Bloomberg - "Sony’s Obsession With Blockbusters Is Stirring Unrest"

Feels a bit weird standing up for a high powered executive like Jim Ryan but lumping him in with Mattrick seems over the top. He's not as polished a media performer as Phil Spencer but he doesn't give off the same "quick get me some holy water and a wooden stake" vibe that oozes from Mattrick and that Wilson lad from EA. 

45 minutes ago, El Spatula said:

I'm unfortunately not one of the GamePass is amazing crew. I have it and subscribe to it but can count on no fingers how many games I've played to completion. It feels like playing games in the Spectrum days. 

I can't help but feel it's gonna Netflix games were everything becomes incredibly average. If nobody is going to play your games to completion and just give it a go and move on then why bother putting effort in.

I have similar thoughts, I already feel a bit overwhelmed with the number of games on PS Plus and now The Collection and Play At Home, what I don’t really need is access to more games. Quality is much more important to me.

5 hours ago, Unofficial Who said:

And I think this is a mistake. I think it's going to work well for the audience who will buy maybe a dozen games across the cycle of a console in terms of ROI

But then I fit this demographic much more than a subscription model which was one of the reasons I chose the PS5 after considering a change to XBOX.

44 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

This really is quite the take. 

The vast majority of people don’t finish games, anyway.

That's me convinced. I'll start believing it's amazing now.

They probably play them for more than one session though.

54 minutes ago, bear said:

Feels a bit weird standing up for a high powered executive like Jim Ryan but lumping him in with Mattrick seems over the top. He's not as polished a media performer as Phil Spencer but he doesn't give off the same "quick get me some holy water and a wooden stake" vibe that oozes from Mattrick and that Wilson lad from EA. 

Let me quote him:

I was at a Gran Turismo event recently where they had PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 games, and the PS1 and the PS2 games, they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this?

As someone who loves retrogames, my reaction is "fuck off, Jim". It's the same kind of vibe when people tell me they don't want to watch any movie in black and white (who would want to watch that?) or in SD or something. And it reminds me a lot of Mattrick saying that anyone who wants backwards compatibility is truly backwards, same sleazy way of looking down on your paying customers for having a preference that doesn't allign with your megacorp line.

39 minutes ago, El Spatula said:

You don’t have to believe it’s amazing. Just that not everyone suddenly feels games are worthless because they didn’t pay for them.

And the idea that people are no longer going to put any effort into games because no one is completing them is just ridiculous. Developers know full well that most of the people who have paid for their games will never see the ending.

And the incentives to making a good game pass game are obvious - word of mouth, more sales on other platforms, DLC and microtransactions, etc. 

So yeah, quite the take. 

2 hours ago, Unofficial Who said:

Yeah, this thread and the news that FF7 Remake is most likely coming to the XBox prompted my partner and I to talk about which console to get next.

Given that the point of difference between the last X-Box and the PS4 was more interesting indie titles on the PS4 and given that I'm paying for GamePass anyway (even just for PC it's amazing value) we've now switched our decision to buying the Series X. It's clear that the PS5 won't be hosting the next Soundshapes, Hohokum or The Last Guardian. My partner's favourite games on the PS4 over the past three years have been Diablo 3, Dragon Age Inquisition and FF7 Remake.

I'm sure Sony will do OK without us. And I'm sure we'll be just as happy with the amount of games on gamepass to the point of not feeling left out in regards to Horizon or Spiderman.

Surely you’d also be considered the inevitable FF7R part 2 which should come out...sometime. I’d say it’s likely that will have the exact same exclusivity window. 

44 minutes ago, El Spatula said:

You just need to look at the Game Pass thread here for how frequently games are dropped barely after an install. 
Im enjoying Game Pass and all the cool things on there...but I’m still playing the games I like to completion, Dishonored recently done and now onto DQ11, which is excellent and playing through the whole thing for “free” is better value than constantly switching. 

19 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

You don’t have to believe it’s amazing. Just that not everyone suddenly feels games are worthless because they didn’t pay for them.

And the idea that people are no longer going to put any effort into games because no one is completing them is just ridiculous. Developers know full well that most of the people who have paid for their games will never see the ending.

And the incentives to making a good game pass game are obvious - word of mouth, more sales on other platforms, DLC and microtransactions, etc. 

So yeah, quite the take. 

Netflix? Started out like this now everything is pretty much piss poor because they know people will watch it for 5 minutes or whatever.

18 minutes ago, El Spatula said:

Netflix? Started out like this now everything is pretty much piss poor because they know people will watch it for 5 minutes or whatever.

I don’t think Netflix set out to make bad shows.

But it’s a poor analogy. Netflix don’t sell you subsequent seasons or DLC.   They don’t need to make a good impression to drive more sales on other platforms. 

Also you seem to be working on the assumption that game pass alone is enough to pay for the production costs of third party games, which is fairly unlikely. 

2 hours ago, El Spatula said:

I'm unfortunately not one of the GamePass is amazing crew. I have it and subscribe to it but can count on no fingers how many games I've played to completion. It feels like playing games in the Spectrum days. 

I can't help but feel it's gonna Netflix games were everything becomes incredibly average. If nobody is going to play your games to completion and just give it a go and move on then why bother putting effort in.

GamePass is full of games I played quite a while ago and everything else I have tried has ended up being abandoned after an hour or two. The Netflix comparison is really good. There's a few classics on there but it's own output is quantity over quality with a couple of exceptions. Sony feel more like HBO. 

I have no idea who is actually subscribing to GamePass. Everyone I know seems to be fixated more by 'games as a service' titles. I also include games that use the season / battle pass model. Destiny 2, Apex Legends, Fortnite etc.

Sony are more Disney than HBO. Gorgeous, beautifully produced, big budget spectacles aimed squarely at the mass market which are mechanically shallow and derivative because they are simply far too expensive to risk alienating anyone. 

3 minutes ago, Majora said:

Sony are more Disney than HBO. Gorgeous, beautifully produced, big budget spectacles aimed squarely at the mass market which are mechanically shallow and derivative because they are simply far too expensive to risk alienating anyone. 

I can’t disagree with this more, it’s not even remotely the case as nothing that Sony have put out in the last generation I would describe as “mechanical shallow and derivative”. 
TLOUp2 for example has the best stealth sand box gameplay since MGSV, and as someone who Plantinum’ed the game, I can tell you that’s very much the case. 

The next game out is Returnal for crying out loud! 
Something like Knack might be, but it’s aimed squarely at a family audience, to add variety.

I really don’t know where people are pulling these takes from? 

As a stealth fan I *really" have to disagree that TLOU2 has "good stealth". It works but eeeh. It's a fun action game tgst is enhanced by lite stealth elements though.

Anyway, as you were.

2 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Let me quote him:

As someone who loves retrogames, my reaction is "fuck off, Jim". It's the same kind of vibe when people tell me they don't want to watch any movie in black and white (who would want to watch that?) or in SD or something. And it reminds me a lot of Mattrick saying that anyone who wants backwards compatibility is truly backwards, same sleazy way of looking down on your paying customers for having a preference that doesn't allign with your megacorp line.

It's a shitty line and it's not one I'd agree with but I think Ryan should be judged on his actions. At the very worst he has just held the rudder steady and reaped the benefits of work done before he took the job. Since he took the top job in 2019 Sony have released good games, their first party capabilities look as  strong as ever, they bought Insomniac, secured some good looking exclusives/exclusivity windows and they are committed to another generation of PSVR. Ryan might give bad interviews but his record so far is not Mattrickesque. I mean Sony under Jim Ryan are more relevant in the PC gaming market than Microsoft were under Mattrick. 

10 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

As a stealth fan I *really" have to disagree that TLOU2 has "good stealth". It works but eeeh. It's a fun action game tgst is enhanced by lite stealth elements though.

Anyway, as you were.

How much of it have you actually played? I fail to see how anyone who is a fan of the genre could find it lacking. It’s by far the most robust game in the genre and with the difficulty up, you absolutely have to fight for survival at every moment. It’s beautifully tense that few games ever even get close to. 

I recently played through Dishonored, and while it is excellent, is far more “chunky” and unrefined in its approach. 

Might I recommend that you play it again? Turn up the difficulty and really get into the resource management and stealthing through the levels? (Especially as Ellie). It’s even less of an action game during her sections. 

2 hours ago, bear said:

He's a complete jabroni, I think he was sent there to destroy Sony. 

I genuinely believe that this will be the last playstation we ever get. 

41 minutes ago, Majora said:

NARRATOR 

‘this is just wrong’

I don’t think either the HBO or Disney analogies hold up. At all.

Despite trying to start them multiple times, I was bored to tears by God of War and Horizon yet enjoyed Spider-Man (and Miles Morales) and The Last of Us 2 a great deal. Astrobot, slight as it is, is lovely too. Since finishing Control though, my PS5 has been turned on only for Blu-Rays (despite the machine being louder overall, it’s a quieter player than the Series X) and when I’m aimlessly looking for a reason to use it, invariably before turning it off 10 minutes later. A frame rate patch for another in the inexplicably enduring Ratchet & Clank series didn’t do anything to change that.

On the other hand, I’ve been playing the Series X a great deal - it does most basic things better than the PS5 from an easier path to native upgrades to existing games (the considerably greater number of games carrying the Optimised for Series X/S badge than their PS4/5 counterparts speaks volumes) to backwards compatibility but - and it’s not an insignificant one - I haven’t spent an awful lot of time on Microsoft’s own games. Halo has largely passed me by since 3 in 2007, Gears of War 1 was enough for me and I’m not enough of a racing fan to spend dozens of hours on Forza. So - as far as existing first party stuff goes - it’s advantage PlayStation, although as I said earlier in the thread, it’s clear that Microsoft’s range is broadening while Sony’s isn’t.

With that said, it wouldn’t be an exaggeration to say I’m delving deep into and subsequently finishing more games than I have in decades, and the reason for that is Game Pass. Yes, I will often install, briefly play and then abandon a game, but that’s no different to the countless times I bought something that I just didn’t get on with (I tried to enjoy you, Powerstone II!). Just as the idea of Sony’s games all being tick-box, point to point affairs with minimal player input is reductive, so is dismissing Game Pass as analogous to PS Now. Taking the already announced day one indies in isolation should be enough to disabuse anyone of that notion.

49 minutes ago, deerokus said:

'Sony are like HBO' is the galaxy-brain take I needed to cheer me up today. 

Nintendo are perhaps a better equivalent to HBO but nonetheless Sony have output some stellar top tier games over numerous years. Blockbusters like Horizon, God of War, Last of Us, Spiderman, Uncharted etc are stellar. Microsoft have a real issue competing with them and their decision to concentrate on GamePass and their purchase of Bethesda suggests they are going about things in a different way. 

19 hours ago, Clipper said:

They like to look cuddly sometimes, so you get a Phil Spencer type character wheeled out but they don't care about gamers only about their wallets.

I honestly think Sony’s biggest failure this gen is not finding a character to represent their brand. It is staggering how well the “Microsoft are pro consumer” spin has taken hold, and I think Phil Spencer seeming like a nice dude and him being just like you with his Battletoads shirt is a major part of that. Microsoft have cultivated a really warm, friendly appearance that inspires loyalty and faith. The closest Sony have had were weirdly sweaty Shaun Layden reading off a card and Mark “my hair says unemployed but my eyes say I eat flesh” Cerny.

1 hour ago, Kevvy Metal said:

TLOUp2 for example has the best stealth sand box gameplay since MGSV, and as someone who Plantinum’ed the game, I can tell you that’s very much the case.  

:lol:

Top tier trolling.

9 minutes ago, Broker said:

I honestly think Sony’s biggest failure this gen is not finding a character to represent their brand. It is staggering how well the “Microsoft are pro consumer” spin has taken hold, and I think Phil Spencer seeming like a nice dude and him being just like you with his Battletoads shirt is a major part of that. Microsoft have cultivated a really warm, friendly appearance that inspires loyalty and faith. The closest Sony have had were weirdly sweaty Shaun Layden reading off a card and Mark “my hair says unemployed but my eyes say I eat flesh” Cerny.

:lol:

Top tier trolling.

Expressing an opinion isn’t trolling. Accusing someone of it is. 

3 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Expressing an opinion isn’t trolling. Accusing someone of it is. 

Is it not a bit you’re doing? It can’t be a stealth sandbox if you only have one stealth option. The only choice to make is the order you neck stab them in. 

On 11/04/2021 at 15:23, Broker said:

Is it not a bit you’re doing? It can’t be a stealth sandbox if you only have one stealth option. The only choice to make is the order you neck stab them in. 

No, and again, don’t accuse that. 

Also you don’t need to neck stab anyone. Get to the end of the section and get through the baracade undetected. Throw bricks and bottles. Use a silencer...etc. 

Also, that’s it from me. Play the game to find out. Or don’t.

In the last year Sony have had things like Bugsnax, The Pathless, Fall Guys, Abe Soulstorm and the upcoming JETT all featuring prominently in their State of Plays, official promotions and given away on PS+

I get that people have just spent hundreds of pounds on something and want to justify why they chose one box over another, but there’s some pretty selective memory happening in this thread.

In a way I'm glad Sony are dropping studios like Studio Japan. From a selfish point of view it releases talent to develop content for multiple platforms. So better for gamers in the end instead of having them locked behind an exclusive hardware paywall.

Nothing wrong with Sony focussing on what works for them they know their audience so why not? 

Quite enjoying gaming again at the moment and it's been a while. I don't even care about exclusive AAA blockbusters, the take too long to develop and when they are released find them mostly disappointing,  tedious and very formulatic but they sell consoles to people. So not really missed them when playing so MS has no AAA blockbuster exclusives. No problem. I can always find something I enjoy playing on their platform. PC or console. 

Looking forward to seeing what gets released over the next year. Something out there for every taste on all gaming devices. Never been a better time to be a gamer so many great games to play at every price point no matter where you choose to game.