Marvel's Loki - 9 June

JohnC

Loki has a serious case of JRPG villain who joins your party and suddenly what was a great threat is getting beaten up by mardy rats.

For a reminder of what Loki used to be like against regular dudes, even without the bits where he's firing lasers from the staff.

On 26/06/2021 at 19:21, Delargey said:

Reveal hidden contents

Chekhov's enchantment 

The question is

Spoiler

When? 

There are two main possibilities - when Sylvie tried to enchant Loki, or when she wakes up from being asleep on the train.

Thought was an ok episode with the two Loki’s sounding each other out but also agree that the setting and fx were a bit ropey at times. The inhabitants were certainly generic sci-fi to the max and the random encounters probably the most video game RPG yet!

Stage 1 - avoid meteorites and get to cover. 
Stage 2 - find energy source. Encounter with NPC who directs you to train

Stage 3 - Get onto train via misdirection. Random NPCs in rags complaining about rich people wearing futuristic pantaloons. 
Stage 4 - Fight on train - make way on foot to final destination

Stage 5 - Find path to shuttle whilst city collapses around you. 

Stage 5 was a mess. My wife asked what was going on. They seemed to wander around in circles having badly choreographed fights with badly dressed generic guards. 

Still looking forward to the next episode but definitely felt like a drop in quality. Sylvie was good though. 

I thought episode 3 was the best so far - after two straight hours of exposition it was nice to have something actually happening, Loki felt a bit more like Loki again, and I'm a sucker for character-based episodes anyway. Maybe it's just because I'm a Doctor Who fan.

It's got the same problem as Falcon/Winter Soldier though - that feeling that we're halfway through already and nothing much has really happened.

Not to step on Brokers toes but we threw out episode one of our Loki specials for free for non patreons. Mainly to give our listeners a preview of what we're doing on there.

If anyone fancies giving it a listen then that would be great. Also feel free to laugh at the obvious thing I clearly missed with the timeline screen or the stupid predictions which after only 3 episodes we already know were ridiculous ones :lol:

I enjoyed Ep 3. Somewhere between Doctor Who, Rick and Morty and The Mandalorian. Two of which I don't like, but I enjoyed it all the same. It had a sort of rambling 60s pulp scifi novel charm to it. I also like the direction of the plot - I assumed it was going to be some sort of hackneyed chase-the-villain time travel thing, and it's clearly building to something else. FX in bits was great and in others had a sort of retro Whovian charm to it.  

Ep 4

Spoiler

With all that pruning, I'm wondering if pruning does actually end people. The whole thing is built on lies already after all.

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Having said that, I've now seen the credits bit :lol:

Spoiler

I don't know which was my favourite part of that: Crocodile Loki or Richard E Grant looking absolutely thoroughly miserable in the 60's comics Loki outfit.

This series is making less sense as it goes along. Also the ... 

Spoiler

fight scene was shite. The whole thing at the end made no sense. If they're going to just prune Mobius then and there, why not Loki and Sylvie too and be done with it? Marching them before the Time Keepers* served what purpose, exactly?

*It was obvious the three time keepers were some Wizard of Oz fuckwittery. Also, I could barely understand a word they fucking said. 

I at least liked where this episode finished, but this is now my least favourite show of the three. 

Could this be...  (Wild speculation after ep.4)

Spoiler

The introduction of the Watchers to the MCU?

They create and run the TVA, behind the mask of the timekeepers, to help humankind, but incidentally create a multiverse, are found out by Loki and pals, cause a catastrophe and vow never to intervene again?

Then again, every story could be hand waved off as the Watchers'.

Never mind.

Another episode of hard exposition there. I dread to think what this would be like of Hiddleston wasn’t carrying it.

4 hours ago, Tet said:

Could this be...  (Wild speculation after ep.4)

Reveal hidden contents

The introduction of the Watchers to the MCU?

They create and run the TVA, behind the mask of the timekeepers, to help humankind, but incidentally create a multiverse, are found out by Loki and pals, cause a catastrophe and vow never to intervene again?

Then again, every story could be hand waved off as the Watchers'.

Never mind.

They’re already in the MCU, post credits of GOTG2. I think they’re confirmed for What If? as well.

Having a character sit down and describe the events of the pre-credits sequence we saw a few minutes earlier is an odd choice. I think they describe the “hiding in apocalypses” idea three or four times in the first five minutes of this episode too, only to then kind of contradict it? The lines in the show are good but the scripts are often really ropey.

That was brilliant, back on form after last week’s detour into Doctor Who territory. 

I also stand by my criticism of last week, as if it hadn’t been given enough of a kicking already - they had a whole episode to develop the relationship and characters of the two Lokis, yet sprung a completely unforeshadowed development right at the beginning of this week’s that felt really jarring as a result. 

I forgive it though because it was such an enjoyable episode overall:

Spoiler

The Time Keepers are fakes!

Owen Wilson’s Dead!

Loki’s dead!

No he’s not!

More Lokis!

Pruning doesn’t kill you!

Lots more questions raised, I can’t wait to see how this all turns out. 

Ugh, time to admit this is awful. First ever Marvel thing I won’t watch again. 

Spoiler

Not sure even seeing a destroyed Avengers building and Thor-oki interest me. I can’t stand how poorly the story has been rolled out. I can’t stand that woman. The leader woman. His boss.

Yeah, I thought this was great. I'm actually slightly miffed that I've got tickets to go watch Black Widow next Wednesday in the IMAX and I won't be able to watch this until Thursday night. :hmm:

Spoiler

The League of Rejected Lokis is a hell of an idea to launch in to for the penultimate episode.

I think I prefer this episodic approach, and Wandavision’s, to the multi-hour adventure thing in Buckfast and the Birdman. Keeps you on your toes.

On 23/06/2021 at 22:19, Thor said:

Oh come on guys ...

Hide contents

None of that episode actually "happened", it's all in Loki's head because Sylvie is in his head, and she's making him believe he's strong enough to resist her because that strokes his ego. She even spells out that she creates an elaborate setting for the stronger minded, which completely passed by Loki due to his arrogance.  And appears to have passed by some of you lot as well. ;) 

But we learned nothing from that episode whatsoever. It did not further the plot at all. 

Hey Smuggy McSmuggerson, would you like your slice of crow pie hot or cold?

Guess Loki really can throw skyscrapers now then.

Much better this week after the wonky previous episode. This show is better at exposition than it is execution. The action sequences are really bad, but the setups are pretty good and the main characters are likeable. 

The show misfires too regularly though.  It gets me excited that we're heading in an interesting direction and then it immediately gets halted in its tracks. 

Spoiler

Most of this involves Owen Wilson, who I think had been excellent but his character isn't used in a satisfactory way. The show starts off suggesting it's heading into buddy time cop territory to hunt a mystery baddie, which still sounds great especially with these two characters that immediately worked well together. That's then halted when Loki goes off on his own and Wilson spends over an episode doing very little. 

This week they finally team up again after a lot of back and forth, we get a speech about trust, about Wilson's taking a gamble but he knows Loki is right, a plan to take down the company! Again, the setup is great! Next scene, it's immediately stopped. Bummer.

The story sort of continues as per the setup, but without Wilson, and the eventual payoff is weakened by him not being there. 

We'll see where it all goes. The story and setup remains interesting enough and this is an improvement over Winter Soldier, but it isn't quite hitting the high marks that the first episode teased. 

I just installed Lego Marvels 2, and……is that miss boss lady’s character in it with Kang, controlling time?? She’s looking like her comic book version, but I’m sure she has the same name. 

6 hours ago, NexivRed said:

I just installed Lego Marvels 2, and……is that miss boss lady’s character in it with Kang, controlling time?? She’s looking like her comic book version, but I’m sure she has the same name. 

Spoiler

Her history pretty much revolved around Kang, either through hatred or being his lover

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ravonna?wprov=sfla1