Idles - New album 25/09

Come on guys, it's shameful that the best band of (at least) the last decade don't have their own thread. 

I'm 47, I know fuck all about the current music scene and my obsession with music has diminished exponentially since about the year 2000....then about 2 years ago I heard Colossus by Idles and it just about broke my brain. An incredible blast of the most urgent and emotionally-charged punk rock I'd heard since I first heard The Pixies. Finally a new band that I felt could change my life. Everything since then continues to be the best new thing I've ever heard. Great, Grounds, Mr Motivator, Model Village.... they keep on blowing my mind.

Anyway, new album out next Friday, it's going to be amazing. Great review here from Jon Robb who is much more adept at explaining what makes them so great and he knows a thing or two about rock music.

https://louderthanwar.com/idles-ultra-mono-album-review/

I saw Idles at the Downs Festival last summer, and they preceded every song by saying ‘this is an anti-fascist song’ which I liked.

They seemed pretty good, but obviously weren’t a patch on Grace Jones or Lauryn Hill.

To be honest. I think a lot of that is fair but at the same time I’m not bothered. 

it’s like when somebody tried to convince me that the National were pretentious sad dad rock and I was like, yeah, that’s why I like them. 

or alternatively - it’s hard to give a shit what anyone else thinks about something I like. Especially sneery music snobs like the quietus. 

Can't comment on their review of Ultra Mono (because lets face it, they haven't really reviewed the album there have they?), but haven't they missed the point of the message of the last two albums? Yes, they're shouty, yes the lyrics aren't genius pieces of poetry and everythings on the nose, but thats the point isn't it? It's to get "yer mate Dave" shouting along with them and then go "oh, what, hang on a minute? What did they say "Hang on a minutes, he's singing about one of those immigrants and that he's saying he belongs as part of the community, so fuck you" because, quite frankly, being all clever with your political message doesn't get you any fucking where, The Clash were telling us that back in the 70s.

Have they got a medal? Even Mary Berry's got a medal

On 21/09/2020 at 09:52, ZOK said:

I saw Idles at the Downs Festival last summer, and they preceded every song by saying ‘this is an anti-fascist song’ which I liked.

They seemed pretty good, but obviously weren’t a patch on Grace Jones or Lauryn Hill.

Yeah but then who is? Only His Purpleness really :(

I'm gonna need a few more listens to get a better impression, especially as everyone keeps making me pause it to take my headphones off, but it feels like Talbot has let critics like the above or Sleaford Mods get to him a little too much, he also spends alot of time focusing on being labelled a cliche.

I was worried by A Hymn when I heard it when it was released as a single but the album builds up to it and earns it, then unleashes Danke on you.

T

24 minutes ago, Colonel Panic said:

I think the criticism is a bit off the mark. Why can’t Talbot just write about what he wants? Agreed that it’s coloured the album’s lyrics a bit though. 

It sounds fucking brilliant though. 

I'm not saying he can't write about what he wants, just for me, he's put more energy into that than other messages on the album

I get you. I wasn’t having a go at you, just some of the criticism in the press and from other bands. 

Im guilty of it sometimes too. Fontaines DC, for example love the working class schtick, but they went to €3000 a year music college and I can’t watch them being interviewed now without sneering like a prick. 

Had a second listen this evening, leaning towards Carcinogenic and Reigns being my favourites. But it still feels weaker than Brutlism and Joy, it's still really good though, and maybe I was expecting too much after those two albums, Brutalism especially helped me through a really dark period.

7 hours ago, Stanley said:

Is €3000 a year considered expensive? I would have thought that’s the going rate now for college fees. 

3rd level fees in Ireland are generally paid by the government. Student loans are not a thing. Those fees are on top off the government paying for tuition,

Lias Saoudi wrote a great piece about Idles in which he discusses class appropriation and racism, amongst other things. Well worth a read. 
https://www.thesocial.com/life-beyond-the-neutral-zone-8-lias-saoudi/

This is a band that purports to be about unity and zero tolerance of prejudice of any kind, yet feels it necessary to pour scorn on anyone that comes from a small town that hasn’t quite managed to adopt the same middle class metropolitan point of view they call their own. 

The new album is a bit preachy, something I never felt listening to ‘Brutalism’.

The drums on this album are fucking incredible. Loving the guitar noise and production throughout as well. Brutalism is my favourite album of the last 20 years so it doesn't touch that, might like it more than JAAOR though. That bit at the end of Anxiety that just descends into it chaos before recovering. Incredible. 

The lyrics are pretty shit though. I'm all for the intent of the lyrics and there's some brilliant ones. I also have absolutely no patience for the 'left eating itself' bullshit criticism of them linked to above. Writing concise straight to the point lyrics is fucking hard and takes really care and time, a lot of these feel rushed. It's a bit like looking at a game like Super Hexagon and thinking it took Terry Cavanagh 10 minutes to knock up. 

I do think people are, maybe purposely, taking Model Village too literal. I interpreted it as an attack on the Little Englander mentality, not attacking people from actual villagers. Maybe GREAT did a better job of that than Model Village has though

That stuff doesn’t bother me although it is a bit too much on the nose by now. Some of the lyrics are plain awful though, like on Anxiety- kind of ruins an otherwise great song. 

I think it’s alright, it’s Idles end-game, doubling down on what’s made them successful, but kind of lacks the intelligence present in their earlier works - I was in love from the moment when I heard Heel/Heal but now it is all a bit straight and normal. Still think Colossus is the best thing they’ve ever done, on here I think my favourite song is A Hymn, hopefully they’ll explore that kind of intense slow burn more in the future. 

So I’ve listened to this properly now with a clear head and to be honest, it’s fucking brilliant, sure there are a few misfires lyrically here and there but overall the message is clear and pointed. 

As for that review dissing the lyrics for ‘War’  honest to God you’d have to be a dickhead to be critical of what is one of the most powerful and awesome openings of an album since The Queen Is Dead. 

And who cares if they’re middle class or working middle class or whatever the fuck, fucking idiots. 

Speaking as an angry, disenfranchised middle aged, middle class man I think the gate keeping over who is allowed to be angry and disenfranchised with our cesspit of a world is fucking ridiculous.