Microsoft acquires Bethesda, id, Arkane MEGATON

10 minutes ago, Benny said:

Imagine slaving away on a great original game like The Outer Worlds only for the internet to tell you to get back in the kitchen and work on another Fallout yet again.

To be fair, they seemingly copied Fallout 4 (TOW), Elder Scrolls (Awaken) and Fallout 76 (Grounded). So it doesn't sound like they'd mind it that much.

38 minutes ago, Gabe said:

The PS4 hasn't had an Elder Scrolls title and that's done just fine, so I highly doubt there are millions of people that will now immediately jump over to the Xbox because of a game that will come out in x years.

...skyrim

Probably total guff but people on GAF theorizing that MS announce a Sega partnership at TGS thanks to this:

Which is Sega blue, but I think is a bit of a stretch.

Other rumours about two more (small) studio purchases yet to be announced too - I think that's more likely. My money would be on DontNod and Asobo.

5 minutes ago, Isaac said:

Other rumours about two more (small) studio purchases yet to be announced too - I think that's more likely. My money would be on DontNod and Asobo

Neither's that small.  They're both 200+ employees. Small relative to Zenimax I suppose!

They could probably snap up Sega for under $5Bn. Pocket change!

1 minute ago, monkeydog said:

Neither's that small.  They're both 200+ employees. Small relative to Zenimax I suppose!

They could probably snap up Sega for under $5Bn. Pocket change!

DontNod have a market cap of 65 mil EUR and Asobo aren't publicly traded but won't be worth much more.

So in the grand scheme of things, next to $6.5 billion they're pocket change!

After the news yesterday, Sega seems like a far more realistic rumour. :p If it meant Microsoft could throw money at the licensing issues for stuff like OutRun 2 and Jet Set Radio then I'd be all for it.

8 hours ago, SeanR said:

and yet exclusive to the bone is a good thing?

#hypocrite

I'm struggling with this post. The whole thing about the Playstation has been their exclusives, forever. They didn't even need to pay for it, devs just did PS like others tediously only do iOS. Talk about the Xbox is always prefaced with it having no games, code for none of these exclusives. 

So Microsoft either play catchup by hoping devs decide to be exclusive, or they start up studios, buy studios, or buy the whole damn publisher. But there's complaints to all of these strategies. 

You should want it to work to some degree, as apparently we keep having to say, because no competition benefits shareholders, not you. 

Blimey Charlie. 

16 minutes ago, Isaac said:

Probably total guff but people on GAF theorizing that MS announce a Sega partnership at TGS thanks to this:

Which is Sega blue, but I think is a bit of a stretch.

Other rumours about two more (small) studio purchases yet to be announced too - I think that's more likely. My money would be on DontNod and Asobo.

Well I'm convinced lol

It makes you wonder if come next gen, MS and Sony will declare something of a truce and decide that instead of doubling up on the cost of hardware development and distribution across the whole of Azure, they just agree a spec and Sony essentially gets its own Playstation branded front end and subscription service, with MS getting an Azure cut.

Or who knows, maybe Google will pull a YouTube and buy Playstation outright or work in collaboration with Sony to replace their ailing Stadia service.

The Playstation brand is one of the the most powerful in the industry, so it would be a game changer for any of the big tech firms to have on board, if they were serious about getting in on the games as a service market.

Yeah, there could be quite some realigning over the next few years. Bottom line though is that unless you're deeply invested in which corporation "wins", there should be no shortage of games coming out from your favourite publishers and developers.

2 minutes ago, Robo_1 said:

It makes you wonder if come next gen, MS and Sony will declare something of a truce and decide that instead of doubling up on the cost of hardware development and distribution across the whole of Azure, they just agree a spec

Suddenly the Xbox naming convention makes sense.

Microsoft series S series X

MSX!

Regarding the Sega rumours, I don't really buy it and I'm pretty sure there are laws preventing any kind of purchase. However, there was  mention a week or two back of Microsoft spending a lot of money on something which is not an acquisition. Most people now assume that was related to Bethesda, but what if it wasn't? Maybe they've made a deal with Sega for their back catalog and possibly some future titles going to GamePass.  Gain some traction in the Japanese market (which they've always lacked) and with TGS coming up and them doing a "showcase" it will make for interesting viewing!

Just now, Doctor Shark said:

Really though, honestly now, how relevant are sega these days, truly? I mean...come on. Be honest. 

How dare you besmirch the developer of the Yakuza franchise.

Also Sonic is still absolutely massive.

But yeah, I don't think it's a buy out, but could see some paid exclusivity / back catalogue purchasing going on.

Perhaps MS has bought Sega's entire first party Dreamcast output.

I mean, obviously aren't buying Sega, unless the appropriate channel for public companies to buy one another is teases via Twitter. I'm sure the relevant regulatory authorities and stock markets would love that, if true.

It's possibly a collaboration of some kind, perhaps new games on Game Pass or back-catalogue titles.

2 hours ago, Robo_1 said:

It makes you wonder if come next gen, MS and Sony will declare something of a truce and decide that instead of doubling up on the cost of hardware development and distribution across the whole of Azure, they just agree a spec and Sony essentially gets its own Playstation branded front end and subscription service, with MS getting an Azure cut.

Wasn't there a rumour or announcement that MS had agreed to exactly that for Sony and maaaybe Nintendo too?

My sense here is that both Sony and Nintendo as content producers have a big decision to make around how they get their content to market in the future.