both on launch day. No regrets whatsoever about doing so, I've enjoyed games on both consoles since then, plus you get to feel like Dr. Manhattan looking down on the single console warriors engaging in their petty format wars.

So far the XBX has been by far my more played console, mostly due to GamePass. When I’m bored and looking for something to play, it's an eye watering experience browsing the PSN store and seeing the prices of stuff I could play for 'free' on my other console. I really like the haptic stuff on the DualSense and it would be nice if MS could release a controller that ripped that off wholesale though.

29 minutes ago, Harsin said:

When I’m bored and looking for something to play, it's an eye watering experience browsing the PSN store and seeing the prices of stuff I could play for 'free' on my other console.

The £450+GP cost to access those ‘free’ games would keep you going in PSN Sales for a while :D.