Jump to content

Next-Gen Headsets


Recommended Posts

Steelseries Arctis 7x I went for, as something I can use anywhere. Comes with a little USB dongle which plugs into the device you want to use, fully wireless. Battery life is insane, havent had to charge mine yet! sound is really good. Could use a touch more loudness. more than £100 though came to £140 with a code I used YELO12 on the steelseries website @CovisGod @Thor

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/11/2020 at 18:56, SnoopZakaDaVe said:

Steelseries Arctis 7x I went for, as something I can use anywhere. Comes with a little USB dongle which plugs into the device you want to use, fully wireless. Battery life is insane, havent had to charge mine yet! sound is really good. Could use a touch more loudness. more than £100 though came to £140 with a code I used YELO12 on the steelseries website @CovisGod @Thor

 

They are not deafening but I have found them plenty loud enough. One thing to check is that your chat wheel on the right can is not dialled towards the chat as that lowers the volume. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Jamie John said:

The Arctis 7s are down to £99 on Amazon.

 

Someone talk me out of them, quick! I've already got two DACs and two good pairs of good headphones, and I don't even play online, but for some reason I really, really want a pair.

 

Help! :unsure:


 I was going to pick some up but apparently there are some issues with the PS5 with the standard 7s and they sound awful at the moment. Not sure if an update is coming to fix that or not. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Yiggy said:

 

They are not deafening but I have found them plenty loud enough. One thing to check is that your chat wheel on the right can is not dialled towards the chat as that lowers the volume. 


In game I find the sound level is ok but I have to say playing something on Disney + and they were pretty quiet even with them on max.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Shimmyhill said:


In game I find the sound level is ok but I have to say playing something on Disney + and they were pretty quiet even with them on max.


Thats a shame. Not tried anything other than games on mine yet. I wonder if a firmware update could fix it?

 

is there an app or anything that you can use to change settings on them? I thought there was but I couldn’t find it. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Yiggy said:


Thats a shame. Not tried anything other than games on mine yet. I wonder if a firmware update could fix it?

 

is there an app or anything that you can use to change settings on them? I thought there was but I couldn’t find it. 

 


Im not too fussed tbh, gaming is what I bought then for and happy with them for that and I only tried them yesterday with Disney + to see if I could get Atmos going with the headphones and what it was like!

Link to post
Share on other sites

So is this one:

 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SteelSeries-Arctis-Wireless-Headphone-PlayStation/dp/B07GFRPR2D/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=arctis+7x&qid=1606564762&sprefix=arctis+7&sr=8-2

 

Shit for the PS5, and not that loud? I'm still tempted.

 

Also, how big are the cans? My current headphones only just got over me ears and they cause discomfort after a while, I need big cans to completely surround my ears and not rest of them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HarryBizzle said:

@Jamie John Those SteelSeries Arctis 7 issues with PS5 are apparently only with Black Ops Cold War.

 

They have Amazon Warehouse ones going in and out of stock. There’s 30% off Warehouse at the moment so I got Used - Like New for £68.

 

Yes, I may have done the exact same. Oops...

 

Ah well. Maybe it'll give me an excuse to do some more online gaming and actual talking to people.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Arctis 7s showed up today. So far, so good. They seem to work just fine with the PS5. Only issue is that unlike the Playstation Gold Headset, it defaults to outputting audio to the headphones if the dongle is plugged in, regardless of whether the headphones are paired or not. Thankfully, you can change audio output on the PS5 quick menu to get around this. 

 

Would be nice if they charged with USB-C, but I can't really be too fussy about that given what I paid.

 

Sound is good and they are incredibly comfy. I see what Shimmy means about volume, though. I generally don't like things being too loud but have to have them around 80-90% volume.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I grabbed a pair of Astro a50 headphones for £150 in the Amazon warehouse Black Friday sale. 
 

pretty happy with them so far, they work in both Ps5 and Xbox (not tried the mic yet) and are loud and sound great. They are quite heavy high and not a patch on the arctis from a comfort perspective. 
 

Just a switch on the back of the stand to flip between pc and Xbox mode so pretty simple. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, watusi said:

I grabbed a pair of Astro a50 headphones for £150 in the Amazon warehouse Black Friday sale. 
 

pretty happy with them so far, they work in both Ps5 and Xbox (not tried the mic yet) and are loud and sound great. They are quite heavy high and not a patch on the arctis from a comfort perspective. 
 

Just a switch on the back of the stand to flip between pc and Xbox mode so pretty simple. 

 

I managed to pick up the razer nari ultimate's for £80 on the warehouse, they disappeared incredibly quick but I thought at that price worth a go.

 

I've tried them with just COD and SW battlefront II so far, they were incredible, you could feel the explosions through the headset and the gunfire and stuff. I don't know if you can turn down the hypersense stuff so will try to do that as I imagine there might be some games where it becomes more of an annoyance than a positive feature. That said I've only tried them on one game so we'll see.

 

I've never owned an "expensive" set of headphones before so the sound quality is something i'm not used to, they are phenominal though!

Link to post
Share on other sites

You can turn the haptics down. There’s a switch on the headset to switch the volume control between volume and haptics. 
 

I had a pair of those briefly. They were pretty good, massive though!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, watusi said:

You can turn the haptics down. There’s a switch on the headset to switch the volume control between volume and haptics. 
 

I had a pair of those briefly. They were pretty good, massive though!

 

Thank you @watusiI shall have a look at them when i'm back to gaming this evening :)

 

They are big ^_^ They are comfy enough though and my gaming time is rarely more than a few hours so I imagine them being a bit heavier than other models shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Harsin said:

Can you buy extra dongles for the 7X so you don't have to faff about changing it every time you want to change consoles or use it on PC?

I don’t think so. 
 

If you did manage to get another dongle, the only way to re-pair it is via PC so you’d be getting up to do that anyway. 
 

The swapping between machines isn’t too bad. Could be worse. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to do that dick thing of barging in 8 pages deep without reading the rest; are there any headsets which have like active ambient noise cancellation? Is that the right term? Basically I don't want to subject people to whatever shit my OH is watching on TV and I know some Jabra type things do that but I've never seen anything like it for the Xbox/PS4.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Sorry to do that dick thing of barging in 8 pages deep without reading the rest; are there any headsets which have like active ambient noise cancellation? Is that the right term? Basically I don't want to subject people to whatever shit my OH is watching on TV and I know some Jabra type things do that but I've never seen anything like it for the Xbox/PS4.


Theyre not that common if they exist. I’ve not seen any. I guess it’s seen as an expensive extra that most people won’t need in a game space but I get your situation. 
 

If you can’t find one what you could do is buy a pair of regular noise isolating cans and then plug a modus mic into them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Harsin said:

Since Sony decided to put a mic in the DualSense that's always on by default you get to hear all kinds of weird and wonderful stuff from people who don't realise in MP games.


Creepy. They probably want to switch it off by default don’t they?

Link to post
Share on other sites

The 7x don’t seem to pick up much if any noise outside of my voice, don’t pick up my partners voice when sat next to me or the game sound if I leave the speakers on by mistake - my old v-moda setup would pick all that up so I assume they do some sort or filtering or a very narrow range on the mic.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Yiggy said:


Theyre not that common if they exist. I’ve not seen any. I guess it’s seen as an expensive extra that most people won’t need in a game space but I get your situation. 
 

If you can’t find one what you could do is buy a pair of regular noise isolating cans and then plug a modus mic into them.

 

Plug a what what into them?

 

I'll look at the Arctis too, thanks all.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Arctis 7x users. On PS5, when you join a party does the game audio drop significantly? It’s like there’s a weird normal default and party chat default that require me to turn the dial right up and when I leave a party? It deafens me. 
 

Just tried the platinums and this doesn’t do it. Game volume is consistent and then voice is just added at whatever your mix is. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.