Playstation 5 hardware impressions

Jamie John

The haptics and adaptive triggers on the dualsense are great, but... BUT... I prefer the dualshock 4 in terms of how it feels while playing a game, it's just more comfortable for me, the dualsense feels a bit too big it's only really Fifa that made me come to that conclusion, but it's Fifa i play the most and i play using a weird sweaty double claw type grip while playing it and this feels unweildy.

25 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

TBH I really appreciate the minimal packaging mindset Sony has displayed with PS5 gear so far. Just some cardboard and a minimal use of plastic.

To be fair most consumer goods are like that these days. Certainly the new tech things I've bought this year (its been a while since I bought any new tech). My mouse/keyboard/headset for example came in the tiniest boxes with minimal packaging and documentation. Think its part saving money and part the saving the environment. Whatever its great to see. When you consider the volume of consoles manufactured these days anything they can do reduce the carbon footprint of making each one is a bonus. 

I don't really mind how the console looks. It's quite big and not exactly inconspicuous, but if that's what allows it ample cooling and to run quietly then so be it. Am sure as time ticks on we'll get a slimmed down version but for now it's alright and I am pretty sure within a week or so I'll not even give the thing's aesthetics a second thought.

Really liked the pad. Granted, I spent most of my time playing the one piece of software tailored specifically to it (Astro's), but I really enjoyed the haptics and the triggers too. Everything felt like a shiny new toy, which is kind of what I want from a first-day next generation experience.

I know every post on here contains the word big but it really is so very very bloody big. I sort of love it. It makes me laugh every time I look at my TV unit which has to be a positive, right? Like, you'd buy a toaster if it told good jokes over one that didn't, so I think I love it. The Dualsense is everything I wanted it to be. I hope that people don't get too caught up in it and we end up with a situation like on the Switch where indies can't put the time in to do HD rumble well so everything just goes off like a pneumatic drill every time there's a gust of wind. 

It's also a very very quiet thing. Until you put a disc in the drive and the resting quiet of the rest of it makes it sounds like there's a small train in your massive console. But that's fine, I can deal with a disk whirring a bit. 

As for everything else? I'm loving it. I was a PS1/PS2 kid who then moved onto Xbox as my main console for the last two generations and there's really not a better coming home present than Astro Bot. All the little nods to games played in my youth have had me properly smiling. I had a shiter of a day at work yesterday and was shattered so delayed starting my "real" first next gen game, and to say I'm excited for a night of Demon's Souls is quite the understatement.

TLDR: It's a big, quiet beast and I don't have a millimetre of buyers remorse. It's great. 

I've only played Astrobot so far but I can't say this 3D audio thing (headphones plugged into controller, I know it doesn't work on TV speakers yet) has made one jot of difference. Anyone noticed anything much different, maybe other games show it off better?

55 minutes ago, Majora said:

I've only played Astrobot so far but I can't say this 3D audio thing (headphones plugged into controller, I know it doesn't work on TV speakers yet) has made one jot of difference. Anyone noticed anything much different, maybe other games show it off better?

I thought there were some parts of Astrobot where the directionality of the sound was really impressive, e.g. a flock of birds flying at the screen felt like it was going right past my head and off behind me.  It could just be confirmation bias, I will try and test later.  I was blissing out too much to the GPU song :wub:

I know I’m in the minority but I really like the design of the console Vertical, it looks like something a games console should look like, if it was 15 year old me with it in my bedroom I’d think it was well cool, looks like a spaceship,

Trouble is I’ve got a Pregnant Mrs that doesn’t like it as the centre point of the living room :lol:

I’ve convinced her to change the entire “Theme” of the living room just to suit the PS5

3 hours ago, gooner4life said:

The haptics and adaptive triggers on the dualsense are great, but... BUT... I prefer the dualshock 4 in terms of how it feels while playing a game, it's just more comfortable for me, the dualsense feels a bit too big it's only really Fifa that made me come to that conclusion, but it's Fifa i play the most and i play using a weird sweaty double claw type grip while playing it and this feels unweildy.

Wash your mouth out with soap, young man.

I think my first impressions of the PS5 are overwhelmingly positive. It's a massive beast of a chunky unit, so I'm glad I can hide it behind my TV.

It isn't silent, and is noisier during a PS5 workout than in the menus or on a BC game. But it's night and day compared to the PS4 I have, and easily disappears into any other sound in the room - game audio, the whirrs of things like my fridge in the kitchen, other random sounds.

I can't tell whether the OS is a bit of a jumble in reality, or whether it's because it's simultaneously similar and different from PS4. I think muscle memory keeps trying to trick me into doing the wrong thing, where a more different UI might not have done the same.

The controller feels solid and sturdy and well put-together.

And then in playing games on it, it's great. Miles Morales and Astrobot load super-quick. Moving round the UI is fast, the games look great, the controller makes them feel great. Even subtler touches like being able to hear and feel Miles' jump power up are lovely little touches.

The few BC things I've tried have been perfect.

First-time setup was smooth, getting all my saves across was painless, finding and downloading titles is easy.

It's a great, but huge, console.

I'm struggling to pull the triggers down fully when there's a lot of resistance! That makes me sound like a wimp but I mean when I do my hand loses grip of the controller. It's like all these years I've been holding them wrong so i need to adjust my grip. 

Apart from that I love the pad. Feels like the biggest upgrade.

I hope they allow us to turn off the leds on the PS5 soon. Way too bright, especially if they expect us to use it as a media player. With the lights off it's a huge distraction. I have a feeling it does seem as bad when it's vertical but when it's horizontal it's like the led is shining straight in my face.

8 hours ago, The Mighty Ash said:

Is it coil white? I.e does it get louder when you're playing a game?

It does get louder playing a game and a friend of mine says it sounds like coil whine to him. So is it nothing to worry about?

Kinda bums me out that it's louder than the sound coming out the telly. It's about on par with the PS4 running an undemanding game, and I was hoping for something relatively silent. 

27 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

It does get louder playing a game and a friend of mine says it sounds like coil whine to him. So is it nothing to worry about?

Kinda bums me out that it's louder than the sound coming out the telly. It's about on par with the PS4 running an undemanding game, and I was hoping for something relatively silent. 

Are you sure it's not something else then? Or are you playing a game at volume 1/100?

I can hear a bit of coil whine on mine but not when I have headphones on or the volume on my soundbar at any reasonable level. Mainly just if I mute the game. Overall it is a bit noisier than my Series X which has no coil whine at all and a quieter fan during games but it's a big improvement over my launch PS4 in terms of noise.

13 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Are you sure it's not something else then? Or are you playing a game at volume 1/100?

No at normal volume. A friend who's more technically minded than me said he's pretty sure it's coil whine. It's louder than his PS5 for sure, because all he gets is a low buzz, barely audible unless you're really close. While my PS5 is a clearly audible rattling, not a buzz.

But since my previous post I've discussed it more with him and he's convinced it's nothing, just coil whine. I'm unlucky to have received one of the louder ones *and* in my man cave I sit really close to the telly. You know that IT Crowd scene, "Roy I think we're still sitting too close to the television"? Like that. I hoped for a significant improvement over my PS4, and it's just a small improvement - it is what it is.

So, crisis and genuine concerns averted. Back to enjoying the games :)

10 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

But since my previous post I've discussed it more with him and he's convinced it's nothing, just coil whine. I'm unlucky to have received one of the louder ones *and* in my man cave I sit really close to the telly. You know that IT Crowd scene, "Roy I think we're still sitting too close to the television"? Like that. I hoped for a significant improvement over my PS4, and it's just a small improvement - it is what it is.

You could still apply for a replacement, maybe when supplies are slightly better? Could also be misalignment of the fans. I had an issue on my roof years ago and it was driving me insane. Took 2 years of complaining to the property owner for them to send someone to figure out they forget to install the rubbers between the air conditioners of the parking garage and my concrete apartment roof. 

image.thumb.png.53fcbddf4e6e5de75c0b7edd6f789eea.png

P.s. Microsoft actually put clay next to the transformers on the Series X (second chipboard on the bottom row). This prevents coil whine, not sure if Sony employs similar tricks. Maybe yours is a Monday morning model where the robot assembly line didn't drop the clay :p

2 hours ago, Sng said:

I'm struggling to pull the triggers down fully when there's a lot of resistance! That makes me sound like a wimp but I mean when I do my hand loses grip of the controller. It's like all these years I've been holding them wrong so i need to adjust my grip. 

You might be able to alter the strength of the resistance, I’m sure I saw something in setting set to Strong unless that just related to the haptic feedback.

I think people will switch off the haptic stuff in most MP games. Played a few rounds of CoD and while it's fun having stuff like rocket launchers feeling heavy, I definitely felt at a disadvantage by having trigger tension on my guns in terms of fastest draw wins shootouts.

Just now, Harsin said:

I think people will switch off the haptic stuff in most MP games. Played a few rounds of CoD and while it's fun having stuff like rocket launchers feeling heavy, I definitely felt at a disadvantage by having trigger tension on my guns in terms of fastest draw wins shootouts.

It will always be a choice of immersion or speed with any twitch shooter with any immersion building effects that cost the latter. On the extreme end, you get weirdos fucking the gamma on the game settings so they can see people crouching in dark corners even though it makes the game look like shit.  It's more for single player only in that sense.

If it were down to me I'd only enable haptics in shooters for two-stage sniper triggers (increasing recoil if you yank at them), and things like bomb interactions, where these haptics could be used for setting things up through feel rather than timecharge wheels.

Having played with the DS some more, I think its mushier buttons might make it easier to coordinate simultaneous d-pad and button presses in fighting games, because they share a more uniform feeling than a DS4. I definitely prefer the shape of the DS, but find the DS4's buttons snappier (and I've a Battle Beaver d-pad). I think the DS d-pad's terrible for command inputs, but with a BB upgrade should be pretty nice as the four pieces are well-spaced for it.

PS5 noise, for sure. You have to imagine Digital Foundry and others are sent units that were specially chosen, and this tallies with reviews I read that called my projector whisper-quiet. That PJ's about the volume of a regular PC, and I thought it might be a bad 'un so I ordered another while holding onto it. But the second was slightly louder, so I returned that and adjusted my expectations.

And that's informed my view of my PS5, where I think I might get a quieter one (if I could buy one!), but reckon I'm just as likely to get one that's about the same or louder. Performance aside, I think Microsoft have done a much better job with their hardware. Besides their RRoD units, I think their consoles have all been better in terms of build quality.

Yeah, I've been using L1/R1 since Uncharted 2, even though 4's L2/R2 by default. The key thing for me is that haptics won't be used unless it confers an advantage, and increased recoil for snatching at semi-auto triggers is the most logical approach I can think of.

Mad rumble for full-autos is an absolute no-no after a few minutes for most of us.