Microsoft acquires Bethesda, id, Arkane MEGATON

5 hours ago, Wallace said:

I reckon that it'll be Steam+PS5, then releasing on Gamepass after the allotted time.

Why? It's not even on Steam for pre-order yet, and it's now a Microsoft game. Phil has already said all Bethesda games will be Game Pass day one.

So it'll be on PC game pass, without a doubt, on the day of release.

Sony have paid for it to be a console exclusive, not for it to be kept off the Microsoft store.

You might be able to also buy it on Steam for a set fee.

5 hours ago, Bacon Horsemeat said:

No-one has asked - will Microsoft actually be making money from Game Pass? Considering all its AAA, first party games are given away, having to pay third parties for games to be on GP, and now an extra 7.5bn for Bethesda games, can they really even break even with GP subs?

Yes, if enough people subscribe to Game Pass Microsoft will make vast, vast sums of money. 

16 hours ago, Harsin said:

Not really sure why people are shouting ‘Great news!’ from a customer perspective about this, it just means their games will come out on less platforms? 

Fewer

1 minute ago, Isaac said:

Games will be day and date on PC too.

really? That’s your example of it not being microsoft exclusive? It’ll also be available on a platform that runs (checks notes) a microsoft operating system?

that still seems pretty exclusive. Being their other platform and everything.

1 minute ago, SeanR said:

really? That’s your example of it not being microsoft exclusive? It’ll also be available on a platform that runs (checks notes) a microsoft operating system?

You did watch that Sony conference where things were sometimes on PC, and sometimes not on PC, and sometimes on PC until half an hour after the conference ended.

And the bit where the cost of entry to play a new digital game on day of release isn’t £70, but £10, and there’s another three games coming next month?

(of course, games by other publishers, the cost of entry is £70, but that’s the same on both consoles)

This could be the trigger for a lot of consolidation in industry. I think this is more of a defensive move from MS perspective to cut off Amazon and Google; I'd expect those two to go big or go home now because Game Pass is going to shit all over them if they rely on a small pool of home grown first parties. I reckon Nintendo would be on the table.

3 minutes ago, Hass said:

This could be the trigger for a lot of consolidation in industry. I think this is more of a defensive move from MS perspective to cut off Amazon and Google; I'd expect those two to go big or go home now because Game Pass is going to shit all over them if they rely on a small pool of home grown first parties. I reckon Nintendo would be on the table.

Agree. Who wants to buy Ubisoft or Take Two? Or have a go at monetising EA’s vast library of IP?

17 minutes ago, SeanR said:

PC isn't really a Microsoft platform, come on. We both know this. The fact that you need a £4 ebay Windows key doesn't make it so.

MS publishes all their shit on Steam too, they don't even force the use of the Windows store.

Also bringing their games to mobile with xCloud.

Compared to Sony, who bring pretty much none of their games to any platform that doesn't have a Sony logo on it.

They've only just started bringing the odd game to PC, several years late.

17 minutes ago, Hass said:

What an odd post. I don’t think Nintendo are for sale, especially not to either of the companies that would destroy the way they do business and have never managed to match them in the marketplace they invented. 

Bonus points for 2010’s hottest prediction “Google and Amazon are coming for the games industry!”, you forgot Apple though. I don’t know why people keep thinking those guys are going to make big investments in games. Amazon bought an engine fork eight years ago, have hired hundreds of people to put out one MMO and that’s it. They’ve been on the edge of the industry for years but have never really invested. Google are already well into the phase where they abandon their projects usually, and xCloud is about to brutally murder Stadia, which they’ll most likely watch before shrugging and wandering off. 

43 minutes ago, Broker said:

What an odd post. I don’t think Nintendo are for sale, especially not to either of the companies that would destroy the way they do business and have never managed to match them in the marketplace they invented. 

Bonus points for 2010’s hottest prediction “Google and Amazon are coming for the games industry!”, you forgot Apple though. I don’t know why people keep thinking those guys are going to make big investments in games. Amazon bought an engine fork eight years ago, have hired hundreds of people to put out one MMO and that’s it. They’ve been on the edge of the industry for years but have never really invested. Google are already well into the phase where they abandon their projects usually, and xCloud is about to brutally murder Stadia, which they’ll most likely watch before shrugging and wandering off. 

Do you remember that strange mass delusion at the start of the ps4/xbone gen where the whole industry seemed to think no one would want a console anymore? It's why we ended up with such relatively weedy systems. Of course there was massive pent-up demand. 

As for the idea of someone buying Nintendo, that would be financially on a scale comparable to Disney's purchase of 20th Century Fox. Not happening just to prop up the Apple Arcade! 

Yeah, it's an oldie but it's true. There will come a day when having more than one connected machine in the home will seem pretty quache. One connected device beaming its connected info and content from room to room. It may be a ways away but it definitely started on this path back in the days of PS2 and will one day be reality. It obviously didn't occur with the PS2, 3, 4 and probably won't be 5 and is looking unlikely to be provided by Sony now, but it's definitely coming down the line.

MS feared/knew this from the start of these machines and know it's never been off the cards as each year goes by, it's moving closer to the singularity, they want to be positioned to be that provider or at least a major part when it eventually happens. They won't let control of the home be another Zune or Kin. It's much too big a deal to their future for that. Yes they are massive in the server and services space but they still don't want to renege what's big in the home i.e Windows machines that use those services directly. The de facto streaming device will use MS cloud/services massively. It may or may not be a machine manufactured by them but their content will be integral. The hardware will be less important and be a means to deliver the actual product, the services.

This future will probably still have your Google and Apple and android devices and services but there will be just one connected entertainment and information supply machine in the home, could even be a TV connected to Azure beaming services to slave screens/devices around the house. Could be a light bulb with a powerful SOC, fuck knows. Google and Apple are down for this but so is MS, in a massive way. Maybe it'll be a three way split, maybe in the far off future only one will prevail. Who knows? But MS certainly want to be there to the very end.

Games are huge now, and they are only going to get bigger, the days of possible crashes are long over. Now more than ever home entertainment and services are important. Covid etc. Big Bill is right into all the reasons why more people will connect through the home and want to be entertained and informed going forward. Yeah, he's not there anymore but his shadow still looms large.

Basically the living room is becoming more important as we go on (when hasn't it been, but 2020+ = massive upward trajectory ) and games are a big part of entertainment, entertainment and content helps guide people's decisions, MS want all the content to keep their services in the running and are making big moves to be at the forefront in people's consciousness. 

Xbox division has always been a part of this thinking, through thick and thin. The long game.

IMG_20200922_091332.thumb.jpg.a08a10304ca9f74e2e11eb62317baa4b.jpg

This just passed me by on Twitter. Obviously he's dancing around mentioning PS5, but the implication appears to be that Bathesda games will continue to appear on other consoles.

Who knows, the ball is very much in MS's court. If this acquisition was a defensive move against Amazon or Google making a big move or is purely about boosting the value proposition of Gamepass, then putting Bathesda games on PS5 poses little to no threat to MS and would indeed help them to recoup some revenue.

They could easily withhold these games from PS5 to bolster Xbox, but I dunno, I think an exclusivity window and a Gamepass appearance gets the job done for them.

• gospvg changed the title to Microsoft acquires Bethesda, id, Arkane MEGATON

No chance, can't see MS putting in that much money to have Bethesda games coming to PS5 it will be Xbox & PC. Also I expect them to release a TV App/Streaming Stick so you can play them on your TV via X Cloud.

8 minutes ago, Robo_1 said:

This just passed me by on Twitter. Obviously he's dancing around mentioning PS5, but the implication appears to be that Bathesda games will continue to appear on other consoles.

Who knows, the ball is very much in MS's court. If this acquisition was a defensive move against Amazon or Google making a big move or is purely about boosting the value proposition of Gamepass, then putting Bathesda games on PS5 poses little to no threat to MS and would indeed help them to recoup some revenue.

They could easily withhold these games from PS5 to bolster Xbox, but I dunno, I think an exclusivity window and a Gamepass appearance gets the job done for them.

This was mentioned earlier - that “every screen, every controller” thing is Microsoft’s marketing pitch for the cross-generational PC and console Xbox platform, Xcloud and Game Pass.

1 hour ago, alex3d said:

The whole GP vs 70 USD PS5 games is sort of a game changer, isn't it? It has only occurred to me now. I'm a Sony guy, but it is a game changer. 

It is.

People like to own games, the problem is Sony have been as guilty as anyone in making sure that this generation especially was the death of doing that, with the push to digital and giant patches meaning that physical games aren't and will be basically worthless when they turn the servers off.

So if you're not going to own your games, might as well embrace GP like services, of which of course Sony have one and could consider making it better.

12 minutes ago, Robo_1 said:

Todd Howard is employed by the acquired party, he knows nothing.  Anyone who has ever worked for a company that was bought knows that the buyer will lie like a bastard.

11 minutes ago, Unofficial Who said:

There's as much chance now of seeing Skyrim or Fallout on PS5 as there is of Animal Crossing.

Nah - PS4 backwards compatibility.

Series enhanced Skyrim coming to Game Pass with the sliders turned up.

17 minutes ago, Unofficial Who said:

Even if MS were to release the next Skyrim on the PS5, why wouldn't they do something like this.

PS5 Edition (Better on XBox)

220px-Atariadventure.png

There's as much chance now of seeing Skyrim or Fallout on PS5 as there is of Animal Crossing.

Animal Crossing to PS5 confirmed!

2 hours ago, alex3d said:

The whole GP vs 70 USD PS5 games is sort of a game changer, isn't it? It has only occurred to me now. I'm a Sony guy, but it is a game changer. 

15 million Game Pass subscribers atm. Potentially recurring fees.

TLOU2 sold >4 million out of the entire sea of PS4 owners. One time fee.

You bet your ass GP is a game changer. Sure, a lot of people are doing the cheap cheap dance for GP at the moment, but if GP keeps adding content, there's no way they will cancel their subs in the end.