How do you feel about £70 for a game?

Harsin

The other thing is, I would have much more concern if it was Nintendo charging 70, where it would be 70 quid forever (butfrankly, probably worth it).  Xbox and Sony games freefall in price, through regular digital sales, then price cuts, then ridiculous sales, then on PS+/Gold/GP etc. So you can jump on whenever is priced right for the game.

Hell, for most, they'll be sub £50 before they've ironed out the bugs. Just think of the 70 quid launch, as expensive early access for the beta.

2 hours ago, LaveDisco said:

The other thing is, I would have much more concern if it was Nintendo charging 70, where it would be 70 quid forever (butfrankly, probably worth it).  Xbox and Sony games freefall in price, through regular digital sales, then price cuts, then ridiculous sales, then on PS+/Gold/GP etc. So you can jump on whenever is priced right for the game.

Hell, for most, they'll be sub £50 before they've ironed out the bugs. Just think of the 70 quid launch, as expensive early access for the beta.

You would think but it's 6 weeks on for Returnal and it's still £65 at Amazon.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to buy Metal Gear 5 for a fiver from the Playstation store, just clicking through the screens. Didn't realise the con artists had "You might also like...Mass Effect Legendary edition" as an opt out rather than an opt in. So now have to wait til Monday morning to sort the £70 refund. Shady c***s.

36 minutes ago, makkuwata said:

I went to buy Metal Gear 5 for a fiver from the Playstation store, just clicking through the screens. Didn't realise the con artists had "You might also like...Mass Effect Legendary edition" as an opt out rather than an opt in. So now have to wait til Monday morning to sort the £70 refund. Shady c***s.

Yep, they're fucking horrendous for stuff like this. It's why I NEVER leave payment info on there. I use credit from CDkeys for anything I buy.

I'm pretty sure it would be illegal for a company to automatically opt you into purchasing a completely unrelated product on their store. I suspect something else has happened and you haven't realised it.

That sounds a bit odd to me too. I’ve never heard of an online store that has an opt-out approach to ‘you might also like’ suggestions - surely it would just be an open invitation for complaints?

1 minute ago, Welrain said:

Just tried it on the website....no recommendations or anything added to my basket.

Yes, just tried the same thing on the PS5 store and no recommendations. I think what @Uncle Mike has suggested is probably correct. If you click on the purchase button for a game then back out at the payment confirmation screen, then add something else, the first game is still in your basket on the left hand side. It's not a suggestion, it's what pretty much all online stores do once something is in your basket.

1 minute ago, Qazimod said:

I haven't had card details on my account since the Great PSN Hack of 2011.

Also - only put credit on your account when you know you're about to buy something. It results in a bit of waiting because you need to get the email with the code, but it minimises risk.

Also, it’s cheaper. You can usually get 5% or so off when buying top ups.

I do actually have my CC details on the Nintendo store and keep meaning to take them off (but never on the PS store - Sony have fucked up too many times).

2 hours ago, K said:

That sounds a bit odd to me too. I’ve never heard of an online store that has an opt-out approach to ‘you might also like’ suggestions - surely it would just be an open invitation for complaints?

Not games or digital but Sports Direct do this all the time.

Amazon always opt me in to £3.99 delivery and you have to scroll past the big "buy now" button to see they did so further down the page. I've placed 3 orders where I've got a "thanks! Your order is confirmed" sooner than expected, and I've had to cancel the order and start over. I'm not a Prime customer , but the items qualify for free shipping yet it defaults to £3.99 and deliberately makes it difficult to see you need to actively select it. 

And the Prime thing? Yes, all my older relatives have ended up with Prime they didn't want, at one time or another.

The £70 price thing for PlayStation studio games, best practise imo is simply don’t buy them at launch, and buy them physical if you can. 

Both Returnal and Ratchet are being patched frequently atm as there’s a few post launch bugs, so the ideal time to play them is a month to 6 weeks after launch, because by then they’ll be in actual playable shape. This seems to be a bit of a “new platform” thing if you all remember the state that launch games were in at the start of the PS4/Bone gen! 
Also at that time you’re likely to get a discount on your purchase. 

The Xbox platform feels way more slanted towards fully digital, where as the PlayStation platform is a little more hybrid atm. 

You can then of course punt the game once you’re done. 

I was going to get RE Village over the weekend, been very tempted by the reviews but at £54.99, it didn't appeal. If the publishers don't believe it's a premium £69.99 release, why should I believe it's up there with Ratchet and Clank?

Think I'll just wait for a price hike before I jump in. 

On 20/06/2021 at 07:09, dumpster said:

And the Prime thing? Yes, all my older relatives have ended up with Prime they didn't want, at one time or another.

Bit of a thread de-rail, but my Dad got a new Kindle recently and he swears blind he could not see a way past signing up to a free trial of Prime for the Kindle Lending Library during device activation. Cue a call to walk him through cancelling it...

7 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Yeah that's more like saying you can't see a way to watch Sky Sports on Sky without signing up to Sky :P

I probably didn't explain it very well. To use your example, it was like not being able to sign up to Sky without also adding the Sky Sports package, even though you don't want Sky Sports. Or a trial of Sky Sports. Or Sky! Just Freeview. Where are my socks?

He likes to read purchased books on his Kindle and that's all, is what I'm saying.

sigh

Ah, gotcha! Yeah, that does sound frustrating - probably the typical "massive banner advertising the lending library + Prime; tiny bit of text to turn down the offer" thing.

I honestly think there should be rules against this stuff.  I'm a savvy internet user, I'm aware of all the scams etc.  But when I bought Resident Evil Village on my mobile I clicked "buy now" expecting to be taken to the shopping basket and got the immediate response "thanks for your purchase". It was only the fact I used a gift voucher as part payment that made me double check the amount.  I'd been charged £3.99 postage for the game which very clearly said free postage on the previous screen.  Luckily you can cancel the order and do it again. But Amazon is synonymous with the internet.  It's supposed to be reputable and safe.  My elderly relatives order from Amazon without fear of being scammed.  Yet with their millions of transactions worldwide each day, they must be making millions from this alone.  

Since having a serious eye problem a few years ago I feel very aware of this "let's catch out the old folks" shit.  Last week I got a WiFi security camera from Lidl and on the bottom of the box in the middle of a paragraph of text it said "as part of the Hubble connected system" which translated as "subscribe to the app for £10 a month to access the features listed on the box".  

Must be awful to be elderly.

You can already get Ratchet for about £45 used on eBay, it's only been out 10 days. I wonder if the high initial RRP will mean more games get sold on and so second hand prices drop quicker as the market gets flooded with them.