On Trend Food & Drinks - Your Reviews

Gotters

I bought a jar of Loa Gan Ma and we’d finished in about a day and a half! I had it on everything I ate. Definitely good on peanut butter on toast!

I’ve seen jars called different things though. I thought I was buying ‘spicy chilli crisp’ but got crispy chilli in oil in the label. Are they the same? Because I need something even more crispy if they’re different! But I couldn’t seem to find anything to buy that was called spicy chilli crisp. 

On a similar theme, I wish someone would find a way to import Prahok from Cambodia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prahok

It's intensely savoury and fishy fermented fish paste (has that tinned anchovy quality), often used as a seasoning in dishes or (my favourite) fried smal lumps of it with plain white rice.

You can get shrimp paste and the like, but it's just not the same and I've never been able to get close to getting that taste again.

image.png

On 27/02/2021 at 19:53, Davros sock drawer said:

I think I have a problem:

2587ACF0-6D24-4C63-9ED5-198E3D8E51EF.thumb.jpeg.6f242fb691d7723031f7cec3807f8a57.jpeg

The Black Bean one? Utterly sublime, easily the best of the three.

Sainsbury's had the black bean one and I've had it on scrambled eggs two days in a row. It's lovely. 

• 2 months later...

My sister bought me a jar of these Sea Buckthorn Liquorice balls for a belated birthday present. I've seen Sea Buckthorn used a lot on Masterchef etc. (often it's not gone down well), but hadn't tried it until now. It's really good on these. Lemony, orangey, perhaps a hint of peach or something. The rest of the sweet is good too - a lump of nice liquorice surrounded in a pretty good white chocolate (I'm normally not a fan of white chocolate, but it works well here). The sea buckthorn is the star though. I'll be sad when these are gone.

2021-06-01.png.e20a875a7f3a4c5949a7afaedf304673.png

urgh my mouth is just puckering at the thought of Sea Buckthorn (which I dismissed as vile in the OP for this thread) and liquorice, which is one of my most despised tastes in any foodstuff (even worse than coconut).

they must have put a lot of sugar in to make it palatable as in unsweetened juice form that buckthorn had me puckering up like a cats arse.

Yeah - I guessed it was probably highly sweetened from all the comments I'd seen on cooking shows.

Shame you don't like liquorice - I adore it - especially brutal stuff, and Salmiakki (liquorice with Ammonium Chloride in it - stuff that's used to make shampoo and clean soldering irons, but the Scandinavians add it to their sweets).

This thread makes me feel a bit better about having about twelve different types of lao gan ma on the go.

Kewpie mayo is the business, too, though I only buy the red one. The others ain't right. 

11 hours ago, Davros sock drawer said:

I love liquorice. Ikea sell some really nice salted liquorice, and they also sell Dumle:

Liq.png.9745839ee4bf603932915341cc767e55.png

Will have to give that a go next time I pop up to Aldi. I'm a big fan of Zout (I've had to get it from Amazon recently due to Covid - will have to check if the lovely local sweet shop is still in business now - I've not been out that way in a while).

_71qIFWqgL7L._AC_SL1000_.thumb.jpg.e04589796fb5a1a49745f6c7c478ba4f.jpg

I must confess that I'm not massively keen on the LaoGanMa crispy chilli stuff, too oily for my liking (yes, the clue was in the name, I know...) Much prefer harissa, particularly that Belazu stuff, which I use as liberally as some here use the LGM...

1 hour ago, thingymajig said:

I must confess that I'm not massively keen on the LaoGanMa crispy chilli stuff, too oily for my liking (yes, the clue was in the name, I know...) Much prefer harissa, particularly that Belazu stuff, which I use as liberally as some here use the LGM...

I’m going to agree. I am pretty underwhelmed. Not in love with the crunch and I find it a bit salty rather than spicy. Much prefer my Naga pickle to give things a kick. 

Plain boiled rice and the old grandma black bean chilli oil is just too good. Its real use is a condiment like soy sauce or dipping sauce when eating meals for anything. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I bought a Limelon, because it was there in my Sainsbury's. Cross between a lime and a melon, obvs. "How the fuck do you do that?" is the first question.

"Why the fuck would you do that?" is the second question, after eating it.

It's not bad, it's just not that good either. It is like a slightly citrus-y melon, it's just the lime element is giving it sharpness, but not really much in the way of lime flavour. I love lime as a flavour. I love every type of melon I've ever tried (until now). This is - I dunno - the worst of both worlds. Everything I like about melon has been compromised by the introduction of added acidity.

I've only had one go at it - maybe I'll think better of it next time, but it does seem to be a bit unnecessary after my first go.

__limelonLimelon-1591319289792.jpg.9b7db8569fc358c32e2aa585402b62ab.jpg