Skyrim is a buggy piece of crap...should I persist

Installed the Special Edition then the Nexus mod manager

Played for about an hour before understanding what the fuck was going on and what the mods do

Restarted with the mods I wanted and right performance

Played for 3-4 hours and have a bug in the UI Mod

Kept playing for another hour and now the UI Mod does not let me drop anything and asking me to upgrade a scripts mod.

Uninstalled the UI mod and now the save game cannot load

Now uninstalling the lot and have to restart the whole game.

How the fuck will I know which mods will cause bugs? Im thinking playing without any mods - after about 8 years and multiple editions this is still so buggy.

Is there a mod to skip the start or any recommended mods that are essential only

Yep, you should expect bugs with mods tbh. And without mods. It is a Bethesda game after all!

I don't think I ever completed it. Although I did have a lot of fun. It's an amazing world. Heading up a mountain to see the weather change from bright sunshine to a snowstorm is something else.

Im loving it on XBOX Series S, with auto HDR and 60fps on. So now I can focus on playing..

By playing I mean looking around every 20 seconds to see If I have lost my NPC companion or not. 

Skyrims one of the most overrated games of all time, so I'd say skip it. 

If you want to keep trying, I'd recommend using as few mods as possible, and get the Live Another Life mod to let you skip the intro and choose from a ton of interesting alternative start points. 

Skyrim is one of the best games ever made, and Robdood should be ignored on this subject.  :P

Plain old Skyrim has aged (ten years old in November), but Skyrim VR ... :wub: 

Hey I played 200 hours or so! But man, there's just not much to it on reflection. The gameplay systems are all just a bit dull, the story is lame, acting poor, etc.

Way better off putting time into something like Witcher 3 if you want story, or Breath of the Wild if you want free-form exploration and adventure! 

2 hours ago, makkuwata said:

That's a provocative title and I haven't read a word of this thread. But how dare you. I've bought it 5 times. 

Same here.

PS3 base

PS3 with all DLC

Xbone

PSVR

Switch

The freedom was quite special at the time, but the story and gameplay and missions are pretty guff.

Several other games (as mentioned, Witcher 3 and BotW are very good examples) since do the exploration and freedom just as well but improve massively on those weaknesses. And of course, it looks pretty bleh these days. 

Got it all working with upgraded combat, animals, magic and archery mods.

About to kill my first dragon think.

Is there any real point in doing magic builds and is it worth upgrading lockpicking or stealth or stick to upgrading combat skills mainly.

I always preferred stealth builds to start which gradually changed to more warrior build as I progressed through the game and became stronger.

Lock picking also becomes a doddle once you get that unbreakable lock pick as part of one of the Daedra quests so I wouldn't worry too much about that skill.

11 hours ago, Harrisown said:

The time for this game has passed...

Playing it recently, it’s definitely feeling old. But there’s no replacement. Nothing really does what Skyrim is doing so people continue to go back to it. 

9 hours ago, robdood said:

Hey I played 200 hours or so! But man, there's just not much to it on reflection. The gameplay systems are all just a bit dull, the story is lame, acting poor, etc.

Way better off putting time into something like Witcher 3 if you want story, or Breath of the Wild if you want free-form exploration and adventure! 

Witcher 3 also has a shit story, the difference is that it’s crammed constantly down your throat by cutscenes. Aside from superficial fantasy stuff, I don’t think Witcher has any more in common with skyrim than GTA does. 

BOTW has some exploration that feels good, but there’s little to discover that you won’t have seen in the first few hours. Playing Skyrim recently I stumbled upon a few unique places with fun designs or unusual environmental storytelling that I haven’t seen before in ten years playing it. Zelda also has no RPG systems and doesn’t have the same level of immersion into your character as you’re playing a pre designed hero you can see the whole time. 

There’s just nothing quite like Skyrim.

3 hours ago, cantonarv said:

Got it all working with upgraded combat, animals, magic and archery mods.

About to kill my first dragon think.

Is there any real point in doing magic builds and is it worth upgrading lockpicking or stealth or stick to upgrading combat skills mainly.

Have you played before? If not why would you start with mods?

17 minutes ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

I agree there is nothing like Skyrim, I just wish it had better production values. It's like watching an amazing movie on a worn out VHS.

It’s very noticeable that it’s a game from 2011, but it is a game from 2011. It was designed to run on the Xbox 360. I’d love a modern Elder Scrolls but I don’t think that’s going to happen any time soon, and given what they did to Fallout 4 I’m not sure it will even be what I’m looking for.

58 minutes ago, Broker said:

BOTW has some exploration that feels good, but there’s little to discover that you won’t have seen in the first few hours.

Nah. I spent hundreds of hours on BOTW and was still discovering new and interesting stuff by the end.

7 minutes ago, JPL said:

Nah. I spent hundreds of hours on BOTW and was still discovering new and interesting stuff by the end.

But do you get to walk around the same dark template with a clever, unlocked escape route over and over and over and over? How many draguers does BOTW sport?