Which Next Gen console did you buy?

Which Next Gen console did you buy?  

132 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Which Next Gen system did you buy in the last 2 weeks?  As xbox no longer release hardware sales I thought it would be interesting to see if they have caught up a little this gen on the forum at least.  

Sony have sold 111 million PS4 compared to xbox's 47 - well over 2/1.

PS3 and 360 much more neck and neck with 77/76 million sold.

I went for a new graphics card, though in truth there hasn't been any point where I've been interested in either console anyway. The value proposition of the Xbox has little attraction right now as I have Game Pass Ultimate (and unless they get some must-have console exclusives in future I'm not sure that will change at any point) and Sony's big exclusives do nothing for me, other than I'd possibly have a play with Spider-Man and God of War. Not enough to want to fork out for a console for, at any rate (especially as they may improve PS Now on PC so I could play there.) I've never like PlayStation controllers, either.

I am enjoying reading everybody's impressions though - not quite living vicariously through people, but still being happy for their happiness.

I got a PS5, after months of thinking I was going to get an Xbox Series X. For all the good MS have done, not having any games to get me excited for launch did it in for me.

So far I'm very happy with it, but it's early days yet. Also going to pick up a Series S when they're back in stock from MS.

I was looking to upgrade my PC but decided it would cost too much at the moment and I couldn't source the parts easily anyway so decided to keep it as is and luckily ended up with a Series X. 

Really impressed with the Series X fantastic bit of kit, fast, quiet and makes my PC look slow now (thought it was reasonably quick before the Series X!). Everything I've ran on it is lovely, smooth and vibrant. Just enjoy the immediacy of it all - quick to jump in have a blast and drop out again. No technical issues with it at all - well other than weirdness on how the fan sometimes stays on etc but seems to sort itself out so guessing its by design.

I was also considering a PS5 but last couple of games I played on PS4 I didn't really enjoy and not really anything Sony exclusive wise that interests me. Most content I enjoy these days is multi-platform anyway. Do like the idea of DualSense etc however. I'll be keeping an eye on what Sony do although don't expect I'll own a PS5 myself. It will be a PC upgrade first for my VR gaming.

I went for a series X, my gaming friends all still play there, we play every Monday night without fail.  We openly chatted about considering moving to PS5 but the impetus wasn't there, we have the digital library of multiplayer games we move between as well as our own personal purchases.  We all have gamepass and also gameshare so moving away from that would be a challenge.  My family have all been avid gamers since the coleco vision and atari 2600 then sega and nintendo kids. I still fondly remember buying the PS1 as a family present for all my brothers that first Christmas.  I do not fondly remember waiting on my PS2 delivery on launch day, sitting with some student mates drinking and waiting for it to arrive about 9pm that night. I took a break from console gaming, moving to PC to play Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory for years and it was only as we started to wind that down i picked up a 360 and have been happy enough since in xbox ecosystem.  A few months ago I picked up a PS4 to play TLOU2 and other exclusives so i'll have that on the side for a few years to catch up while i use the X for all next gen stuff.  Plus the kids getting a switch so i can play zelda finally. What a time to be alive!

Series X

Skipped Xbone so having all those games I missed out on sat waiting for me on GamePass with eye-popping upgraded 60fps graphics has given me a huge amount to play and I’ve been having a fantastic time with it. Beautifully engineered machine and the general quality of life improvements with the SSD, quick resume and silent running have felt luxurious coming from a base PS4.

No full next-gen launch games is a massive fuck up on their part though and I don’t care what anyone says. If you have a One X then there is absolutely zero need to upgrade right now and you can’t tell me that this is what they would have planned.

PS5 I will get sometime next year when Horizon 2 comes out I expect. I can see that being my ‘main‘ console due to the controller, the fact I generally prefer the PlayStation ecosystem if I had to choose between the two and the likely minimal difference in multi-platform third party games which is something that I always suspected would be the case, despite the frothing talk of the most rabid fanboys.

But GamePass and the Series X hardware have both delivered in spades and I’m really glad I got one and have returned to Xbox after 6 years away. PS5 also looking like it’s delivered on the true next-gen promise and the next 6 or 7 years are going to be a seriously fucking good time to be a console gamer. Great way to end a shitty year.

To misquote the Beastie Boys:

"I can't stand it,

I didn't plan it,

I get such bad FOMO, 

I bought both fo sho"

PS5 was always getting bought but Smyth's had an Xbox Series S for click and collect at 22.30 on launch day and I just, well, I just hit the place order button.

Very happy I did (at the moment, no buyer's remorse yet).

1 minute ago, layten said:

I bought a gfx card in 2018 that's far more powerful than either console. :hat: 

But does it have a clock function with 35 hidden secrets? I think not!

(I started putting money aside at the launch of the pro/one x - rather than buying those - and very glad I did)

2 minutes ago, LaveDisco said:

But does it have a clock function with 35 hidden secrets? I think not!

(I started putting money aside at the launch of the pro/one x - rather than buying those - and very glad I did)

Oh I made sure to buy the best console being released this month. 
2978378C-838A-4248-9A44-FABE289E715C.thumb.jpeg.853316faaa211327704954abec009f08.jpeg

1 hour ago, pinholestar said:

If you have a One X then there is absolutely zero need to upgrade right now

Not a dig at yo but I don’t really understand this statement which you hear quite a bit. In a way it’s repeating MS’s pre release marketing with all the ‘were a platform’ stuff. The reality is that a one x to a series x gives you...

Better Framerates

Better Graphical Effects

Better Resolutions

Better QOL

Better Silence 

In fact about the only thing it doesn’t improve as much is the UI snappiness and even that’s a little bit better. 

Sure, it’s not the end of the world if you don’t upgrade but it’s hard to say it’s not a considerably better experience. 

5 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

Not a dig at yo but I don’t really understand this statement which you hear quite a bit. In a way it’s repeating MS’s pre release marketing with all the ‘were a platform’ stuff. The reality is that a one x to a series x gives you...

Better Framerates

Better Graphical Effects

Better Resolutions

Better QOL

Better Silence 

In fact about the only thing it doesn’t improve as much is the UI snappiness and even that’s a little bit better. 

Sure, it’s not the end of the world if you don’t upgrade but it’s hard to say it’s not a considerably better experience. 

None of those reasons create a need though. There is not a single game you can't play. Nothing you can't do, with an X (or even a base model). 

I love my XSX, but staying with the old consoles now, and keeping that money in your bank, especially during a global pandemic, is a really smart move and I'm not gona try and convince anyone otherwise. 

Poll needs an option for Switch - technically part of the "next gen" (following [Wii/PS3/360] and [WiiU/PS4/XB1] of course), it just arrived early ;) 

I don't own any of them yet; I have enough to be playing on the old gen. I'll probably pick one of them up in 2021...

PS5 DE and RTX 3080. Haven't received the latter yet, but the former is ace. Astro Bot, Demon's Souls and Miles Morales are great games, the DualSense is excellent, the thing is very quiet and that SSD is putting in work. Only tried Days Gone's backwards compatibility and it looks great and runs beatifully. PS5's share play functionality is great as well. Really looking forward to Housemarque's Returnal, which is easily my most anticipated game on the horizon.

Series X for me. I had a PS5 arrive this week but I've given it to my mate for his sons Christmas present. I couldn't bring myself to have that monstrosity in my living room. It's hideous. 

Edit: And the Game and Watch, of course. 

Series X for me.

In theory I should be underwhelmed because I've come from a One X - but I loved that console and it sucked me right back into the Xbox/GamePass ecosystem almost overnight after a couple of years of getting increasingly frustrated with the creaky PS4 Pro and its ridiculous, roaring fan. And the Series X gives me everything I liked about the One X but it's all just better. I love the look of the console, I love the way it's whisper quiet, and I'm playing old games (Hitman 2, Forza Horizon 4) and new games (Ass Creed Valhalla) all looking and running better than I've seen games run before.

We're going to be in the "launch window" for some time I think, meaning slightly tarted-up cross-gen games rather than anything new, but I'm very happy with my purchase and confident that I've made the right choice for me this gen.