Outriders - Square Enix co-op shooter

I watched my mate play through this yesterday and I agree, there is a good game in there...somewhere. On the surface though, yikes. 

We watched an Angry Joe playthrough from a year ago and knew about the 13 different difficulties but the one in the demo was too easy. Really hope they are all unlocked from the start. 

Watching the trailer at the end of the demo (after the boss) with its varied backdrops makes me think this might be another Remnant - where the first area is dreary and uninspired, then it gets all colourful and fantastical. 

Here's hoping! 

9 hours ago, jonamok said:

Based on the demo and the much more varied and colourful trailer, I’ll absolutely play through the main campaign, when it’s a tenner or F2P.

Yeah, there's no way I'm even paying £45 from Argentina for it.

It’s visually really dated. Doesn’t exactly show what the PS5 and Series X are capable of. Destiny 2 on the other hand looks unbelievably good on the new consoles. 

• 2 weeks later...

Have to say I had a genuine blast on this tonight (on my loansome) with my pyro character. Did the bunker mission to take out the other ascended guy. I died a lot (the shooting is all over the place, no where near as tight a cover shooter as Gears for example) but the powers were fun to use and I got better the more I played. The key is to move quick and fast between cover and use your powers to full effect.

Will definitely be giving this a go come April 1st, especially as its on Gamepass.

25 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Oh my fucking lol, the Devastator is going to get nerfed into the ground. That's a right old hoot, that class.

I don't think it will. The devs have deliberately leant into the power fantasy in a way Bungie never will with Destiny. I actually think Trickster is the most broken thing ever (even more so than Dev and the never ending reflecting shield) and it feels like that is what they want; people making crazily OP builds with all the mods ect.

Probably the main reason the gunplay is so insipid.

Cool. Will download now. 

Played through the demo with the fire dude and although it's much more fun if you don't play it as a cover shooter he did seem quite weak. 

I imagine with more skills unopened he is a machine though. 

Edit: not available through gamepass to download. Can only buy the game outright. 

32 minutes ago, pinholestar said:

This is playable via Game Pass now if you set your console's location to New Zealand (Settings>System>Language and Location, change 'Location' to New Zealand and then restart console). :)

Gracias!

I'll be giving that a go now.

Played a couple hours. Feels so much better than the demo on series x. Silky smooth (make sure to turn off the awful motion blur) 

Gunplay feels better as well although don't play the game as a cover shooter. I'm a level 10 fire guy and I just charge in like a maniac destroying everything in my way. So satisfying. 

It’s tremendous fun when you throw all caution to the wind and just get stuck in fucking shit up like a whirling dervish of death.

The rather uninspired and drab rusted metal corridors of the areas in the demo soon give way to much more colourful locales as well.

You just have to adjust to the intended rhythm of the combat which is fast, brutal and furious and more akin to Doom’s no-mercy-or-quarter-given face-smashing annihilation and Diablo’s skill cooldown management and chaining of effects, rather than Gears’ or The Division’s peek and plink cover shooting. Play it the way it’s intended and its similarity to those latter two games lies only in the third-person viewpoint. I’m playing as a Trickster and am barely ever in cover. You hide, you die.

The way they’ve tied health regeneration and survivability to killing enemies is really clever too as it forces you to teeter on the edge of its risk-reward mechanic almost constantly. 

It’s a bit janky and a tad low-rent in terms of the character models and fairly mundane sci-fi setting but it’s got it where it really counts.

First impressions of the game proper are very good and the potential build permutations with the multitude of skills and mods on offer are absolutely vast.

I’m loving it so far.

Had a fun time so far. Trickster dashing in, popping bubble and swording dudes in the face so that their skeletal husks explode all over the place in slow motion as your health and shields shoot up to full isn't likely to get old any time soon.

6 hours ago, Ry said:

Played a couple hours. Feels so much better than the demo on series x. Silky smooth (make sure to turn off the awful motion blur) 

Admittedly I have only played the intro up to before you set off to find something (I forget what) but I was disappointed with the performance on the Series X. The intro scene before the game starts is shockingly bad with screen tearing all over the place. Once in the game at the starting area I did notice some screen tearing and bizarrely, some kind of slowdown/lag going on when you go into the options menus. 

Yeah, I found the cutscenes to be awfully juddery on the demo with performance in the game itself ok.

I enjoyed what I played of it though. Got so far as Electric guy boss and thought that was enough of a taster for me. Will agree that the game appears best when rushing in and using your powers in the right combo. For me it was Fire guy with the fire shock wave on cover enemies and fire bomb/energy leech on big meele guys. Looking forward to playing more later.