How do you feel about £70 for a game?

£70 is bullshit obviously but there's a fair few folk in here arguing that who've defended Nintendo releasing rereleases of rereleases at full price which is equally bullshit.

19 minutes ago, Stopharage said:

All the talk of inflation fails to address the fact that a digital download of this game means there’s no shipping costs, no retail costs, no reduction costs, no packaging costs, no instruction booklet costs etc. 

But there will be a cost for storage and backup and, more importantly, traffic. The price for this depends on a lot of factors but each time we download one single game from the PSN service, it might cost Sony more than a dollar for some games and that's a cost generated each and every time you download one of the games in your library.  

44 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

Returnal is a pricing experiment to see whether the market will take a rise for all Sony’s first party games - and potentially third party ones too. Destruction All Stars was supposed to be the guinea pig for this before it became a troubled disaster and found its level - didn’t it eventually retail for £25 after being on PS+?

The question is whether Sony’s arrogance will lead to them blaming the game (and Housemarque) for the poor sales rather than the pricing strategy. Returnal is really bloody excellent, which makes it even more annoying that Sony has gone down this route. Anyway, if Microsoft, Ubisoft, EA and the others see the results (you can bet they’re watching with interest) and don’t raise their own prices to £70, it’s hard to see Sony continuing with this as the outlier. Maybe it’ll try it out on one of its bigger releases (eg. Horizon 2) to see if it works better, but that would be ballsy. Easier to let a smaller game possibly fail than one of its tentpoles, but Sony doesn’t have enough data yet beyond this strategy clearly not working with ‘smaller’ games. It’ll be interesting to see how Ratchet does, which is probably somewhere in the middle in terms of expected sales. If Sony tries it with Returnal, then Ratchet, then Horizon 2, it’ll have pretty much covered the categories of its full price first party releases, and then we’ll see where the chips fall when it releases another smaller game. Personally I can see any new biggies staying at £70, and less well known games or games of a smaller budget going back down to £60 or less next year. 

I really feel for Housemarque. I hope they’re insulated from this shit. 

Both Demon’s Souls and Spider-Man were £70. They sold really well. Many PS4 digital games have been £60 for ages. People will more than likely buy GTA, RDR etc at £99.99 if that was the price they had to pay. The special editions were more than £70.

Returnal has done well so far, considering the circumstances. It will be a success. It’s a fucking awesome game that oozes quality through and through and deserves a place as AAA PlayStation IP. I suspect Sony will be buying Housemarque in the near future.

19 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

But I also think there's a large segment of the audience on here that would hate that - they would prefer the console bit of the industry never changes, even if it becomes more expensive, niche, and irrelevant. They'd be happy being the digital equivalent of the train set industry as long as they get their quota of creatively hidebound remakes from the good old days. They'll happily write wistful tales of the 90s and how exciting it felt with new technology progressing rapidly, but shit themselves if you ask them to buy a game digitally.

Dead on. I think you just have to accept at some point things keep changing - new generations of gamers come onboard that don't care that much about legacy ideas. The market is now diverse enough to support all types of gaming consumers. Although I expect the big £70+ titles will become a niche thing in years to come and GaaS will be more the norm. I look at how my two sons play games... predominately free to play games and are happy to use virtual currency within the games to make them more interesting and add value to their gaming experience.

I'm old school and like variety as I hate sticking in one game ecosystem for a long time. But then I don't have much time to play or at least I have more things that compete for my time. Why stuff like GamePass works for me and buying the odd title throughout the year. 

Something for everyone at every price point. £70 is worth if if you get value from it. However personally think £70+ games will ultimately be a dying breed. 

5 minutes ago, El Spatula said:

£70 is bullshit obviously but there's a fair few folk in here arguing that who've defended Nintendo releasing rereleases of rereleases at full price which is equally bullshit.

To be fair there’s a £20 difference between the two, and the other more important thing to note is that those games have probably all sold in their millions at that price. 

Just now, Stanley said:

To be fair there’s a £20 difference between the two, and the other more important thing to note is that those games have probably all sold in their millions at that price. 

Not when you buy it multiple times at full price there isn't.

Amateurs, I shoplifted a copy. Games cost less than ever before, you just have to be able to run faster than a security guard.

1 minute ago, El Spatula said:

Not when you buy it multiple times at full price there isn't.

Yes of course and we’re talking about a very particular set of circumstances that have lead to Nintendo being able to charge full price for Wii U re-releases - namely the abject failure of that console and the huge success of the Switch. 

3 minutes ago, Harsin said:

Amateurs, I shoplifted a copy. Games cost less than ever before, you just have to be able to run faster than a security guard.

If he catches you it just dumps you back outside the shop. The security guard is going to have to catch you quite a few times before you uncover the unique struggles of his life story however

16 minutes ago, Rayn said:

But there will be a cost for storage and backup and, more importantly, traffic. The price for this depends on a lot of factors but each time we download one single game from the PSN service, it might cost Sony more than a dollar for some games and that's a cost generated each and every time you download one of the games in your library.  

Seeing as we're talking about Sony (and Sony gotta Sony); in the early days of PSN they charged the publisher an additional fee for each sale (after taking their ~30-35% cut) based on the size of the download.

29 minutes ago, CrichStand said:

Both Demon’s Souls and Spider-Man were £70. They sold really well. Many PS4 digital games have been £60 for ages. People will more than likely buy GTA, RDR etc at £99.99 if that was the price they had to pay. The special editions were more than £70.

Returnal has done well so far, considering the circumstances. It will be a success. It’s a fucking awesome game that oozes quality through and through and deserves a place as AAA PlayStation IP. I suspect Sony will be buying Housemarque in the near future.

Miles Morales was actually £50 at launch. You could also get it with the original Spider-Man game for £70. We don’t know how well Demon’s Souls sold, to my knowledge.

35 minutes ago, CrichStand said:

Returnal has done well so far

I haven't really been keeping up, but I thought it'd only sold around 9000* copies in the UK?

*I'm not claiming this to be fact. I read it in another thread on here.

Just now, JPL said:

I haven't really been keeping up, but I thought it'd only sold around 9000 copies in the UK?

Yeah but considering the circumstances. 

22 minutes ago, JPL said:

I haven't really been keeping up, but I thought it'd only sold around 9000* copies in the UK?

Physical. There have been another 450k^ digital copies sold in the UK, to people who planned ahead and bought lots of cheap PSN credit.

^ This may not be the correct figure. Please adjust to your own prejudices about Sony, £70, and the marketability of hardcore rogue bullet-hell shooters to console early adopters after the pubs have reopened.

21 minutes ago, JPL said:

No one knows how well it's sold, other than Sony. It's not shifted a lot of physical copies which doesn't bode massively well, but it also sold out on Amazon the day before it was released (and is still out of stock) so it clearly shifted as many copies as Sony expected it to. Digital sales are likely to be a much bigger percentage of the sales total for Returnal than for something like Pokemon Snap, which it's been compared to regularly.

Generally if a publisher hasn't released a crowing statement a few days after release then a game hasn't done as well as they'd hoped.

I'm just going to ignore the last few pages and put up my answer to the original question.

The jump to $70 just feels unnecessary when you look at the rude health the industry is in overall. The PS4 is probably the most successful console of all time when you consider both hardware and software sales. It won't keep that title for too long as the Switch is still selling brilliantly and will almost certainly reach the 100 million consoles sold landmark before the end of the year. Based on very early indicators its entirely possible the PS5 will also end up surpassing the PS4 as its selling at a faster pace even though its a higher price and also supply constrained at this point. On the Microsoft side of things their strategy for Gamepass is being far better received than everything they were doing for the Xboxone. Its a very different landscape compared to just a few years ago where people had doubts about the viability of dedicated games console going forward. We've seen publisher after publisher announce fantastic financial results and billions spent on studio and publisher acquisitions and investments. 

I hate the inflation comparison as well. The business model around how to sell a game is totally different now compared to the cartridge days. Returnal might not have had a great launch but it'll still keep generating money for years through digital sales. 

Returnal is getting a bit vilified in here at £70, with a few (sadly) hoping for its demise, yet the overwhelming enthusiasm for it can be felt in its thread. A new IP, something that takes inspiration from other games/genres but also feels quite unique. I’m sure many feel it’s value for money.

I’ll be genuinely interested to see what people make of Halo Infinite @ £60 (yes I know it’ll be on GP but we all know that argument and you can’t ignore that it’s also for sale). Is this going to be a tired/comfortable sequel coming out of a bit of development hell or a GOTY contender that moves the series forward. If the former does that make Returnal better value for money? If the latter and they’re both GOTY contenders, is the £10 difference so significant?

You pays your money (or not) and makes your choice.

That's completley false equivalence.

Does it work the other way as well? What if Breath of the Wild 2 comes out at £20 cheaper and is considered a masterpiece that's better than Returnal?

Yeah it’s not in any way comparable, and it should be the other way around - although it’s £60 (which hasn’t been announced either) you can’t ignore the fact it will be available day one on Game Pass which currently has 23 million subscribers. 

I would suggest that Halo Infinite's woes thus far have the sweet sum of naff all to do with how much they eventually plan to charge for each copy.

As others have said, you can’t compare this with Halo Infinite.

Pay £70 for one PSN game.

Compared to consider paying £60 for that new Halo game, then realise you can get that new game and a year’s worth of Gamepass games for around £40. There will obviously be a lot of clueless folks who will still end up buying it for £60 though. 

8 minutes ago, Harsin said:

That's completley false equivalence.

Does it work the other way as well? What if Breath of the Wild 2 comes out at £20 cheaper and is considered a masterpiece that's better than Returnal?

It would yes. That would be a £20 difference and therefore the gap is a bit wider, so more to consider.

8 minutes ago, scoobysi said:

It would yes. That would be a £20 difference and therefore the gap is a bit wider, so more to consider.

It's not 100% clear what you're actually arguing, but it appears you're essentially saying that publishers should charge on a case by case basis according to how 'good' individual games are? This is completely unworkable. There's a reason you tend to have set bands of pricing for products. What metric are you going to use for that to start with? Metacritic? Should God Hand have been given away for next to nothing because IGN didn't like it? That's ignoring the obvious point that you don't know how the public will react to a game before it's out.