Outriders - Square Enix co-op shooter

Possibly the most generic game I’ve played in a long time.. but I can’t stop logging in and playing for a couple hours. 

kinda shocked this has come from the team behind bulletstorm, that game was sooo good. Plus they had experience from working on gears judgement, yet the gunplay doesn’t feel anywhere near as satisfying or punchy 

1 minute ago, Akira said:

Possibly the most generic game I’ve played in a long time.. but I can’t stop logging in and playing for a couple hours. 

kinda shocked this has come from the team behind bulletstorm, that game was sooo good. 

I'm not sure how many of the same people are actually involved. The company has merged with epic and then demerged since then, I'd imagine it's a very different place really. 

Like the many Ataris, or how the club calling itself Rangers pretend to be Rangers but aren't 

2 minutes ago, deerokus said:

I'm not sure how many of the same people are actually involved. The company has merged with epic and then demerged since then, I'd imagine it's a very different place really. 

Like the many Ataris, or how the club calling itself Rangers pretend to be Rangers but aren't 

That’s a fair point. Has been some time since they released a game. 

it’s strangely addictive though, and I can’t quite put my finger on why. I really want to like it. What are expeditions? Like strikes in destiny? 

1 hour ago, Akira said:

kinda shocked this has come from the team behind bulletstorm, that game was sooo good. Plus they had experience from working on gears judgement, yet the gunplay doesn’t feel anywhere near as satisfying or punchy 

It’s much more itself once the weapons and builds get going. The initial few levels you’re probably putting the world tier up too much before you’ve enough options and synergies, and so the guns feel flat. Tearing through mobs of animals with fire, lightning and huge explosions feels much more satisfying.

1 hour ago, Akira said:

That’s a fair point. Has been some time since they released a game. 

it’s strangely addictive though, and I can’t quite put my finger on why. I really want to like it. What are expeditions? Like strikes in destiny? 

Not really. It's like an arena battle Vs load of enemies. The faster you win the better prize you get. 

I had a go on this earlier, I'm sure it's already been said but Gears of Destiny X SciFi TV is all I kept thinking, once I'd got through the intro.  I actually think the game should have opened with the waking from the cryo chamber scene as all that came before was so boring, I nearly turned it off.  

After that, once I had 3 powers and the game had opened up,  I actually felt it was alright. If anyone is playing on Xbox and has only done a couple of the opening sections like me,  I'd like to try it co-op.

I played expeditions for a couple of hours with a couple of randoms last night. It was bloody delightful. Managed to get some quality gear as they were playing at a high expedition level. 10 or 11 I think. 

1 minute ago, Muz said:

Servers seem to be down again. I tried a bit of matchmaking earlier and it was a lag fest

There was a 4gb update last night and its fucked the game for me. 

Some of my mods just don't work anymore and the handful of games I played with others were a laggy mess. 

Even when I reran a couple expiditions there was lag and I also got annihilated within minutes on a exhibition tier than I coasted through a day earlier. Going to give it a rest for a bit. 

32 minutes ago, Ry said:

There was a 4gb update last night and its fucked the game for me. 

Some of my mods just don't work anymore and the handful of games I played with others were a laggy mess. 

Even when I reran a couple expiditions there was lag and I also got annihilated within minutes on a exhibition tier than I coasted through a day earlier. Going to give it a rest for a bit. 

Funny you say that, i did think my mods didn't seem to be proccing and i was getting one shot by practically everything but i didn't think it could be the game. 

Bit of a shame as I've loved it and wanted to get into the grind of expeditions but today has really put me off. 

I think the game is well worth paying good money for but the mess of the whole launch would certainly mean i would have returned it by now had i bought it

Finished the main story, and 

Spoiler

I don’t know I was expecting a concentration camp

, at least it committed. Final boss could just go splat though.

Yeah the story takes quite the turn. It's all completely undermined by 

Spoiler

the Caravel turning up earlier because they 'built a better engine'. All the sci fi hokum I can put up with but that right there is a lazy, handwavy fucking bullshit and it treats the player like a fucking idiot. 

12 minutes ago, carlospie said:

The real concern is how does the wheelchair lady get up all the temple stairs?

Or get stuck in the sand. I laughed at that. 

I want to play this game (mostly because it's People Can Fly) but these reports of it being a buggy mess are putting me right off the idea. Guess I'll continue to bang my head against Huntdown on Badass difficulty instead.

11 minutes ago, carlospie said:

To put things into context. I couldn't even join my own game last night. My own, single player game. :)

What are you playing on? I have never had an issue signing in to my own game and playing single player. (xbox)

Addionally, turn off crossplay. I had much better games last night with it off. Still not perfect but much better. It even says crossplay is a beta feature. Didnt notice that before. 

Launch evening aside, I've logged in no issues every time I've gone to play and have never been booted once in 30 odd hours solo on PC. maybe just lucky.

Finished the main quest yesterday. Whilst certain elements are rough and feel scaled back or plain not finished at times, the actual meat of the game, the gunplay, the synergy you can create with weapons/classes and skills is massively impressive. Over my time with the game playing as a sniping Technomancer, I was able to tailor my build to my playstyle almost perfectly thanks to the crafting, so any weakness (crowd control) could be mitigated by swapping weapon skills around.

Legendary LMG with blighted rounds, anomaly singularities and bone shrapnel = :wub:

Time now for a few expeditions before rolling a shotgun bastard.

I am enjoying this game much more than it deserves with its generic sci-fi setting and uninspiring set of characters.

What it does well is the world tiers. Essentially unlocking suitable difficulty levels.

Playing as a trickster, which I quite like. A bit like the Siren in Borderlands. Lots of opportunities to troll enemies, like teleporting behind them with upgraded ammo and using the temporal blade that can wipe out several opponents at once, before sprinting back to cover and trying to draw out their captains.

It is very generic though, and I doubt I will even remember playing the game in 12 months.

My trickster build is hilariously gung ho but when it works it lays down the hurt. Not so awesome against bosses though.

Teleport into group, Venators Knife, shotgun fire willy nilly, temporal blade. Clean up with assault rife. 

Never gets old.

https://www.reddit.com/r/outriders/comments/mnyb6b/world_tier_15_damage_bug_with_detailed_testing/

Looks like once you reach a certain level of gear doing expeditions it breaks the scaling if you go back to the old content and causes you to do far, far less damage than you should be. Solution? Remove a high level piece or replace it with a low level piece.

Shades of that scaling issue with Anthem a bit.

10 minutes ago, Flub said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/outriders/comments/mnyb6b/world_tier_15_damage_bug_with_detailed_testing/

Looks like once you reach a certain level of gear doing expeditions it breaks the scaling if you go back to the old content and causes you to do far, far less damage than you should be. Solution? Remove a high level piece or replace it with a low level piece.

Shades of that scaling issue with Anthem a bit.

I have noticed that. Last night on an exipidition I was doing roughly 120 million damage come the end. Joined a game and played the same expidition at a lower level and I did half that.