What was the last game you couldn't stop playing?

Yakuza Kiwami. More out of a sense of obligation than anything else. Started off slow, has a nice middle section, then becomes boring and Majima, Majima, Majima near the end. I kind of liked the Majima-gimmick when it got introduced tbh, but bloody hell. Enough is enough. It also doesn't help that its final boss is Johnny Nobody flying in on Deus Ex Machina airlines, while the "real" final fight that everyone is waiting for is nothing but an encore.

Still, the Kabukichou atmosphere of the game and its environments are excellent and that's what kept me playing.

Ranked Valorant. Same problem I had with competitive Counterstrike & CSGO; I can't get enough of that tactical FPS gameplay loop, even though solo queuing is an utterly miserable experience thanks to everybody being an absolute prick to one another.

I've had to uninstall it. Think I might start  playing Siege...

Mr Driller on Switch is ridiculously addictive.  Like the purity of single player Tetris mentioned earlier, Mr Driller benefits by making sure at every button press that you know exactly how deep you are and how far you have to go. When you lose you can see just how much better you have become and every time you get that bit deeper. It has music that stays in your head for days, loads of brilliant game modes including a fantastic Indiana Jones inspired rock chase, and it really is a game I can't put down .

Star Wars Squadrons. Can’t get enough of it on PSVR. In the heat of the battle I’m finding myself taking it all for granted, but if I get the occasional bit of breathing space to look around I still catch myself thinking ‘Waheeeey, I’m flying in an x-wing!!’.

Although technically that is the *current* game I can’t stop playing. The last one was Horizon Zero Dawn. Something like 150 hours spent on that, but I rushed through to the end of ultra hard mode when I started playing Squadrons.

Hitman (2016) and Hitman 2.

I'd been aware of the Hitman series for ever - of course. But for some reason never gotten around to play one, until my daughter bugged me to get Hitman 2. Then I started watching her, then had a go on her account, then bought all the expansion packs, then started my own game on my account from Hitman 1, then completed the story, then went back and rinsed every level I possibly could of all the feats, assassinations, escalations, SASO (on Master naturally ). I would have completely finished it, but weaned myself off to clear it down once I've got my PS5. Amazing games, and ideally placed for 3 in Jan. :)

Other games I may have gotten utterly stuck into include Civilization, Crusader Kings, Elite, Minecraft, No Mans Sky...

I recently finished Mafia Definitive Edition and Mafia 2 Definitive Edition back to back, which are only the second and third games I've actually finished this year (the first being Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order). I started Mafia 3 but haven't gone back to it in over a week so I guess the honeymoon is over with that series. 

Otherwise, World of Warcraft. 15 years and counting, still play it most days. 

Days Gone is crack.

It has a few too many walk slowly missions but the good more than makes up for it. I think it's sometimes a victim of the limitations of its platform, but the moment to moment gameplay feels great.

Hades is the last game I've been so utterly besotted with that I do stupid things like get out of bed if I wake before my alarm just to play a bit before work.  

It's just a lovely game that pushes all of the right buttons in my brainbox. 

(oh and it really suits having a quick half hour blast or sitting for like 6 hours straight :D)

Last of Us 2. Sold my main consoles after finishing it. And even though I have Oculus Quest and old consoles to play on I really can't be arsed playing any games. 

Not sat down and played a game in months. 

Wreckfest. My lockdown game. Bought it in the PSN sale and hardly touched anything else since - career, nightly racing against randoms, daily/weekly/season challenges, upgrading/tuning, there's so much addictive pull to every aspect of the game. I love the absurdity of racing buses against combine harvesters against hearses. Every race is stupid, unique and spectacular.

8 minutes ago, Ry said:

Last of Us 2. Sold my main consoles after finishing it. And even though I have Oculus Quest and old consoles to play on I really can't be arsed playing any games. 

Not sat down and played a game in months. 

Wow, was LoU2 that depressing?

Recently I felt compelled to keep playing Borderlands 3 and Far Cry 5, but it didn't feel like an addiction, more I was simply enjoying it and wanted to keep playing. The last game where I just lost time totally was probably FEAR 2, of all things. Remember buying that over Christmas 2009, putting it on late one night and basically playing and completing it, took 3 days of solid play. Nothing since then has had that kind of grip on me. 

6 hours ago, teddymeow said:

Ghost of Tsushima.

Just stunning!

Yeah, same here.  One of only two games I've ever platinumed, and that was just as an excuse to spend more time in the world.  Sometimes I load it up just to ride around and explore.  I'm still finding new places.

It's beautiful.

Just now, Benny said:

Wow, was LoU2 that depressing?

Lol na. Loved it. Just had to fund new consoles. 

Lot going on right now and just can't be arsed with games. 

Another for Return of the Obra Dinn just last week. Week or two before that was Shinsekai. Before that, A Short Hike. All on Switch.

Every bloody Picross ever - and the switch SNES catalog just got Mario Picross. :facepalm:

Also on Switch, Splatoon. Played the first for 2 years solid. This last month is the first time I've gone a month without playing Splatoon2 since launch - otherwise I usually get a couple of matches of Clam Blitz in each day. For most days over the past three years.

Any Yakuza game that I start. I have 3 to 6 waiting for me...

Another Hades addict here. It's practically perfect in every way.

Before that it was probably Horizon Zero Dawn, which I finished at least twice including the DLC, got a Platinum trophy (possibly the only one I've ever got, if not then one of only a handful and the only one for a "big" game) and then bought the official guide/making of/art book because I Ioved the world and story so much. I know I'll get a PS5 eventually on the strength of the sequel alone.

1 hour ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Wreckfest. My lockdown game. Bought it in the PSN sale and hardly touched anything else since - career, nightly racing against randoms, daily/weekly/season challenges, upgrading/tuning, there's so much addictive pull to every aspect of the game. I love the absurdity of racing buses against combine harvesters against hearses. Every race is stupid, unique and spectacular.

Same here, it's such good fun and has made me laugh out loud a few times. Nudging someone so that they fishtail and swerve into a wall never gets old. 

4 minutes ago, BubbleFish said:

@Mars and @Uncle Nasty I always fancied it but was out off by some of the reviews suggesting it was a pay to win game. Is that not true then? 

Not even close to the truth. There is one DLC car that gives a bit of an advantage, but anyone using it always gets kicked from the lobby. You're just as likely to win in a school bus as a highly tuned A Class Compact. Most races you'll be wiped out after the second lap anyway and hobbling around on one wheel and a crumpled chassis. Like @Mars said, the game is laugh out loud funny and you will be wiping tears away at some of the insane sights that just happen out of nowhere. You'll be hooning around a figure of eight track and will see a robin reliant being chased down by a tricked out combine harvester covered in saw blades and chains, massive pileups, cars flying overhead, deliberately parked coaches at the entrance to the death loop, the most detailed and spectacular crash physics ever with a completely convincing handling model. It's just so purely playable and addictive.

Buy with confidence.