WandaVision - 15 January 2021

JohnC

2 hours ago, JPL said:

Interesting. Although...

Hide contents

I wasn’t really aware she was powerful enough to create her own realities to that scale. It definitely seems to fit though and it’s an interesting enough angle to keep me watching.

The only logos I noticed were the watch by Hydra and the toaster by Stark Industries.

I also wonder what the little injections of colour mean and, if your theory is correct, whether she even knows what she’s done.

Spoiler

The SWORD logo was on the helicopter and the back of BeeMans suit it seemed

4 hours ago, Hexx said:

Hide contents

The SWORD logo was on the helicopter and the back of BeeMans suit it seemed

Spoiler

And on the modern computer terminals when the camera came out of the TV (end of ep 1 IIRC)

10 hours ago, JPL said:

I’d be interested to hear where you think it’s going. I really haven’t a clue beyond thinking they’re being held in some kind of alternate reality. By who and why though, I’ve really no idea.

I thought the rewind and Wanda's reaction before that was a big clue? Unless you're not sure of her powers of course. I think it's based on the comic House of M but I've been intentionally avoiding reading up on that. 

That's the problem in these first two episodes for me. It's not really doing anything interesting with the concept, there's no deconstruction of TV from that period or any decent social critique of the period these shows existed and the actual mystery element is some real thin gruel. Characters get stuck in a fantasy is kind of a tired trope in genre shows already, and I've seen the specific sitcom example a few times (Legends of a Tomorrow did an episode where their characters were trapped in a sitcom only last season).

Of course it's still early days and there's room for improvement.

I think it needs to be a limited series as well. It feels like the kind of one hit done idea really, if the speculation is correct. I don’t see how they could keep it going once the reality of the situation has been shown.

I enjoyed it, may be the 50's comedy was a little overplayed (although the magic scene was funny) but it felt perfectly obtuse and a little menacing which I loved.

The scene at the dinner table was straight out of the comics specifically  

Spoiler

When Mrs Hart asks about the lack of children which prompts Wanda to look into the camera in a very disturbed way. There is a similar scene in Avengers Dissassembled where Wanda is suddenly aware that she has lost her twins (which were never truly real in the first place) which leads to her losing her mind.

21 hours ago, Hexx said:

Rather enjoyed the first few episodes - but also glad their only 20-25 min. Each premise could have worn out its welcome.

Reveal hidden contents

So we’ve seen references to Struker

SWORD was on the helicopter and the BeeMan

Did the red pulse on the toaster advert mean anything?

I can’t work out why Bee’s blood was red though?

Spoiler

There was also Visions bright red face, the first thing that went full colour at the end of the last episode.

Other than the fact she is known as the Scarlet Witch I'm  not sure what the colour red was fully signifying but it obviously had some meaning.

I know these two are in an avengers movie but I haven’t seen it and know nothing about them but I really enjoyed these two episodes. I thought the sitcom style was perfect and Kathryn Hahn is brilliant in everything so I’m fully in. Hopefully it won’t rely too much on me knowing what bee man or the helicopter or whatever is to know what’s going on. 

2 minutes ago, Jg15 said:

I enjoyed it, may be the 50's comedy was a little overplayed (although the magic scene was funny) but it felt perfectly obtuse and a little menacing which I loved.

The scene at the dinner table was straight out of the comics specifically  

Hide contents

When Mrs Hart asks about the lack of children which prompts Wanda to look into the camera in a very disturbed way. There is a similar scene in Avengers Dissassembled where Wanda is suddenly aware that she has lost her twins (which were never truly real in the first place) which leads to her losing her mind.

Hide contents

There was also Visions bright red face, the first thing that went full colour at the end of the last episode.

Other than the fact she is known as the Scarlet Witch I'm  not sure what the colour red was fully signifying but it obviously had some meaning.

Speculation 

Spoiler

I think the red is some signifier of who from  or how the real world is trying to reach her.

29 minutes ago, Nick R said:

Andrew Ellard (who does those tweetnotes I'm always linking to) has written about the first two episodes. I've not read it due to the spoiler warning at the top!

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2021/jan/15/wandavision-episode-one-and-two-mcu-disney-plus-sitcom-parody

Someone in the comments section of that article mentions that:

"Paul Bettany has said the 9 episodes need to be looked at in chunks of 3. So 1st 3 episodes are the 1st act, middle 3 are the 2 act and the final 3 are the final act"

So we'll probably say aaahhh at the end of next episode.

Having read Vision and various Wanda comics I’m pretty sure I know what’s going on. However, my wife has no idea and is completely bamboozled by the whole thing.

Personally I’d be fine if this didn’t’ progress past the sit-com format as I’m loving the nostalgia. I’m sure it’ll go full Avengers before too long though.

1 hour ago, Laine said:

I know these two are in an avengers movie but I haven’t seen it and know nothing about them but I really enjoyed these two episodes. I thought the sitcom style was perfect and Kathryn Hahn is brilliant in everything so I’m fully in. Hopefully it won’t rely too much on me knowing what bee man or the helicopter or whatever is to know what’s going on. 

If you haven't seen Age of Ultron I am assuming you have missed other MCU movies too. In that case I think you will struggle with understanding what's going on in this!

14 hours ago, Harsin said:

Speculation.

Reveal hidden contents

In her grief Wanda has taken over a town and inside this bubble is currently forcing the inhabitants to act as players in her fantasies. On the outside an agency (appears to be SWORD, Nick Fury’s new outfit from the end of Far From Home, based on the logos that appeared in these two episodes) is trying to break in/reach her.

Yeah seems to be what's going on from the

Spoiler

"Stop it! Stop it! Stop it!" from the boss' wife in the first episode, and "I don't mean you any harm"/"I don't believe you" in the second

I quite like it, although I hope they lean into horror a bit more as her situation unravels.

So after the first two episodes I have a theory around the bad guy but not just for this show. 

Spoiler

So the first thing I found interesting was the Conversation between Agnes and Wanda. 

"The devil's in the details" 

"It always is"

Then the gum that caused Vision to go all Rik Mayall was a Big Red(lovely gum that btw)

Then considering we have multiverse madness coming up in the movies with Dr Strange and Spiderman. Whose a villian that has a link to all those characters? 

40 minutes ago, cassidy said:

So after the first two episodes I have a theory around the bad guy but not just for this show. 

Hide contents

So the first thing I found interesting was the Conversation between Agnes and Wanda. 

"The devil's in the details" 

"It always is"

Then the gum that caused Vision to go all Rik Mayall was a Big Red(lovely gum that btw)

Then considering we have multiverse madness coming up in the movies with Dr Strange and Spiderman. Whose a villian that has a link to all those characters? 

Is it 

Spoiler

Baron Mordo?

2 minutes ago, Thor said:

@cassidy Spit it out for those of us who don't read the comics - in spoiler tags, obviously. :)

Spoiler

Mephisto who has fucked shit up for Spidey and Wanda and Dr Strange in the past. Is the Marvel Universe version of the devil and He's red. 

3 minutes ago, drmick said:

If you haven't seen Age of Ultron I am assuming you have missed other MCU movies too. In that case I think you will struggle with understanding what's going on in this!

To be honest even if you have seen the movies but have no knowledge of the comics its still easy to be very easily confused. Both Vision and Wanda are very much side characters to the main cast of Iron Man, Thor etc.

TBH I struggle to remember any key plot points around them from the films other than Vision being created by Ultron (as per the comics) and them having a relationship (again mirroring the comics). Only key difference from the comics is Wanda not being Magneto's daughter.  Either way will have to see how this plays out, intrigued enough so far.