Analogue Duo - Complete with CD-ROM!

7 minutes ago, Camel said:

Without getting into the whole FPGA is/isn't emulation debate, one of these machines without a slot isn't the same as emulating on a Pi.

Neithers my PC but I wouldn't use it in place of an Analogue system. They serve a specific purpose and its weird to say they aren't as good as an emulator when that doesn't even take carts which is what he was saying.

I can’t believe this thread, and I’m supposed to be the negative one around here!

analogue products are fantastic.

if you want a Mega Sg, buy one. Don’t then complain if they sell out.

whatever this new product is, I’m in day one 

14 hours ago, Camel said:

Without getting into the whole FPGA is/isn't emulation debate, one of these machines without a slot isn't the same as emulating on a Pi.

It isn't but I get the point. I do tend to feel both slot having emulators and FPGAs without a slot are both just pointless middle grounds.

13 hours ago, ulala said:

if you want a Mega Sg, buy one. Don’t then complain if they sell out.

Unless you don't get to day one within 66 seconds.

I'd buy one if they sold them in one of the biggest games markets in the world or in the case of all but 1 of their products sold them at all.

9 minutes ago, Dudley said:

You can buy a Mega SG right now. You could buy the second run of Super NTs for months before they went out of stock. The first runs always sell out quickly, but last I checked that happens to Microsoft and Sony too.

Well you can buy them from their site, if you want to pay ruinous postage and commit to an unknown customs charge and also effectively no warranty.

That is the only one of their 4 products, including one they haven't shipped yet, that you can buy at all, but apparently they're launching something else.

47 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Well you can buy them from their site, if you want to pay ruinous postage and commit to an unknown customs charge and also effectively no warranty.

That is the only one of their 4 products, including one they haven't shipped yet, that you can buy at all, but apparently they're launching something else.

Where does the no warranty thing come from? As I understand it they shipped replacement GG cart adapters to people in the UK with no additional cost or customs sting.

Yes, the international postage is expensive and there's the mysterious DHL charge (which can be wriggled out of), but the rest is just VAT. Note that you'll be paying 20% more for your X-Box Series X than the Americans too. Just roll it into the sticker price and decide if it's worth it to you. My Super NT (second run) and Mega SG (first run) were worth it to me. I was less sure about the Pocket's value proposition, so I didn't try to pre-order - I'll wait for some reviews then maybe buy from the second run.

They're boutique manufacturer and I think it's fair enough that things go in and out of stock - you'll find the same thing in hi-fi, guitar pedals, board games, you name it. But their main products, the Super NT and Mega SG, have been more in-stock than out for the last 12 months, yet this is still used as a stick to beat them with. Also, while the Pocket hasn't shipped yet, they were open about the release being delayed until May 2021 due to the impact of Covid on manufacturing before opening pre-orders in August, so it's not like they've done a bait and switch.

They're not perfect (the cart adapter delay, then duff product on arrival, was a shitshow), but the "you can't even buy their things" line is just a bit tired.

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

I'd buy one if they sold them in one of the biggest games markets in the world or in the case of all but 1 of their products sold them at all.

Absolutely incorrect.

The mega SG was available to pre-order for a month after it was first announced. Since it came back in stock, you can buy it for the last 18 months. You can still buy it right now!

If you want one, get one. Its $189 plus $35 shipping plus UK VAT. 

That's its price. I think its a bargain and paid it, if you don't, dont.

But dont start moaning when it does go out of stock and you didnt get one, cursing out Analogue Interactive.

Same with the Super NT. When it was first available, it was £110 and it DIDNT SELL OUT! It was available for years. Then the Price went up to $189 plus vat and shipping, and it still didn't sell out. 

It sold out earlier this year after a few years of being in stock. Anyone who wanted one, could get one.

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

The postage gets you a machine delivered across the world within 3 days.

The customs charge isnt "unknown", you can calculate it yourself, with a vat calculator. Do you think they make this up?

And of course you have to pay VAT when you import things to the UK. I have to pay it from the USA, from Japan, from Andora. Its not a shock.

your take on this is laughable.

I own a Super NT, Mega SG and the DAC and all three where super easily obtainable, pre-ordered with no issue and they didn’t sell out for a good while after. 

The Pocket is the one product that sold out in seconds, not the case with the other products. 

I’m SuperNT only but I do remember preordering from the first batch even though they’d been open a while. Didn’t pay customs charges either! I got lucky!!

I don’t care about their other stuff enough to order any of it tbh, but I’m into the FPGA thing so here I am!

The DAC makes me laugh though! 

9 minutes ago, Colonel Panic said:

I’m SuperNT only but I do remember preordering from the first batch even though they’d been open a while. Didn’t pay customs charges either! I got lucky!!

I don’t care about their other stuff enough to order any of it tbh, but I’m into the FPGA thing so here I am!

The DAC makes me laugh though! 

It might make you laugh, but it’s a superb device. 
The analogue output of the Super NT & Mega SG is so far and above a real SNES/MD it’s not funny. 

I run all of the above into a Sony PVM, and it looks incredible. 

I’m sure it looks awesome! It’s just the idea of it amuses me.

Ive got a 21” Trinitron and original hardware  NES (RGB modded) and SNES already look amazing on it, so I can only imagine how things look on pro CRTs.

My SuperNT is connected to my office monitor and I’ve got an OSSC for the living room TV so there’s no room for the DAC in my life at the moment. 

The DAC is a great idea if you want to own one Megadrive based console with a lot of options. With it, it allows you to pretty much do everything at the best quality. No need to find a certain version of the hardware or/and modify it to get the best picture possible, as you will have it out of the box.

1 hour ago, Colonel Panic said:

That’s just totally at odds with my collecting habits. Owning one of a console, LOL!

Yeah I can understand as that can be part of the fun of it all.

• Colonel Panic changed the title to New Analogue things - Oct 16th (Prob PC Engine, day one!!!)

Wow, impressive price considering the optical drive. I think I'm in. Surprised they can get away with using the word Duo, mind - but then I guess they used Super and Mega in the others.

I just bought a two port HDMI switcher so my Mega SG/Super NT could share a slot, so this was always going to happen two minutes later.

• Colonel Panic changed the title to Analogue Duo - Complete with CD-ROM!

I like the bit on the site which states that thousands of hours go into engineering the perfection of their cores when Kevtris said that he'd be able to knock an FPGA PCE up in an afternoon.

Having said that I don't think I've ever wanted an Analogue product like I want this one. 

1 hour ago, Lorfarius said:

Why? It's just a word. Google uses it for things like Google Duo.

Dairy and Milk are just words, good luck launching a chocolate bar with them both in the name. 

Seems NEC did have a trademark on Turbo Duo, but it has lapsed. Still, with the Turbografx Mini coming up, it’ll be interesting to see if they try and throw their weight around here.

6 minutes ago, Colonel Panic said:

The usual Twitter dudes are fucked off with the limited quality, get emailed when available stuff.

Totally justified IMO. 100%.

If their products weren't so good there's no way anyone would enjoy being treated with such contempt.