Jump to content

Eurogamer: the best games of this gen as voted by critics and devs


Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, Popo said:

Strange, the list is supposed to cover the current generation, which it goes on to define as November 2013 to now. I’m not sure why the Switch is excluded, on that basis. Surely we consider the Wii U and Switch to be part of the same generation given the former was released and retired in such a short space of time.


Maybe the Switch is included but just doesn’t have any games good enough to be on the list that aren’t Wii U ports.

 

8 hours ago, Thor said:

Yes, the Switch is this gen. Destiny and MGSV got honourable mentions and they were released on both last and current gen consoles. I daresay Yakuza 0's treatment of women in the game is the reason for its exclusion, and nothing to do with any particular console gen.

 

How come Witcher 3 always gets a pass for it’s treatment of women? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Thor said:

Before I answer, state your concerns.

 

Sex with women used as a lazy prize for quests that was cringeworthy in God of War 20 years ago and has no place in a game that is constantly held up as an example of excellent writing. The depiction of women's bodies, especially in those scenes but also with primary characters being clearly designed to excite horny nerds. The clearly completely impractical clothing design, again obviously made with the male gaze in mind. The lazy plot device that starts the game being to rescue a woman like it's a Mario game or something, before that woman turns up and informs you that actually your quest is rescuing a younger woman. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Broker said:

Sex with women used as a lazy prize for quests that was cringeworthy in God of War 20 years ago and has no place in a game that is constantly held up as an example of excellent writing. The depiction of women's bodies, especially in those scenes but also with primary characters being clearly designed to excite horny nerds. The clearly completely impractical clothing design, again obviously made with the male gaze in mind. The lazy plot device that starts the game being to rescue a woman like it's a Mario game or something, before that woman turns up and informs you that actually your quest is rescuing a younger woman. 

The sex with the women in the Witcher 3 game is mostly not a "reward" for a quest, and the one time in the main plot it genuinely veers into that, with Keira Metz, she's actually using Geralt to get what she wants. Okay, that could also be classed as depicting a sexist stereotype, however it could also be classed as someone knowing exactly what they want, and doing exactly what they know they need to do to get it. Also the sex scenes themselves, while not the most tastefully done (are there any tasteful sex scenes in the history of videogames? - could be a thread there), are nowhere near the button-mashing horror shows from the old God of War games, your comparison there is somewhat absurd. 

 

I'll give you the impractical clothing, and indeed the male gaze (especially the DLC outfits which are absolutely tragic) but Nier Automata is higher up the list and the main character's outfit in that is completely fucking ridiculous. As for the start of the game, I'm going to assume you've forgotten how it starts because you are categorically incorrect. Geralt is not out to save Yennefer, Geralt is just looking for her after getting a letter from Yennefer telling him to meet her. Dropping Mario in there is just strawmanning. The rescuing of Ciri, yeah I'll give you that as well, but the game also depicts Ciri's side of the story where she is shown as anything but the damsel in distress, in fact a good chunk of the main plot of the game and indeed the ending revolve around how you the player treats Ciri. 

 

If The Witcher 3 should be called out for anything, it's its lack of diversity. Until the Hearts of Stone DLC everyone was white. In Hearts of Stone they introduced a new ethnicity, but even that was a "mystical people from the east" stereotype. CDPR ticked a box, nothing more, when they could have done so much more. CDPR at least appears to be addressing this in Cyberpunk, and maybe they will in Witcher 4 as well. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Gambit said:

 

Arkham Knight is an.....interesting choice. And that's from someone who likes that game more than most.

 

Fairly early on in the generation is seemed to nail storytelling in an open-world setting better than anything which came before and, Riddler trophies aside, found a way to integrate side missions into game in an organic and engaging way. It was never really surpassed in those regards. At the end of this generation open world games still just have icons splurged equidistantly over the map and the player just goes round picking them up. So design-wise it still stands tall amongst open world games.

 

Plus, I thought the way you could segue smoothly between driving and on-foot combat pretty incredible. The way the Batmobile careened around the streets knocking out chunks of scenery is still impressive to this day.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Benny said:

I've been playing Arkham Knight recently, and I have to say it feels very dated now, despite not even being that old.

You playing on Xbox by any chance?

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Benny said:

 

PC.

Strange, I very recently, like mid last week, finished a PC playthrough, and it doesn't feel dated to me at all. The combat still feels tight, and visually it puts a lot of very recent games to complete shame ... but I am running it at 4k60 with all the bells and whistles. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, englishbob said:

 

:lol:


It's a pretty acclaimed game, isn't it? It's certainly quite different from your average AAA game and say what you want about Yoko Taro, but he really puts his stamp on the games he makes.

The write-ups describe it quite well.
 

Rami Ismail: "Nier:Automata is a staggeringly difficult game to describe - but stubborn would probably be the best word to use. It is sincere and stubborn, as you'd expect from a creator like Yoko Taro, but it is tempered by the experience in smooth action gameplay at Platinum Games. The result is indescribable - a game about games that is both a love song and a scathing rebuke."
 

Chris Plante: "A video game about the history of philosophy, the question of human exceptionalism, and the meaning of life... You play as sexualized androids with big swords. You kill robots who spend their days raising children, having sex, reciting literature, building and destroying societies, and obsessively seeking any meaning whatsoever. You claw for the meanings of being and not being. And all of this, somehow, despite the odds, works. As if all that isn't enough, the game doubles as a biting but loving critique of the video game medium, shifting between genres - sometimes multiple times in a fight sequence - to get at the evolution and pleasures of this art form. Oh, did I mention the sexy androids with swords?"

And the combat is much better than the combat in The Witcher 3.
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

Didn't we do best game of the gen at the end of last year??

 

We did games of the decade, which may as well be games of the gen if you take out the stuff that falls outside of the generation...

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll never understand this forum's often lukewarm opinion of the Uncharted games, for me they're some of the finest TPS action games I've ever played. 

Uncharted 4 is most deserving of that list, with the only reason I'd argue it not being there, is that it's not quite as good as The Lost Legacy, or maybe TLOU2 but that's it's own and quite different thing, 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Outside of the amazing cinematics, I find the first 3 Uncharted games horrible to play. Limited, frustrating and not exciting when you aren't really in real control of the 'real time' action. 

I found them absolutely wasted potential. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, nakamura said:

Outside of the amazing cinematics, I find the first 3 Uncharted games horrible to play. Limited, frustrating and not exciting when you aren't really in real control of the 'real time' action. 

I found them absolutely wasted potential. 

 

This absolutely dumbfounds me, as I couldn't disagree more. I've finished several of them on Crushing difficulty which meant you really had to get your teeth into the whole thing, and found all of the TPS action to be totally outstanding, that as well as the Multiplayer which itself is totally built upon the same mechanics. It's not even remotely what I would describe as limited and frustrating. But to each his own, I again often find myself completely at odds with a lot of the opinion on this forum. I also find, I just don't really enjoy conversing or debating this stuff anymore. 

 

I appreciate the Outer Wilds being on this list, an utterly incredible experience and one that I'll treasure. I got really into it and spent a good 20 hours or so digging through the whole world piecing it all together. Incredible game. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

I'll never understand this forum's often lukewarm opinion of the Uncharted games, for me they're some of the finest TPS action games I've ever played. 

Uncharted 4 is most deserving of that list, with the only reason I'd argue it not being there, is that it's not quite as good as The Lost Legacy, or maybe TLOU2 but that's it's own and quite different thing, 

 

I've no clue about the forums take on the Uncharted games but I've never understood the praise they seemed to get. While each and every game in the series have been technical showpieces, my view on the games has always been that I just find them a bit underwhelming. 

Here's how I see them :

They look like they takes place in big worlds/levels but almost every single level are pretty much corridor based. At key points you trigger waves of bullet spongey enemies and you usually know exactly when and where that invisible wave trigger is. 

Then there's the cinematic threats like boulders coming at you, train carts almost falling off the cliff edge, planes falling from trees etc. all spiced up with mind numbing QTEs that really reduces my will to keep playing. 

The verticality in many of the levels also feels more of a chore than entertainment, climbing a bit up, then sideways, then a little bit down, the sideways again, then up. Five minutes of climbing only to find a hidden treasure instead of the progression point, having to backtrack to find a brick I haven't tried reaching yet. 

Then the there's the dialogue, it's often so cheesy that you could start wondering who writes the stuff and at times it just goes on and on for ages with seemingly no impact on the actual story nor character building. 

Finally, after completing the games I've never had the urge to go back to them again as the stories feel finished and searching for hidden treasure was never fun (in these games) in the first place. 

 

This all may sound a bit harsh as I have finished them all, but I've never had a real blast playing them, they all sit somewhere around the 6/10 - 7/10 mark for me as well above average games, but not classic material. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Uncharted 2 was in my top 10 of last gen but I do feel like that whole genre was played out in the PS3/360 era. I liked UC3 a lot, but by the time of UC4 I felt as though I'd seen it all before and instead of shaking things up it just felt padded out with the walkie bits from The Last of Us added in, which didn't work nearly as well when inserted into an UC game. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Rayn said:

 

I've no clue about the forums take on the Uncharted games but I've never understood the praise they seemed to get. While each and every game in the series have been technical showpieces, my view on the games has always been that I just find them a bit underwhelming. 

Here's how I see them :

They look like they takes place in big worlds/levels but almost every single level are pretty much corridor based. At key points you trigger waves of bullet spongey enemies and you usually know exactly when and where that invisible wave trigger is. 

Then there's the cinematic threats like boulders coming at you, train carts almost falling off the cliff edge, planes falling from trees etc. all spiced up with mind numbing QTEs that really reduces my will to keep playing. 

The verticality in many of the levels also feels more of a chore than entertainment, climbing a bit up, then sideways, then a little bit down, the sideways again, then up. Five minutes of climbing only to find a hidden treasure instead of the progression point, having to backtrack to find a brick I haven't tried reaching yet. 

Then the there's the dialogue, it's often so cheesy that you could start wondering who writes the stuff and at times it just goes on and on for ages with seemingly no impact on the actual story nor character building. 

Finally, after completing the games I've never had the urge to go back to them again as the stories feel finished and searching for hidden treasure was never fun (in these games) in the first place. 

 

This all may sound a bit harsh as I have finished them all, but I've never had a real blast playing them, they all sit somewhere around the 6/10 - 7/10 mark for me as well above average games, but not classic material. 

 

You could write reductively in this way about almost anything! Gran Turismo is just a series of turns till the race just ends, meh. etc. 

But if their not your bag, then that's fine... like I said, I don't get it, but that's also fine too. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Uncharted 1 is a brief but fun game. Uncharted 2 improved every single aspect of the first and is one of the best games ever. Uncharted 3 is more of the same but the levels aren't quite as good but it has its moments. Uncharted 4 is massively overlong cut-scenes with some playable bits and I don't remember being wowed by any of it. The bit where you go back to your old house was pretty good I guess, and the relationship with the brother was ok. That's it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought Uncharted 4 was a far more consistently enjoyable experience than 2. My memory of 2 is of a LOT of samey combat sections one after another, despite it being excellent.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Endless bullet sponge enemies and redundant platforming do not make for an exciting adventure. Almost everything that happens feels secondary to the story. 

 

I played Tomb Raider after, the original and there was more excitement in completing a hard jump than anything in uncharted. 

 

Remove the amazing story and no one would like it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Rayn said:

 

I've no clue about the forums take on the Uncharted games but I've never understood the praise they seemed to get. While each and every game in the series have been technical showpieces, my view on the games has always been that I just find them a bit underwhelming. 

Here's how I see them :

They look like they takes place in big worlds/levels but almost every single level are pretty much corridor based. At key points you trigger waves of bullet spongey enemies and you usually know exactly when and where that invisible wave trigger is. 

Then there's the cinematic threats like boulders coming at you, train carts almost falling off the cliff edge, planes falling from trees etc. all spiced up with mind numbing QTEs that really reduces my will to keep playing. 

The verticality in many of the levels also feels more of a chore than entertainment, climbing a bit up, then sideways, then a little bit down, the sideways again, then up. Five minutes of climbing only to find a hidden treasure instead of the progression point, having to backtrack to find a brick I haven't tried reaching yet. 

Then the there's the dialogue, it's often so cheesy that you could start wondering who writes the stuff and at times it just goes on and on for ages with seemingly no impact on the actual story nor character building. 

Finally, after completing the games I've never had the urge to go back to them again as the stories feel finished and searching for hidden treasure was never fun (in these games) in the first place. 

 

This all may sound a bit harsh as I have finished them all, but I've never had a real blast playing them, they all sit somewhere around the 6/10 - 7/10 mark for me as well above average games, but not classic material. 

 

This is Uncharted 1, not recent Uncharteds. They're absolutely more open and dynamic than pretty much any TPS out there, with a few exceptions. Vanquish for example, a superb game in its own right, is way more linear.

 

Spawns? Modern Uncharteds tend to use The Last of Us style areas in which enemies patrol, with AI that hunts you down and communicates. You can even bypass many encounters by using the terrain, which only adds to the dynamic nature of its encounter design. It's a far cry from the endless waves of UC1.

 

Bullet sponges? I always found this a weird criticism. Headshots kill instantly. Yes, the game has armoured enemies, but power weapons and grenades are there for a reason. The game doesn't want you to play it as a cover shooter like Gears, it wants you to flank, climb, stealth, slide, roll, rope swing, jump on enemies from above, pull enemies down from below, dive into water while bullets whizz past your head, dropkick them in the face after staggering them with gunshots. It gives you these open areas and nimble characters, so that you can use every tool in the shed. Encounters are combat sandboxes full of opportunities. They're playable action movies in which you're almost always in control.

 

The notion that people only like them for their graphics, characters and story is ridiculous. If that was the case ND wouldn't have to bother with things like Crushing difficulty or multiplayer, nor would it be so acclaimed. Where Gears is way past its prime and nobody even remembers the diet coke Uncharted that is modern Tomb Raider, UC4 sits at a 93 MC, got an Edge 9, won more game of the year awards than any other game in 2016, including the BAFTA, sold 17 million copies, and was picked by devs and critics as one of the best games of this gen for the Eurogamer article. Whether you like it or nor, not a single TPS can claim such results. ND being a company that only makes technically stunning and well-written games without accomplished mechanics to speak of is such a tired take.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/09/2020 at 08:58, Thor said:

Yes, the Switch is this gen.


This is probably the most correct thing anyone has said on rllmuk. 
 

Switch is literally this gen.

 

You get a Nintendo switch and then decide on your second gaming system after, whether Xbox, pc or ps. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

I'll never understand this forum's often lukewarm opinion of the Uncharted games, for me they're some of the finest TPS action games I've ever played. 

Uncharted 4 is most deserving of that list, with the only reason I'd argue it not being there, is that it's not quite as good as The Lost Legacy, or maybe TLOU2 but that's it's own and quite different thing, 

 

They have their fair share of fans as well. I do think TLL and TLoU 2 are better, but UC4 is a good game and it shows how ND has been firing on all cylinders for two gens in a row now. One thing TLoU2 does better than UC4 is that it only gets better on higher difficulties and while TLL is still ace on Crushing, UC4 becomes a little too hard to play as an action movie. It does have some balance and pacing issues.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

It does have some balance and pacing issues.


If by some balance and pacing issues you mean the entire game I’m entirely in agreement. 
 

I would almost like to play through it again (if I didn’t hate it so much) just to tally how many collapsing platforms and hold x and and jumpy climby sections you have to do which have no negative outcome at all. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Vemsie said:

 

This is Uncharted 1, not recent Uncharteds. They're absolutely more open and dynamic than pretty much any TPS out there, with a few exceptions. Vanquish for example, a superb game in its own right, is way more linear.

 

Spawns? Modern Uncharteds tend to use The Last of Us style areas in which enemies patrol, with AI that hunts you down and communicates. You can even bypass many encounters by using the terrain, which only adds to the dynamic nature of its encounter design. It's a far cry from the endless waves of UC1.

 

Bullet sponges? I always found this a weird criticism. Headshots kill instantly. Yes, the game has armoured enemies, but power weapons and grenades are there for a reason. The game doesn't want you to play it as a cover shooter like Gears, it wants you to flank, climb, stealth, slide, roll, rope swing, jump on enemies from above, pull enemies down from below, dive into water while bullets whizz past your head, dropkick them in the face after staggering them with gunshots. It gives you these open areas and nimble characters, so that you can use every tool in the shed. Encounters are combat sandboxes full of opportunities. They're playable action movies in which you're almost always in control.

 

The notion that people only like them for their graphics, characters and story is ridiculous. If that was the case ND wouldn't have to bother with things like Crushing difficulty or multiplayer, nor would it be so acclaimed. Where Gears is way past its prime and nobody even remembers the diet coke Uncharted that is modern Tomb Raider, UC4 sits at a 93 MC, got an Edge 9, won more game of the year awards than any other game in 2016, including the BAFTA, sold 17 million copies, and was picked by devs and critics as one of the best games of this gen for the Eurogamer article. Whether you like it or nor, not a single TPS can claim such results. ND being a company that only makes technically stunning and well-written games without accomplished mechanics to speak of is such a tired take.


Excellent post Vemsie! You totally hit the nail on the head here! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.