Microsoft acquires Bethesda, id, Arkane MEGATON

MS are onto a blinder here with GamePass, I don't want them to run away with it but we need other challengers just like in the media streaming sector with Amazon, Disney, Netflix etc Competition is good. Not sure who else could step up to the plate with a similar offering or have the infrasturcture to compete. It has to be one of the big tech players in Amazon, Google or Apple. Sony or Nintendo can not compete with MS.

3 minutes ago, gospvg said:

MS are onto a blinder here with GamePass, I don't want them to run away with it but we need other challengers just like in the media streaming sector with Amazon, Disney, Netflix etc Competition is good. Not sure who else could step up to the plate with a similar offering or have the infrasturcture to compete. It has to be one of the big tech players in Amazon, Google or Apple. Sony or Nintendo can not compete with MS.

Some competition is good of course. But streaming video is an example where I think it’s actually problematic. The consumer is worse off now than they were 3-4 years ago in terms of finding big films on their one platform. The studios are all trying to take their content and build their own platforms. Cannot see that ending well really.

2 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

Some competition is good of course. But streaming video is an example where I think it’s actually problematic. The consumer is worse off now than they were 3-4 years ago in terms of finding big films on their one platform. The studios are all trying to take their content and build their own platforms. Cannot see that ending well really.

They are all trying it at the moment to see if they can make a go of it, give it a few more years and then some will start to close and consolodate back into the main providers.

I was going to say what @thesnwmn said. At what point is there too much competition?

As mentioned, for films & tv plenty of people bemoan that content is too widely distributed to the point of annoyance (and the total cost is not something they are prepared to pay). So when we say competition is good, I'd say too many players is definitely not a good thing for the consumer (nor the companies I would say).

I'd argue different companies offering different products - as Disney+, Netflix and Amazon Prime Video do - are not true competition. It's like the railways in England, there's no competition for the end user if they have to make a particular journey, they just have to suck up whatever provider is running that train.

That they try to entice you with different shows and catalogues is competition, but Amazon and Disney can't do much if you've decided you want to watch Better Call Saul.

7 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

I'd argue different companies offering different products - as Disney+, Netflix and Amazon Prime Video do - are not true competition. It's like the railways in England, there's no competition for the end user if they have to make a particular journey, they just have to suck up whatever provider is running that train.

That they try to entice you with different shows and catalogues is competition, but Amazon and Disney can't do much if you've decided you want to watch Better Call Saul.

The UK public transport system is a good analogy. 

4 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

This is true, and I suppose it's a case of having content more dispersed amongst more platforms isn't a good thing for the consumer generally, if only on a cost basis.

3 hours ago, alex3d said:

The whole GP vs 70 USD PS5 games is sort of a game changer, isn't it? It has only occurred to me now. I'm a Sony guy, but it is a game changer. 

I caved and bought two years of GP... :o

40 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

I'd argue different companies offering different products - as Disney+, Netflix and Amazon Prime Video do - are not true competition. It's like the railways in England, there's no competition for the end user if they have to ma

Which one offers what I guess is probably the main thing that people want from a movie distribution service - mainstream blockbusters?

Personally I think the endgame for all streaming services - movies, games and music - is that they end up packaged together by umbrella services, maybe offered by telco's , and the consumer no longer has to make the choice. The content can all be displayed through a combined interface and the content providers are paid directly for what is consumed. I am sure there would be resistance from the service providers and someone must have tried this already.But I don't think the current system will work forever. 

12 hours ago, Cyhwuhx said:

I do think there is a possibility that they'll release their games on PS5. They'll just be 79 euros. And... hey, how coincidental, all free on Game Pass. If anything, they can really hammer home the value like this. As you mention, GP is everything to them, hardware is simply a serving platter now. Everything that'll push people to GP will be allowed.

I agree. Netflix shows like House of Cards are still released on DVD and can be digitally purchased on Amazon. MS, like a lot of the entertainment industry, see subscription as the future and much less about hardware. Disney don't care if you watch their movies through the cinema, on DVD or through streaming as long as you are watching their movies although out of all of them Disney would probably prefer for you to sign up to Disney+ and make you a consistent customer for life. 

I can see MS being the same. They'd prefer you to subscribe to Game Pass, but if that is not an option cash from a PC or PS5 purchase is still cash. At some point, in the future, it is possible both MS and Disney make their streaming platforms the only way to see their content but I think we're quite far away from that at the moment. 

15 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

Microsoft have won the next gen already haven't they? Who is going to pay £70+ for Elder Scrolls 6 when it's included in your tenner-a-month Gamepass (that you don't even need to own a console to use)?

Sony still have their own brand and IPs that a lot of people will want to invest in, and I think PS5 will still outsell Xbox (certainly initially), however Microsoft will have an outrageous userbase in Gamepass as it continues to grow.

If it were Sony making this acquisition, I think everyone would be hailing this as game over already in the next gen race. But with Microsoft's new direction with Gamepass it sort of feels like unknown territory.

1 hour ago, thesnwmn said:

I’ve never really understood game consumer’s obsession with the idea that “competition” between two or three giant corporations is good, or leads to better value. Everyone rolls it out constantly like it’s true, and yet the smaller market each platform holder has seems to keep prices high as they’re all fighting for slices of the same pie. Music and movies have managed to survive with single formats for decades at a time without it ruining them, in fact their open marketplaces seem to attract a lot more small productions and more regular innovation than games do. Steam has monopolised the PC market for the best part of fifteen years, but it’s cheaper and more interesting than console gaming. I don’t understand why this line gets repeated constantly. 

What's the business model like for Game Pass? I mean, if a good chunk of Xbox owners never buys a game and only play what's offered on Game Pass, how do they make money and what kind of profit ends up on the developer/publisher side of things?

I've bought around 300 games for the PS4 (my total library is around 450 with PS Plus games included) and at least half of them I've bought on impulse. There's no way I'd buy as many games if I could access them with a tenner a month sub. 

Now I know I don't represent the average customer but wouldn't an average gamer go from purchasing 5 games per year to perhaps only one with such a service? 

3 minutes ago, Rayn said:

What's the business model like for Game Pass? I mean, if a good chunk of Xbox owners never buys a game and only play what's offered on Game Pass, how do they make money and what kind of profit ends up one the developer/publisher side of things?

I've bought around 300 games for the PS4 (my total library is around 450 with PS Plus games included) and at least half of them I've bought on impulse. There's no way I'd buy as many games if I could access them for a tenner a month sub. 

Now I know I don't represent the average customer but wouldn't an average gamer go from purchasing 5 games per year to perhaps only one with such a service? 

I don't think the business model has ever been made public, but studios have implied that it's a good deal for them.

As for how lucrative it is, I guess it's the balance between lots of people paying £11 every month, or a few people spending £50+ a few times a year.

50 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

Microsoft have won the next gen already haven't they? Who is going to pay £70+ for Elder Scrolls 6 when it's included in your tenner-a-month Gamepass (that you don't even need to own a console to use)?

Short term: Sony wins.

Long term: Microsoft wins. (All.)

A neat solution might be to restrict sales of future 1st party titles on Sony or Nintendo platforms to the digital channel.  That way every sale earns MS a slice of income and the non Xbox players who are willing to pay full whack for them and have decent internet connections still get to play them.  I don't know if that would prompt Sony to lean on Japanese or other publishers in a tit for tat response.

24 minutes ago, Rayn said:

What's the business model like for Game Pass? I mean, if a good chunk of Xbox owners never buys a game and only play what's offered on Game Pass, how do they make money and what kind of profit ends up on the developer/publisher side of things?

I've bought around 300 games for the PS4 (my total library is around 450 with PS Plus games included) and at least half of them I've bought on impulse. There's no way I'd buy as many games if I could access them with a tenner a month sub. 

No one knows the detail but it will be a mixture of things - people buying the games they have discovered when they rotate out (for the non 1st party games that is such as RDR2 - so far the 1st party ones have been there to stay), or buying dlc for them, or recommending them to friends who don't have game pass.  Easy exposure to 15 million potential players is something I imagine most smaller devs would fall off their chairs to obtain, so it won't c cost much to get them on board.  

Thats from the point of view of developers.  As for MS, it's simply regular income in huge value, the only question is how elastic the market when when the price goes up.  

12 minutes ago, Mogster said:

I don't think the business model has ever been made public, but studios have implied that it's a good deal for them.

As for how lucrative it is, I guess it's the balance between lots of people paying £11 every month, or a few people spending £50+ a few times a year.

I actually reckon that Game Pass is better for the indie game side of things as those tend to be shorter than your average AAA collect-a-thon. If you play like one indie game a month that you really enjoy then GP has basically justified itself at the very least.

I actually like it a bit less for big games. It's like when I used to pirate loads of things a couple of decades back - everything feels disposable and I just find myself playing a few hours and then never coming back. I don't know why indie stuff escapes this fate with me.

Just now, Lying Cat said:

I actually like it a bit less for big games. It's like when I used to pirate loads of things a couple of decades back - everything feels disposable and I just find myself playing a few hours and then never coming back. I don't know why indie stuff escapes this fate with me.

This is me!

Thanks to Gamepass I got to play The Outer Wilds but I never bothered with games like Gears 5 or State of Decay 2. I even decided to buy Crackdown 3 instead of gamepassing it. 

Just now, Lying Cat said:

I actually reckon that Game Pass is better for the indie game side of things as those tend to be shorter than your average AAA collect-a-thon. If you play like one indie game a month that you really enjoy then GP has basically justified itself at the very least.

There's an argument to be made for Game Pass actually being a bad thing for indies that AREN'T deemed worthy to be Game Pass material, as many people will just pass them up with the mindset of "I'll wait for it to hit Game Pass" or "I'm not paying 15 quid for a 10 hour long indie game, that's more than my Game Pass subscription!"

Time will tell of course but already on places like here you see people saying they'll wait for stuff to land on Game Pass rather than buying it at launch.

2 hours ago, thesnwmn said:

The advantage they have is controlling the playback machine.

Netflix works equally well on everything.

If ooh... Sega want to go it alone again they have to either go 100% streaming (fuck that) or build their own boxes.

26 minutes ago, Rayn said:

You're not normal.  The average gamer does not buy 5 games a year.  The generation is 7 years old and the average attach rate for Xbox One is 7 games.

So even at full price, £50 a year.

Gamepass for a year is double that, and it's all lovely no retailer cut digital money.

That's the business model.