Microsoft acquires Bethesda, id, Arkane MEGATON

I think this buyout is so huge it’s a different kettle of fish than the other devs really. It’s more in line with a Disney studio buyout and saying that,  they don’t fuck around now Disney+ is a thing so yeah it wouldn’t be surprising at all if they did keep it all on Xbox for sure.

I do think they should say soon if it will all be exclusive though so people can make a more informed decision if they’re only getting one or the other.

It might seem obvious that they will gate off a load of IP with exclusivity but I'm not so sure. They could have done so with Minecraft which was arguably not worth the monumental backlash it would generate, but releasing/allowing the VR update on Sony's platform? VR might not be a huge mainstream thing but that still seemed a surprisingly open move to me.

I think the big IPs like Fallout and Elder Scrolls will still find their way on to the Playstation but maybe not as quickly.

I think it’s fair to say that as an Xbox fan (though not a fan boy) I would be perfectly happy for Elder Scrolls to be multi-platform if it meant that I got it day one on Gamepass and everyone else had to pay. So long as that’s what MS think is the best business decision. 

I see no benefit in wishing it to be totally exclusive just to stick two fingers up at the opposition. ‘Free’

on Gamepass could well be enough to allow them to catch up. 

It’s an extension of discussion I’ve heard about MS simply paying Devs to have their game on Gamepass day one whilst charging regular amounts on other platforms. They don’t always need to buy the studio. Just having it included in Gamepass is enough to keep adding to the value. 

1 hour ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Yeah it’s a good point. There’s a difference between making something from scratch to keep on your platform and buying something up and taking it away from people. Hence the anger around timed exclusives

The anger around Epic was because they were regularly fucking over people that had supported games through crowdfunding to be launched on certain systems or stores-fronts.

I must have missed the anger train from the last few years of Sony timed exclusives on FIFA, COD, GTA etc.  

2 minutes ago, Mortis said:

Again if MS just wanted gamepass deals with Bethesda I’d expect they could have spent a hell of a lot less than what they did. 

Yup. You don't BUY a bunch of studio's to let them release on competitor hardware.  If they wanted anything like a timed exclusive thing then they'd have just paid them for timed exclusives and it would be a hell off a lot less than $7bn.

59 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

The anger around Epic was because they were regularly fucking over people that had supported games through crowdfunding to be launched on certain systems or stores-fronts.

I must have missed the anger train from the last few years of Sony timed exclusives on FIFA, COD, GTA etc.  

No there’s definitely been anger about Epic buying up exclusives they’ve had no hand in making and people regularly complain about the timed exclusive stuff for consoles.

We don’t see it as much on here as most folks have a PS4 or PC but the negativity around it is out there.

1 hour ago, Sarlaccfood said:

I do think they should say soon if it will all be exclusive though so people can make a more informed decision if they’re only getting one or the other.

As I’ll only buy one next gen console, and I’m 99% sure that will be a PS5, I did ponder whether the acquisition could tempt me over. However, of the existing IPs MS now own I’m only really interested in a new Fallout. After the debacle that was 76 I’m not buying a console in the hope Fallout 5 is amazing. I hope it is for those that will be able to play it, not least because it would be weird not to wish for others to find joy on their chosen platform.

I’m content to stick with PlayStation though, and the sequels on their platform that I’m currently more interested in, such as God of War, Horizon ZD, a full Spider-Man game, and a potential new Naughty Dog game.

It’s cool to have an actual megaton though, especially with E3 absent this year. Even Jeff G sounded animated on the latest Bombcast when discussing the news.

I think Microsoft will wait and end a games conference or Xbox event with a teaser trailer for Fallout 5 or the next Elder Scrolls and it will fade out showing "Xbox console exclusive". That again would be a megaton moment for them.  Probably send Resetera into meltdown too.

Like alot of people I can't see why they would spend this much money unless it was to boost their own first party IP. "case by case" sounds more like we might let Nintendo have some of the smaller titles, a year or two after you got them on Game Pass.

I just don't think the old way of witholding stuff fits in with Microsoft's new model (for want of a better word).

Of course they're going to want to sell Xbox consoles but that's not their primary concern any more. They've had a while generation of having to eat humble pie, maybe they've realised the old way of "Play with our toys in our space or NOT AT ALL" isn't the most sensible thing any more.

They're not stupid. They know TESVI would be a massive coup as an exclusive but they also know that it's make a ridiculous amount of money by chucking it on as many formats as they can, just like Skyrim has.

Anyway it's all academic until a new.game appears from Bethesda and Christ knows when that's going to be.

I'm not sure that it's to Microsoft's advantage to go multiplatform as a publisher in this day and age. They already sell a suite of consoles that covers the same price and feature range as Sony's, so being on PlayStation doesn't open up much in the way of new markets for them except to partisans. As much as they like Game Pass subs, I'm sure they also like the 30% cut on everything else that's sold digitally on the platform. It's easier for them as a publisher and more rewarding for them as the owners of a digital store if everyone just buys Xboxes.

Ahh! Fuck it, they have finally won me over. Fine I’ll buy an Xbox X when Starfield is released. The next Elder Scrolls/Fallout is not coming for a long while.

4 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

I'm not sure that it's to Microsoft's advantage to go multiplatform as a publisher in this day and age. They already sell a suite of consoles that covers the same price and feature range as Sony's, so being on PlayStation doesn't open up much in the way of new markets for them except to partisans. As much as they like Game Pass subs, I'm sure they also like the 30% cut on everything else that's sold digitally on the platform. It's easier for them as a publisher and more rewarding for them as the owners of a digital store if everyone just buys Xboxes.

Nah, the advantages of operating the sole digital store under the tv are something that Microsoft have suddenly entirely given up on, having been the cornerstone of their whole strategy since at least the 360.

Meanwhile, Sony are subsidising the digital PS5 by £££ because they will make the money back through their additional retailer mark up on their digital store.

the cognitive dissonance being displayed by people desperately trying to believe the first isn’t true, while simultaneously accepting the second is, is breathtaking.

ES6 or Starfield on PS5 if and when Game Pass is allowed, with no share of subs to Sony.

Even Michael Fucking Pachter saw it coming. In 2018 he was asked if he expected any large company to shake up the video games industry and he said he expected Bethesda to be sold to either Activision, Microsoft or Amazon by the end of 2020. 

(At around 9:15 in the video)

So even Michael Fucking Pachter knows more than us. :wacko:

I always thought Remedy would be a good fit as a Microsoft first party studio but until now they've bought everyone except Remedy. Never expected Bethesda, the most remarkable thing about that to me is realizing that id Software is now Xbox first party. Madness.

Of course it makes sense that most of the titles are exclusives. But this is also an archaic view of thinking about the industry, much closer to the successful but quite top heavy strategy of Sony. Microsoft’s plan may not involve consoles at all in the years to come and the best way to make the service have value is not just keeping exclusives but also create the market impression that they offer such a cheaper deal in analogy to software than their competitors, that they essentially force them to do something equivalent to compete.

Microsoft’s way of thinking here is so disruptive, especially long term, that I’m not sure Sony has any idea how to deal with it. While they release their AAA games under the risk of bad sales -where one mistake can be their last- and the certainty of raising the prices, Microsoft can finance a whole bunch of AAAs of that level in the space of a typical 7-9 year generation just by having 20m or something subscribers during that timeframe. And this without calculating more subscribers, store sales or other investments. By making GP successful they can essentially have a bad sales AAA and absorb the cost in a couple of years if need be just by the subscribtions. Having these games sell for 80 euros for a couple of years on their opponent’s platform would create such a good buzz for them that it may be exactly what they need to attract more and more numbers.

Come to think of it, having all these AAA games launching on Gamepass is surely running the whole thing at a loss. I could see Gamepass being 2 tier in the future - a price to access newly released titles as well as the full catalogue and a lower price to access the library of titles that have been available for 3 months plus.

Just now, NickC said:

Come to think of it, having all these AAA games launching on Games Pass is surely running the whole thing at a loss. I could see Games Pass being 2 tier in the future - a price to access newly released titles as well as the full catalogue and a price to access the library of titles that have been available for 3 months plus.

Not necessarily. If they can get enough subscribers this might actually earn them more money in the long run.

There are more than 100 million PS4's sold while TLOU2 (arguably Sony's biggest hit this year) sold 5 million. Even with a 30% GP subscriber base on those console numbers that could net Microsoft far more on a yearly basis. PCs count as well. Hell, they already have 15 million subscribers. (Of course, the question is how many used the cheapo-GP route, but in the long run it's a healthy number and growing.)

They might still do a two-tier system and squeeze more money out akin to Netflix 4K but we'll have to see. The basis is pretty solid though.

Obviously Game Pass is making good money but you have to remember that at least a large chunk of that must be going back to the publishers of the games on the service. It’s not free to keep this stuff there. So this idea that it simply funds the development of everything is true but not maybe putting huge untold money bags into stuff. But obviously it’s a more stable finance model.

personally I think they’ll go exclusive with this new stuff. They need lock in at the moment. Sony might not have a direct answer to game pass yet but if MS offered Sony their games but at cost in return for getting a game pass on PS then what happens next gen? MS decide they’re out of hardware? Sony decide in a few years to compete with Game Pass. Now what do MS have? Yes, eventually all these might not have dedicated boxes but is until that happens Ms need to be doing everything to ensure their service model is untouchable.

Let's face it, at this moment in time Microsoft just need some first party games if they are ever to properly challenge Sony again, so the quicker they start getting stuff out there, the more appealing the whole proposition start to become for those on the fence.

11 hours ago, Yiggy said:

I think it’s fair to say that as an Xbox fan (though not a fan boy) I would be perfectly happy for Elder Scrolls to be multi-platform if it meant that I got it day one on Gamepass and everyone else had to pay. So long as that’s what MS think is the best business decision. 

I see no benefit in wishing it to be totally exclusive just to stick two fingers up at the opposition. ‘Free’

on Gamepass could well be enough to allow them to catch up. 

It’s an extension of discussion I’ve heard about MS simply paying Devs to have their game on Gamepass day one whilst charging regular amounts on other platforms. They don’t always need to buy the studio. Just having it included in Gamepass is enough to keep adding to the value. 

Interesting. This will be my first xbox since the original and my lizard brain is going "fuck those PlayStation owners, exclusives ONLY"

I don't even like Bethesda games.

18 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Okay so why not announce it all as exclusive then? It’s the perfect time just as the consoles come out.

I think it's because they're trying to cultivate the appearance of being the "nice guys" of the console business. There's no way in hell they allow these games on to the Playstation. But if they come out and say it they're going to lose that chummy veneer Phil Spencer has worked so hard to put in place.

Happy to be proved wrong as it will save me having to own both, but I fully expect to be buying a console when Elder Scrolls 6 or Fallout 5 is announced.

Bookmarking because there's going to be a lot of crow eating in here when the first non-contractually obligated Bethesda game doesn't come out on PS5. Obviously, I'll eat the crow if I'm wrong and, say, Fallout 5 does come out on PS5.

But I won't.

Because I'm right.

People are in lala land if they think that MS spent £7billion to get people buying PS5’s. They want to have their own exclusives, why would anyone buy an Xbox regardless of game pass if the PS5 has MS games as well as Sony exclusives? MS aren’t trying to play some weird 4D chess, they simply want more people buying their new consoles.. If you want to play Sea of Thieves you need an Xbox just like if you want the next elder  scrolls you’d need an Xbox. That’s a bit obvious. Can cross your fingers and hope for a PS5 release but can’t complain when it inevitably doesn’t happen.