Returnal - Housemarque blends arcade gameplay and cosmic horror (reviews inside)

After about 20 hours I finally got to the biome 2 boss. I didn’t last long (only just got to the second health bar before it went bananas). I only had about a quarter life bar left.

I have real trouble with severed, especially when there are a few of them and/or mixed with those big octopus things. I don’t know how to deal with them teleporting around me. I’m ok if it’s one severed alone but usually there’s more to deal with. I’ve also learnt not to open those tomb chests or go to bonus rooms in biome 2 because more often than not they’ve been traps.

Cleared out biome 2 to the boss. Much easier than biome 1 as your weapons are so powerful. I really wish there was a temp save point in this game as the time investment on a good run is so long, you just can’t pick up and play this game you really need to invest a few hours that will probably end in a fail. The moment to moment gameplay and the presentation is sooo good though. 

2 hours ago, mexos said:

This game in a nutshell:

Reveal hidden contents

Decide to have a proper go at Ixion. Scoured every room in B1 AND B2. Worked really hard to get the right gun, add ons, leechy bois etc. I'm prepped to the max.

And I kill him! Yay, f u biiiatch! Just in time too - hardly any health. 

Cool - the grappling hook! Hey try it out. Ok. Nice! I like it. Now what? Oh, it want me to grapple over there. Will do. I'm tooled up, will start ripping B3 when I get there!

Grappple! Little bit of a drop to the landing. Aaaaaaand death. 

WHAT!?

Oh yeah. One of my parasites dealt damage on big falls. :hmm: FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.

But you did it! That's the important thing. Progress.

Now on to the hardest part of the game. ;)

Well after an age I finally downed Phrike and the feeling of relief and excitement was amazing. Hit the second biome expecting a quick death and really made some progress. It is SUCH a good game. Absolutely not a typical shooter fan but it just has so much going for it.

43 minutes ago, Hewson said:

Well after an age I finally downed Phrike and the feeling of relief and excitement was amazing. Hit the second biome expecting a quick death and really made some progress. It is SUCH a good game. Absolutely not a typical shooter fan but it just has so much going for it.

That sums up my experience today. As you say, the relief on beating Phrike was huge!

There's been a few times where I've been tempted to throw the towel in and sell it, but happy I've persevered!

Man, I think the pistol is actually the best weapon in the game.

It's also the best weapon for the final boss. I've done it with the pistol, carbine, hollowseeker, pylon driver, rocket launcher and dreadbound, and the pistol is the easiest and quickest by a margin. Hollowseeker a close second.

The pistol is great, yeah.

Speaking of great, I saw this podcast with Jane Perry (Selene).

I really like her performance, especially when you hear the despair and even defeat in her voice. Can't be easy when you have nobody to act against. Going from her to Ethan Winters in Village, who talks way too much and a lot of it is shit, is painful.

4 hours ago, Monkeyspill said:

After about 20 hours I finally got to the biome 2 boss. I didn’t last long (only just got to the second health bar before it went bananas). I only had about a quarter life bar left.

I have real trouble with severed, especially when there are a few of them and/or mixed with those big octopus things. I don’t know how to deal with them teleporting around me. I’m ok if it’s one severed alone but usually there’s more to deal with. I’ve also learnt not to open those tomb chests or go to bonus rooms in biome 2 because more often than not they’ve been traps.

Just stay the fuck away from the severed and keep hammering them. You can see where they're teleporting with the trails they leave but if there's more than one of them that can be a nightmare so I just back off as much as possible and keep moving.

Well, spent an age going through level 1 building up my gun, health etc.  Go through to biome 2 and managed to really perk up the health, get gun to level 10 but had to head out for the evening just before the boss fight. So pauses my game and puts in rest mode. 

Come home a few hours later and my son decided to have a quick game if fortnite on his account while I was out.  

FFS!!!!! Nearly 3 hours of work lost.  

Housemarke please patch this to have a save facility of some kind!!!!!!!

I’m getting close to the platinum trophy and still highly addicted to this wonderful game. All I need is the surveys for 4 of the biomes, easier said than done as the random nature of the levels means they are petty hard to find!

After hearing how someone took 6 mins to reach and kill the last boss, I thought I’d have a go: 18 mins. Found a carbine with leeching rounds and very little else, was good fun.

2 hours ago, imp said:

Man, I think the pistol is actually the best weapon in the game.

It's also the best weapon for the final boss. I've done it with the pistol, carbine, hollowseeker, pylon driver, rocket launcher and dreadbound, and the pistol is the easiest and quickest by a margin. Hollowseeker a close second.

I done got retweeted by Housemarque! Feels weird!

Jesus, had a painful session on this tonight. The run to the Biome 3 boss is so long. I had a great one going, 2 small heals and one large, four or five health extensions, and then I got royally fucked by a big group of those aerial red kamikaze enemies in Biome 3. Any tips for those? They batter me every time.