Microsoft acquires Bethesda, id, Arkane MEGATON

9 minutes ago, Cosmic_Guru said:

No one knows the detail but it will be a mixture of things - people buying the games they have discovered when they rotate out (for the non 1st party games that is such as RDR2 - so far the 1st party ones have been there to stay), or buying dlc for them, or recommending them to friends who don't have game pass.  Easy exposure to 15 million potential players is something I imagine most smaller devs would fall off their chairs to obtain, so it won't c cost much to get them on board.  

Another recap: If a common person buys a console game it's usually 1 to 2 titles a year (you're pretty much a core gamer if you buy more than that). A typical hit game hits 3-5 million sales or about 10% of total available market with a single transaction. This can potentially be boosted with special editions, DLC, MTX, the works.

If you can get that percentage of people to pay for a monthly sub instead of buying one game a year, there's a more steady amount of money rolling in without much need for marketing or big content risks. On top of that you can have out-cycle sales for stuff leaving GP and the usual DLC, MTX, the works. Never mind if you can boost sub numbers above 50% which shouldn't be impossible for Game Pass.

It'll be interesting to see how devs will be rewarded. Play time? Installed/Accessed? Lump sum? The only thing that's for sure is that this is going to be generating a pretty penny for Microsoft.

1 hour ago, Anne Summers said:

Microsoft have won the next gen already haven't they?

Depends on which Japanese developer they announce they have bought on their TGS opening presentation.

35 minutes ago, Broker said:

I’ve never really understood game consumer’s obsession with the idea that “competition” between two or three giant corporations is good, or leads to better value. 

Just in the short term:

* Sony: £70. Buy Spiderman again if you want PS5 enhancements.

* Microsoft: £10 Xbox Games Pass/month. We'll throw in enhancements to FH4, GoW5 etc.

But we know you don't want to buy an Xbox and love Sony's Exclusives. You've made that clear enough.

And it's not MS being nice because if we didn't have competition we'd have had Kinect not letting you watch movies if there's more than 1 person in the room and Physical games you can't resell for the last 7 years.

And like fuck would gamepass have ever happened.

16 minutes ago, footle said:

Just in the short term:

* Sony: £70. Buy Spiderman again if you want PS5 enhancements.

* Microsoft: £10 Xbox Games Pass/month. We'll throw in enhancements to FH4, GoW5 etc.

But we know you don't want to buy an Xbox and love Sony's Exclusives. You've made that clear enough.

Wow, what compelling evidence that if there were only one platform the value would be worse, presenting an example from the situation we’re in now with two platforms where the value is terrible. I notice you’ve also ignored the post where I was negative about the last of us, as that doesn’t really tie into the console wars narrative you’re trying to use to dismiss everything I say. You’re talking absolute shite then trying to make it sound like I’m the fanboy? Please fuck off.

4 hours ago, Broker said:

What an odd post. I don’t think Nintendo are for sale, especially not to either of the companies that would destroy the way they do business and have never managed to match them in the marketplace they invented. 

Bonus points for 2010’s hottest prediction “Google and Amazon are coming for the games industry!”, you forgot Apple though. I don’t know why people keep thinking those guys are going to make big investments in games. Amazon bought an engine fork eight years ago, have hired hundreds of people to put out one MMO and that’s it. They’ve been on the edge of the industry for years but have never really invested. Google are already well into the phase where they abandon their projects usually, and xCloud is about to brutally murder Stadia, which they’ll most likely watch before shrugging and wandering off. 

People are thinking Google and Amazon are going to make big investment in games because it's widely rumoured they've already made big investment in games beyond what's been disclosed publically. They're not just dabbling, it sounds like they want to be in this business and Spencer has said as much himself that this is where he sees the competition coming from in the future.

Nintendo are a listed company which means they don't need to be "up for sale". They're worth ~50Bio which needs to be put into perspective of a world where Apple is worth $2Trillion. If Amazon, Google or Apple decided they want to do this, I'm sure it would happen. The only open question now is whether they want to go big or go home. What's clear is that they can't proceed with current trajectory now that MS. I'm just using Nintendo as an example but I wouldn't rule it out if these companies have decided that they don't want MS to rule gaming - it's too big a market and it's too closely aligned with core infrastructure Amazon and Google already have, they're just missing the content. and the quickest way to solve that problem is to purchase it.

4 hours ago, alex3d said:

The whole GP vs 70 USD PS5 games is sort of a game changer, isn't it? It has only occurred to me now. I'm a Sony guy, but it is a game changer. 

I hope if nothing else GP helps regulate the cost of games. I did seriously consider getting an XBOX this time but there’s nothing really on GP current or future that made me want to commit. This announcement doesn’t really affect me either in terms of the games I want to play.

Sony have also done a good job with PS+ tying me into their ecosystem, I have 100s of games available to play across PS3 and PS4 and a Vita which is basically a PS+ machine. The PS+ Collection looks good especially if PS5 games eventually trickle on to that and PS Now has potential.

1 hour ago, Anne Summers said:

Microsoft have won the next gen already haven't they? Who is going to pay £70+ for Elder Scrolls 6 when it's included in your tenner-a-month Gamepass (that you don't even need to own a console to use)?

They haven’t though have they. I’m not interested in Elder Scrolls (or most of the catalogue they’ve just bought) and realistically £70 will be more like £55 (currently £59 with ShopTo PSN cards), still a lot but worth it for games like TLOU, HZD, Spider-Man etc. It will be interesting to see how games perform on PS5 when they’re on GP vs not e.g. if Dirt 5 goes straight on GP (maybe not a good example as a release window game). Musicians complain about being on Spotify but feel they have to, will GP get to the same dominating position or will publishers start to back away if it affects sales on other platforms.

Sony do seem to be doing their best to try and lose this generation though!

Interesting times ahead.

I genuinely think MS don't necessarily care about generations and whatnot any more. They care enough to put Bethesda in their library but they're playing it pretty pragmatically. I know it's all PR speak and manufactures as shit but there was some lovely interaction between their Twitter account and people who were going "sorry mang, buying a PS5". That kind of interaction wouldn't have happened 5 years ago.

Anyway, they're all soulless money grabbing fuckholes that will bleed you dry at the nearest opportunity.

5 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Anyway, they're all soulless money grabbing fuckholes that will bleed you dry at the nearest opportunity.

Give it a year or two for them both to gather all the digital-only crowd and then Phase 2 begins.

At least MS digital guys get GP at a decent price for now, I can't fathom why anyone would buy a Digital PS5 with the signals Sony has sent out over the last week.

Oh yeah, you don't want any of these 2 or anyone else to get a big lead.

Otherwise you get the PS3 and then Xbox One launches.

If Sony for some reason pulled out of gaming and left MS as the only "Power console" deal in town, GamePass would be £30/mth before you know it.

8 minutes ago, Dudley said:

If Sony for some reason pulled out of gaming and left MS as the only "Power console" deal in town, GamePass would be £30/mth before you know it.

Yeah... and if Microsoft doesn't put up something of a fight, I'd expect those digital PS5 games being closer to 100 quid before the PS6 is even announced.

10 minutes ago, Dudley said:

I think brazenly cynical moves like this are less likely than people assume. People hate them and walk away. They’re impossible to sell, even in a monopoly.

What can definitely happen is that EA Play ends its “very successful introductory period as part of Xbox Game Pass, and we love all the enthusiasm you’ve shown for our software” or whatever and becomes its own service again at like $5 per month, also available bundled in Game Pass Ultimate. And Ubisoft announces that “we’re thrilled to announce a new service where our games are available from launch for one low subscription of $5 or included in Game Pass Ultimate”, and oh, the back catalogue stops being on Game Pass too. And so on, until you have Xbox Game Pass with MS firstparty titles for $10 per month, five different third party publisher subscriptions at $5 per month, and Game Pass Ultimate is $25 and includes a bunch of them.

I dunno, we’ll see what happens. This is a bigger shift in how games are made, sold and bought than even online distribution was.

10 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

P.S. And also give Obsidian the Fallout license to make New Vegas 2. K thx

Did you see their tweet?

The whole situation is fascinating (from an RPG fan point of view).  Wouldn't be surprised if current Bethesda projects are cancelled and staff re-assigned to others in the stable.

3 hours ago, Anne Summers said:

Microsoft have won the next gen already haven't they? Who is going to pay £70+ for Elder Scrolls 6 when it's included in your tenner-a-month Gamepass (that you don't even need to own a console to use)?

Of course not, why are people even suggesting this? It's baffling and completely silly.

The PS4 hasn't had an Elder Scrolls title and that's done just fine, so I highly doubt there are millions of people that will now immediately jump over to the Xbox because of a game that will come out in x years.

The PS5 is going to do gangbusters, just like the PS4, because they have a number of studios with long-established pedigree and that's not changing. What this and Game Pass does is change the battleground away from who sells the most boxes (and I don't see MS making up the, what, 50 million console gap?), to who sells the most services - and in that area MS are clearly wiping the floor with Sony.

This coming generation is going to probably be measured on different metrics now by each platform holder and I guess they will likely both 'win' by their own measure.

2 hours ago, Broker said:

Wow, what compelling evidence that if there were only one platform the value would be worse, presenting an example from the situation we’re in now with two platforms where the value is terrible. I notice you’ve also ignored the post where I was negative about the last of us, as that doesn’t really tie into the console wars narrative you’re trying to use to dismiss everything I say. You’re talking absolute shite then trying to make it sound like I’m the fanboy? Please fuck off.

Please calm down, there’s no need to start throwing insults around.

2 hours ago, Cyhwuhx said:

It'll be interesting to see how devs will be rewarded. Play time? Installed/Accessed? Lump sum? The only thing that's for sure is that this is going to be generating a pretty penny for Microsoft.

I think it's a mix based on the agreement. Paradox titles, for example (which are long, grand strategy games) get paid by the hours played I think, whereas some are paid just by number of downloads and some are probably lump sums.

I suppose if you wanted to try and be nice to developers you like, download all their stuff and leave it on in the background for a bit :P

Imagine slaving away on a great original game like The Outer Worlds only for the internet to tell you to get back in the kitchen and work on another Fallout yet again.

9 minutes ago, Benny said:

Imagine slaving away on a great original game like The Outer Worlds only for the internet to tell you to get back in the kitchen and work on another Fallout yet again.

But not that type of Fallout.  The last two are just shooters right?