Outriders - Square Enix co-op shooter

Yeah it's not even pseudo open world, it's very linear.

I should be bored of this by now. It's very repetitive but I'm still cackling while squishing dudes. Kind of want to start a new class but I reeeeeeeeally can't be fucked going through all the start again.

Apart from the shitty servers, it’s pretty buggy anyway has two crashes back to desktop without warning.

Its a complete mystery each time how much progress you’ll lose as there is t much rhyme or reason the checkpointing.

Yeah I'm done with this until it's patched up. Just got booted again and lost a ton of progress that I really don't fancy repeating. Now stuck on the signing in screen.

Edge 6 or even 5 based on what I played this weekend. Hard to believe it was in development for so long when it feels like a cheap knockoff of other people's ideas and still plays like its unfinished.

Yeah any of the 'fmv' style non-in-engine cutscenes tear like crazy, it's weird. I think they must have been rendered at 25fps or something. 

On series x I've had the game crash to dashboard two or three times. It's very addictive and fun though. 

It’s a strange game this. I mean looking at the disparate elements in isolation it’s total garbage but on the whole I really like it (and I’m as unforgiving as they come). How does that work? I’m confused...

32 minutes ago, max renn said:

It’s a strange game this. I mean looking at the disparate elements in isolation it’s total garbage but on the whole I really like it (and I’m as unforgiving as they come). How does that work? I’m confused...

I'm exactly the same, it's clearly not a very airquotes-good game but it just borrows a lot of things from a lot of games I like and combines them all into something that flicks a lot of my personal switches. 

I totally understand that connectivity issues like this aren't just a simple matter of turning on more servers, but I equally think they could have been better prepared. The minute the Game Pass deal was signed they should have been focusing on making sure their architecture could cope with demand. It's a biggish release from a respectable developer and a big-name publisher in a fallow time of year, of course there's going to be demand for it if it's free. 

The bigger question is why it's always-online at all. That one decision is the cause of so many little problems, not just in connectivity but design as well, and it feels so unnecessary given that most people are surely playing solo and there are no Destiny-style matchmade instances where you can just run into people and help out. You've got those matchmaking flagpoles all over the place, could you not just let me play offline until I activate one of those? Very weird.

Yeah, I've been playing quite a lot of Remnant and Borderlands 3. Both of which are designed as co-op rpg-lite shooters (remnant isn't really a looter shooter but has many of the same elements). Both can be played totally offline. Don't understand why they've gone the destiny/division route when it's not as heavily built around online as those games. 

The fact it took them 5 years to make this reeks of troubled development. I suspect there were a lot of false starts and they started off down various roads that petered out. I mean there's a whole mechanic for upgrading your truck with cosmetics that from what I can tell nobody but you will ever see. 

1 hour ago, Harsin said:

The fact it took them 5 years to make this reeks of troubled development. I suspect there were a lot of false starts and they started off down various roads that petered out. I mean there's a whole mechanic for upgrading your trucks with cosmetics that from what I can tell nobody but you will ever see. 

Yeah that stood out to me too. Very fucking odd. It'll be interesting to see what the end game (if there is an end game) is like or if it suffers like the Avengers game.

Annoying. I got to the

Spoiler

Chrysaloid

boss at Tier 8 and he's ridiculously easy but was taking about nine hours to kill with my weapons. More accurately, about ten minutes to get to phase 2 just running around holding down the button. Fair enough, a little slow, but whatever. Then he brings in those flying fucking bugs right near the end which can melt me instantly. Die a few times, almost weeping with boredom at the length of time it's taking to whittle down his health bar, then get killed again. Fourth try the cooldown I need just stops cooling down. Get melted on literally the last fucking wasp thing in the second cycle with no chance to activate my bubble. 

Drop to Tier 1 because I don't want to spend fifteen minutes plinking away only to get melted by three goddamn bees again, and then I get my first legendary - the Thunderbird drops at level 20 instead of 25 or whatever.

Ha ha, game! Well played, you absolute asshole.

THunderbird is ridiculous though. It's filthy how quickly you can chew through things with it's main lighting perk. The other perk for me was 30% (I think) back in health of crit damage.

I have realised that volcanic rounds in a light machine gun with a 150 clip with the extra volcanic clip rounds is enough to beat any boss in the game regress of world tier. (so far anyway, I'm at 10 so far, still not finished main game) 

Add in perks of gaining health with every shot and summoning lighting upon them every shot then its a breeze. And fucking fun. 

Mobs can be a hassle but I have 3 waves of fire stacked that quickly destroy anyone stupid enough to annoy me. 

Also, it can't be overstated how much the dash mellee ground slam is with the fire dude. It's essential and so op. 

I love this game. 

2 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

Yeah that stood out to me too. Very fucking odd. It'll be interesting to see what the end game (if there is an end game) is like or if it suffers like the Avengers game.

Avengers didn't have any substance in the main game thougho. Total slog. 

Usually I'm one and done with every game ever made but I can see me firing this up to get better loot once in a while. Until it leaves gamepass anyway. 

Update: I now have no Titanium left and a Thunderbird that should, hopefully, destroy everything in sight. Good old crafting!

And yeah, this game is awesome. It's super rough, from countdowns pausing so that you can't use them any more to one time I fell through the game world as soon as I started (you don't die, you just fall until you quit), but I'll take buggy and fun over polished and boring any time.

Yeah. You can usually find things via the map if that happens though, the fast travel points often say what quests are close to them. 

Most notable mishap for me was in Trench town where it told me to talk to Jakub (who was right beside me though I hadn't spotted him) and tried to get me to leave through the main gate into a combat encounter for some reason.

2 hours ago, Kayin Amoh said:

Annoying. I got to the

Hide contents

Chrysaloid

boss at Tier 8 and he's ridiculously easy but was taking about nine hours to kill with my weapons. More accurately, about ten minutes to get to phase 2 just running around holding down the button. Fair enough, a little slow, but whatever. Then he brings in those flying fucking bugs right near the end which can melt me instantly. Die a few times, almost weeping with boredom at the length of time it's taking to whittle down his health bar, then get killed again. Fourth try the cooldown I need just stops cooling down. Get melted on literally the last fucking wasp thing in the second cycle with no chance to activate my bubble. 

Drop to Tier 1 because I don't want to spend fifteen minutes plinking away only to get melted by three goddamn bees again, and then I get my first legendary - the Thunderbird drops at level 20 instead of 25 or whatever.

Ha ha, game! Well played, you absolute asshole.

Is world tier progression linked to anything in particular? I'm at the same boss as your but only on tier 6 and I've done a fair few (not all but most) side missions

I just fought the 1st boss. Think I had more fun there than any boss in the entirety of the Gears franchise. No cheap shots or inscrutable one hit kills, good mix of learnable attack patterns, constant pressure.

This is a way better game than I thought it would be.

56 minutes ago, Muz said:

Is world tier progression linked to anything in particular? I'm at the same boss as your but only on tier 6 and I've done a fair few (not all but most) side missions

Not dying, mainly. If you die you'll lose a chunk of World Tier XP but not your character's XP. You'll gain Tiers from pretty much any battle while on your highest tier so long as you survive the fight, though it doesn't get banked until the last enemy dies.

I think I was kicked once yesterday and it took slightly longer than usual to start a game but it was a good day (connection wise).

At the last boss now (I think). I've enjoyed the story (it's a game, not an award winning novel, it's completely fine) but wow, gets dark at the end! Properly loving the game. I don't think I've played a game this much and almost mainlined it to completion since God of War PS4. Will finish it on my Trickster (level 30) and then deciding between trying the expeditions with randos or carrying on with my level 14 Dev or rolling a new class.

Love it.

I'm enjoying this as an occasional thing to play. Hit my first difficulty spike getting to the second city in an area swamped with countless enemies and a captain (where all the anomaly stuff is going on). Great satisfaction when I finally broke through it and got to the next checkpoint.

Couldn't imagine paying full price for this though and would have felt a little ripped off if I had. It's just very average and generic, the sort of game you would pick up at sub £20 and be fine with. Feels very antiquated as well, would have been fine released 10 years ago amongst games like Gears etc.

22 minutes ago, Jg15 said:

I'm enjoying this as an occasional thing to play. Hit my first difficulty spike getting to the second city in an area swamped with countless enemies and a captain (where all the anomaly stuff is going on). Great satisfaction when I finally broke through it and got to the next checkpoint.

Couldn't imagine paying full price for this though and would have felt a little ripped off if I had. It's just very average and generic, the sort of game you would pick up at sub £20 and be fine with. Feels very antiquated as well, would have been fine released 10 years ago amongst games like Gears etc.

It's funny because i think I'm enjoying it even more because it's very linear, generic and old school. I don't have to worry about checking every path etc, just enjoy the shooting, check out my new gear and move on to the next arena. These days it takes 10 hours just to be able to access a games main systems. This is pretty much great from the off imo