Chronological list of C64 games

The actual date that an old game was released on is surprisingly hard to determine. If you're just after the year, then that's probably OK, but if you're looking for anything more granular than that, then I'd be surprised if there was a generally accepted release date for most games, particularly really early stuff.

I'm not sure if games even had uniform release dates in the early eighties, I would imagine that when a game hit the market was more a product of when it was delivered to a particular shop, when that shop opened, and when the proprietor decided to put it on the shelf. 

The GameBase64 database holds year of release. Your best bet would be to get hold of the actual database as filtering by year on the website is going to give you hundreds of games to page through. I guess you'd need to determine what the 'big hitters' are.

1 hour ago, Camel said:

The games section of Lemon64 isn't complete, but I'm pretty certain it'll have the major games you're after.

Yeah, it had enough for what I needed.

1 hour ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Consider me intrigued...

If it comes together, I'll be posting in here about it, that's for sure.

5 hours ago, carleton said:

Can you just go through the scans on the Zzap website? They had a review list near the front of each issue. Probably as close as you'll get.

Off topic, but my brother maintained a list of every game that Zzap scored 90% or higher.  He'd update it every month without fail.  We're talking pen and paper days as well.  None of your fancy spreadsheet malarkey. 

1 hour ago, ScouserInExile said:

Off topic, but my brother maintained a list of every game that Zzap scored 90% or higher.  He'd update it every month without fail.  We're talking pen and paper days as well.  None of your fancy spreadsheet malarkey. 

He must have my APB on it then [/humblebrag] 

;)

13 hours ago, ScouserInExile said:

Did he by any chance end up in charge of the track and trace system? 

1 hour ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Did he by any chance end up in charge of the track and trace system? 

I feel his pen and paper list, written in fountain pen on 27 sheets of paper,  annotated with a red biro, list was a better solution that what Serco has produced. For £12b

Oh man, the troubles I had producing a chronological list of games for my C64 games book...

There are lots of games listed by copyright date rather than release date. And if you do search GameBase64, you will find lots of games with release dates in the 1970s well before the C64 actually existed in 1982. (The answer is of course the programs were transferred from other forms of BASIC, the PET or VIC-20).