Games with great HDR. Mark Rothko debates included for free.

2 minutes ago, Marlew said:

@Thor

Hiya mate.

Re: Rothko. You stupid fucking idiot. 

Cheers. 

Night. 

It's just fucking stripes and rectangles. He's fucking shit. People look at his art and see "meaning" ... get fucking fucked! :lol:

Just now, ZOK said:

Well Thor is playing it on a PC and I’m playing it on Stadia, so it’s far more likely I have the deficient experience than he does!

fucking hell Stadia! I'd forgotten you said. I truly know fuck all about Stadia. Is that streaming the PC version? 

I think HRD is probably more of a leap foward than most of the stuff that is being pushed. Ray tracing included. I think RT looks cool and all but for the performance cost I am not sure it is worth it. whereas my mind has been blown by anything I have seen in HDR.

I wish I had known sooner to be honest. I can't believe I waiting this long to get an HDR TV. I have been on the monitor solely until three months ago. I bought the TV for my PS5 in November (LOL). Little did I know the fucking console would be impossible to find.

So now I am still playing almost everything still on the PC monitor and the TV is sitting there idle. my wife has frowned upon bringing my very colorful PC to the living room. 

3 minutes ago, Thor said:

Nice try..

i9 9900k processor

2080ti GFX card

32GB ram

And my TV is an LG C9 (which, by the way, has a higher peak brightness than your LG CX*)

Hide contents

The difference between the C9 and the CX is apparently microscopic. But that doesn't matter. MINE IS BRIGHTER THAN YOURS!! :P 

is a C9 OLED as well? 

wait.... I have the peasant's TV?

giphy.gif

3 minutes ago, Oz said:

fucking hell Stadia! I'd forgotten you said. I truly know fuck all about Stadia. Is that streaming the PC version? 

I’ve no idea - I think it’s closer to the PC version than the trad console versions, but it’s also its own version so who knows.

Just now, Oz said:

is a C9 OLED as well? 

wait.... I have the peasant's TV?

giphy.gif

The C9 is OLED as well, it's just the 2019 model rather than than the 2020 model that is the CX. We both have fucking amazing TVs. @ZOK too. :) 

Just now, ZOK said:

I’ve no idea - I think it’s closer to the PC version than the trad console versions, but it’s also its own version so who knows.

nice. you don't even know what 'the man' is using to run the game for you. 

you will own nothing. and you will love it. 

1 minute ago, Thor said:

The C9 is OLED as well, it's just the 2019 model rather than than the 2020 model that is the CX. We both have fucking amazing TVs. @ZOK too. :) 

next year these TVs will give you a sun tan. fucking hell. 

these TV names are hitting Xbox series X levels of confusing. but sorry back on topic of games with good HDR. let me get back in my box. 

3 hours ago, JoeK said:

So, I've only fairly recently got a TV that can do HDR, and that's by hooking up my PC to it, as currently I'm console-less!

Now, I'm fully aware that HDR on PC games isn't the best anyways, but in general what games are considered 'good' for it?

This afternoon I was giving a few things a run-in and because I'm honestly not the best at judging these things, but these are what I've garnered so far...

1. Cyberpunk is fucking awful with HDR turned on

2. I cannot see any noticeable difference in RDR2

3. Horizon looks pretty great indeed - incredibly vibrant and noticeable superior with HDR on

4. Death Stranding - as befits a game running on the same engine as Horizon, it looks super

Any other games ones that I should give a whirl? 

Also - if there has been a thread on this sort of thing before, I apologise and quite happily will accept assimilation as and when required ;) 

Ori and the will of the wisps 

3 minutes ago, Oz said:

nice. you don't even know what 'the man' is using to run the game for you. 

you will own nothing. and you will love it. 

It might be based on the PC version, but there are definitely distinct differences to how it’s doing certain things....well, according to Digital Foundry.

Have I mentioned I got Cyberpunk 2077 on Stadia, the Chromecast Ultra and the controller for £40 all in? I feel like I don’t mention that enough.

16 minutes ago, Thor said:

It's just fucking stripes and rectangles. He's fucking shit. People look at his art and see "meaning" ... get fucking fucked! :lol:

This isn't necessary, people can like what they like - but you're showing your lack of awareness of the subject. People don't look at Rothko and see meaning. That's not what his art is about. He created it at a time when people were buying art for restaurants and private houses and he didn't want to create art for that market. So he created huge canvases of intense colour that when you experience them up close (ie not with the viewing distance of a gallery size space) are unpleasant and unsettling. He wanted to see if pretentious people would buy it and he liked the idea of people putting up with something they didn't want to be around in order to be fashionable. 

Rothko and his peers were pioneers of trolling. 

43 minutes ago, Marlew said:

@Thor

Hiya mate.

Re: Rothko. You stupid fucking idiot. 

Cheers. 

Night. 

No more of this please either. If you post this shit and then have the temerity to report people's responses to it, you're liable to be banned for wasting mods time. 

Wipeout Omega looks terrific, especially the 2048 stages where most of the scene is in a naturalistic part of the range but the sun and all the sci-fi track hardware are eye searing. The Last Guardian and SotC Remastered, and TLoU Remastered and TLoU 2 are like Death Stranding in that they just look incredibly natural because of the wider range.

For reference this is on my LG LCD which struggles to show high and low parts of the range in the same scene. On an OLED I’m sure all of these would look even better.

RDR2 just looks like an SDR image with the brightness turned all the way up.

2 minutes ago, velma said:

No more of this please either. If you post this shit and then have the temerity to report people's responses to it, you're liable to be banned for wasting mods time. 

I do think it was a factually accurate post given what he said but I note the warning.

I didn't realise that 'modern art lol' was a sincere position on here.

:lol:

1 minute ago, Marlew said:

I do think it was a factually accurate post given what he said but I note the warning.

I didn't realise that 'modern art lol' was a sincere position on here.

Don't generalise. People are under no obligation to like modern art or any other kind of art. Just like people are under no obligation to like anything else. People are absolutely entitled to think modern art is rubbish. And like anything, velma's post about what it is doing is far better than calling someone a fucking idiot. 

8 minutes ago, Marlew said:

8 minutes ago, Marlew said:

'modern art lol' 

Tbf that was pretty much the position of the Dadaists, so I don't think it's an area to argue for an elitist viewpoint 

Anyway I'm going off topic. As you were! 

@velma Well now, this is interesting. You almost never venture into these threads, so I can only deduce that Marlew, or someone else, has genuinely reported my post...

tenor.gif

Fake edit: I was right! :lol: @Marlew for the record I wasn't telling you specifically to get fucked. :coffee:

Velma, you are correct, I had no knowledge of Mark Rothko other than actively disliking his art whenever I saw it. So I just consulted the 100% correct bastion of truth - no, not @ZOK, and not @Wiper either - Wikipedia! :lol:

Sure enough, there's an enlightening section about his Four Seasons Restaurant commission - not bad. But there's also this about his artwork he actually cared about:

... only in expressing basic human emotions—tragedy, ecstasy, doom, and so on. And the fact that a lot of people break down and cry when confronted with my pictures shows that I can communicate those basic human emotions ... The people who weep before my pictures are having the same religious experience I had when I painted them

Religious experience ... when painting fucking rectangles? Are you kidding me? :lol: 

Still, and this shows how very little I knew about the subject prior to tonight, I genuinely thought Mark Rothko was some dude not all that much older than I am (50s or 60s maybe), still alive, and still painting. It was genuinely sad to read about the suicide after the aneurysm. :(

So I've learned something tonight. I've learned that Marlew is a sensitive soul, bless him. :coffee:

Fake edit 2: Now I have to Google what a Dadaist is! @velma, please stop hitting me with culture! :lol:

@velma

@squirtle

Its not a question of him not liking something he doesn't understand. It's the dullard's implication that other people are pretending to get something out of it that I find dismal.

It's not elitist to question someone's ignorance and prejudice.

We can disagree. I'm comfortable with that.

@Alex W. I think the art chat has been exhausted but if there's anything further I'll move it to Arts & Lit

@Thor I did my first degree in the subject and was coincidentally looking at some of my old books on the subject. You have to remember this was a generation who experienced genuine terror at things seen from a first person view on a cinema screen. You can only imagine what they would have made of HDR! 

(Also fwiw I lurk in discussion but rarely have anything worthwhile to post, and I guess even in this thread that's still questionable :lol: )

@Thor I didn't think you were telling me to get fucked. I called you a fucking idiot and reported you because I think it's in everyone's best interests, not least your own, that you should have a temporary ban during which time you could and should have some time for reflection and to stare at some rectangles. You would come back stronger for it, I'm sure. 

Knowing you, after only six to eight sessions of staring at a big orange rectangle and a big red square, you would be singing from the rooftops about Rothko and the balance would be restored.