Amiga Mini(?) on the Way?

I'm staking my reputation as the retro folder's most discerning collector on this - there's no way it'll be full size in this day and age.  You heard it here first.

Edit - but I've popped a question mark in there for you.

• Nathan Wind changed the title to Amiga Mini(?) on the Way?
8 minutes ago, Nathan Wind said:

I'm staking my reputation as the retro folder's most discerning collector on this - there's no way it'll be full size in this day and age.  You heard it here first.

71H69e8EjLL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I see what you're saying, Lorfarius, if that's even your real name.  But heed this - the C64 is a considerably smaller creature in the first place. You are as uncorrect as Seanrar. This is a Wind guarantee.

2 minutes ago, Droo said:

Any extra Memory in it?

Nope. I've swapped the HD for a CF card so it will play some WHDLoad games but not all without an expansion.

I've been meaning to eBay it or do a proper ad on here so won't clutter this thread up.

3 hours ago, Nathan Wind said:

Willing to bet a bollock on it?

It will be full sized, exact original spec. HDMI modulator sold separately in the original RF modulator format. Half meg upgrade available separately. Games sold on SD cards which you clip into a full size diskette adapter. Who gives a fuck? Someone’s doing an Amiga that’s going to plug into your telly.

Someone excited - check.

Someone calling the makers cunts - check.

Bunch of people arguing about form factor - check.

We just need seven pages of incredibly dry arguments about the internal spec and we’ll have achieved ‘muk bingo.

Just as I was about to start making a concerted effort to sell all the Amiga stuff I have. I picked the wrong day to give up sniffing glue...

I think I'd be interested in this, despite the fact that I'm getting rid of my actual Amiga. I have one of the full size TheC64s and really like it. I know it's not quite authentic, but it's great having a full sized copy that just works with a modern TV out the box.

Keeping an eye in this.

I don’t care about the C64 so I never gave that so much as a second look, but now this has been teased I am interested as to just how authentic it feels. Did they replicate the feel of the keys or is it something more modern?

33 minutes ago, Nathan Wind said:

I don’t care about the C64 so I never gave that so much as a second look, but now this has been teased I am interested as to just how authentic it feels. Did they replicate the feel of the keys or is it something more modern?

It feels like the original, as an amazing copy n paste job as you could expect. Only problem with it is the joysticks are gash and the fire buttons on loads of them stick. Not a big deal for gaming as you can still use other USB controllers but it really put me off. Same issue the C64 mini had.

I’ve got an Amiga emulator on my computer, and I can play Amiga games on Retropie if I want to play them on the TV - although it feels more authentic playing them on a computer sat on an office chair, I was almost never allowed to plug the Amiga into the big TV - so I probably won’t buy this. Also, my partner would leave me. It would be the equivalent of buying a VHS player with an HDMI cable, and plonking it down in the living room. 

I would love to buy an authentic Amiga mouse with a USB connection, though - if they make one, they’ll hopefully make it available separately. 

I keep having a vague notion to use the excellent Rpi Amiga Software build I have to "build" an Amiga by putting an Rpi in a big keyboard case.

There are actually usb adapters if you can find a broken amiga with a working keyboard but I think you could just as easily build something off a newer keyboard.

5 minutes ago, K said:

I would love to buy an authentic Amiga mouse with a USB connection, though - if they make one, they’ll hopefully make it available separately. 

Yup

The system is so much better with a decent mouse, makes things more playable.

Just now, Lorfarius said:

Yup

The system is so much better with a decent mouse, makes things more playable.

That's the thing - by "authentic Amiga mouse" I mean an optical mouse styled after the classic Amiga mouse with the two grey lozenge-shaped buttons. I don't think I could go back to a mouse with a little rubber ball inside. Plus, finding a non-manky, working one would probably be a faff.

1 minute ago, K said:

That's the thing - by "authentic Amiga mouse" I mean an optical mouse styled after the classic Amiga mouse with the two grey lozenge-shaped buttons. I don't think I could go back to a mouse with a little rubber ball inside. Plus, finding a non-manky, working one would probably be a faff.

Yeah I use a Microsoft Intellipoint with mine. You can really tell the difference on games that need accuracy.

On 13/10/2020 at 09:30, K said:

get yerself a knackered tank mouse and... https://bytemyvdu.wordpress.com/2016/10/11/making-a-classic-usb-amiga-mouse/

On 13/10/2020 at 09:56, Droo said:

It’s gonna be a ballache having to get all the copy protection for all the games.  The box will be mainly full of these. 

image.jpeg.19979908f1f8570123a11fc7cee62d22.jpeg

I have a feeling it will use WHDLoad files, which all have the copy protection removed. 

On 13/10/2020 at 09:20, K said:

Are you referring to the A500/A2000 mouse? I recall the standard A1200/A4000 mouse being an RSI-nightmare (though do have large-ish hands).