IGNORED

Xbox Series X | S

djbhammer

That's nice, I like it. My wife bought my a designlab controller for my One X a few years back and between that and my rare-as-kraken-shit Sea of Thieves controller, I don't know if I'll actually use my series X controller....

Speaking of, my Series X is arriving today! The first thing I'm gonna do, you ask?

Download Red Dead Redemption 2 and continue the new playthrough I started at the weekend.

In 4k, 30fps.

Because Rockstar don't 'do' next gen upgrades which you don't have to rebuy the game for. Or at all, in Red Dead's case, because it is the unloved stepchild and doesn't make as much cash as GTA Online.

3 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

I let my son loose on the Design Labs and he came up with this absolute eyesore. Rubberised grips though - comfort over style every time!

8BB599DF-DCD8-429E-8988-E8E00688EE12.jpeg

76C8804C-448C-4B02-B8D9-24A3582ACB73.jpeg

That's nearly identical to the one my son just designed for his birthday, it hasn't arrived yet but from memory its really similar!

Just now, metallicfrodo said:

They look like the ones on the back on the elite pads, so unfortunately they will start bubbling and coming away from the pad eventually.

Most of my Xbox controllers seem to develop problems after a couple of years, so I'll take my chances I guess.

The grips on my Elite controller are fine but the left bumper is knackered.

This green one is to replace my original X/S controller which was becoming slightly unresponsive on occasions with the stick pressed forward.

I've had another controller with an A button that wouldn't stop sticking, and another one where the rumble broke so it felt like someone shaking a ball-bearing around in a tin can.

Oddly enough I have an original Xbox One controller from 2013 which is still going strong, it's not as nice as the newer ones but seems to be made of sturdier stuff.

The build quality on these things is absolutely shit, I really hope they sort this out sooner rather than later.

6 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

Oddly enough I have an original Xbox One controller from 2013 which is still going strong, it's not as nice as the newer ones but seems to be made of sturdier stuff.

Both my original Xbox one controllers have broken right bumpers (which seems to be a common failure point). It all seems a bit hit and miss with regards to quality control. I've had no problem with the actual controls on either of my Elite controllers, but on both the grips have bubbled up.

My 360 controllers though lasted the whole generation without an issue, as did my original xbox duke and S controllers. 

I’m really surprised none of the console manufacturers have done an Apple and launched a super high-end pad, with a premium feel and much better build quality. If people are willing to spend hundreds of pounds on headphones, then I would have thought that a fancy controller would be something people would buy.

I guess the headphone market is slightly different as a nice pair of headphones is a status symbol that you wear when you’re out and about, whereas pads are something you keep at home. And the expensive headphone market is long-established. But at the same time, a high-end pad feels like something that streamers would use and make desirable, in the same way that gaming chairs are desirable. I would maybe buy an expensive controller if I knew it would last. 

Microsoft and Sony must have done this kind of calculation and decided it wasn’t worth it, but I’d be interested to know why. I half believe that a high-end controller market could have the same kind of dynamic as the high-end trainer market, except with nerdier teenagers. 

I picked up a Series X a few weeks ago and I was surprised by the controller. It feels like it's well put together and the design is good as ever, but the buttons... It's very clicky, particularly the d-pad, but worse it's very easy to press the buttons and not have the press register. I tend to not hammer buttons but I'm not exactly lightly tapping them either, and I can get the audible click but the game not respond at all with regularity.

13 minutes ago, K said:

I’m really surprised none of the console manufacturers have done an Apple and launched a super high-end pad, with a premium feel and much better build quality. If people are willing to spend hundreds of pounds on headphones, then I would have thought that a fancy controller would be something people would buy.

I guess the headphone market is slightly different as a nice pair of headphones is a status symbol that you wear when you’re out and about, whereas pads are something you keep at home. And the expensive headphone market is long-established. But at the same time, a high-end pad feels like something that streamers would use and make desirable, in the same way that gaming chairs are desirable. I would maybe buy an expensive controller if I knew it would last. 

Microsoft and Sony must have done this kind of calculation and decided it wasn’t worth it, but I’d be interested to know why. I half believe that a high-end controller market could have the same kind of dynamic as the high-end trainer market, except with nerdier teenagers. 

Anyone wanna tell him?

Do you mean the Elite pad? I meant a high-end controller that had high-end build quality; the Elite pad looks nice, but from what people say on here, it seems fall apart even quicker than the standard controllers. Like, maybe a controller that used optical sensors (if that wasn't prohibitively expensive).

1 hour ago, Girth Certificate said:

Anyone use the spotify app on their xbox, is it just me or is there no option to go to an artist's page from within an album or one of their songs or whatever? Instead having to do a new search.

It's very bare bones until you link your phone to the xbox via wifi

29 minutes ago, K said:

Do you mean the Elite pad? I meant a high-end controller that had high-end build quality; the Elite pad looks nice, but from what people say on here, it seems fall apart even quicker than the standard controllers. Like, maybe a controller that used optical sensors (if that wasn't prohibitively expensive).

Indeed the Elite pad is pretty poor..  uses the same analogue sticks etc as the regular pad. You are essentially just getting a cusomised case and some additional buttons on the bottom and a selection of different thumbsticks etc. 

Personally when I buy  a premium product I expect the internals to be upgraded to a premium build quality too... I can see why MS don't but IMHO I think the Elite pads are expensive for what they are. 

2 hours ago, K said:

I think one of the differences here is that controllers aren't usually a thing you wear on your head or your feet while walking around town. The opportunities for showing off your premium purchase are somewhat limited.

2 hours ago, Chindie said:

I picked up a Series X a few weeks ago and I was surprised by the controller. It feels like it's well put together and the design is good as ever, but the buttons... It's very clicky, particularly the d-pad, but worse it's very easy to press the buttons and not have the press register. I tend to not hammer buttons but I'm not exactly lightly tapping them either, and I can get the audible click but the game not respond at all with regularity.

I've had mine for six months now and can't recall a single missed input. Are you certain the pad isn't faulty?

My Forza One does it. It's literally you're not pressing it hard enough. It's not even a case of stabbing at it or hammering it, you just need to push it further than you'd think. Annoying but I really don't want to send it back because I wouldn't get a replacement.

3 hours ago, Chindie said:

Something doesnt sound right here. 

The d-pad is a clicky noisy fucker (works well though) but I don't have any of the other issues. It's the best pad I have ever used by quite some margin. Going to a PS5 pad from it feels like a major step back. 

17 hours ago, Ry said:

Something doesnt sound right here. 

The d-pad is a clicky noisy fucker (works well though) but I don't have any of the other issues. It's the best pad I have ever used by quite some margin. Going to a PS5 pad from it feels like a major step back. 

When I first got my Series X pad the buttons were a bit "sticky" but after a week or two of use they loosened off. Not sure if they were just a bit tight from the factory or something odd. Think it was mainly the A and B buttons. And yes the D-Pad is very clicky indeed... :) 

11 minutes ago, Ry said:

Indeed. Not a huge fan of the PS5 pad either. Much prefer the layout of the Xbox pad (use the XBox One pad on the PC). Tend to get really bad cramp in my left thumb after an hour or playing on the PS5 pad. Still it saves me playing too long and forces me to get a break I guess. :D (although tend to get most of the multi-plat games on the PC anyway).

3 hours ago, metallicfrodo said:

My 360 controllers though lasted the whole generation without an issue, as did my original xbox duke and S controllers. 

Same. Think the 360 controller is my favourite controller ever made so far. Well barring the D-Pad (which is better on the chrome/special editions with the rotatable D-pads)

11 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

I wonder if @Chindie is talking about the home button? That’s the one I have trouble registering the press the most and I can’t tell if it’s not pushing in enough or or laggy software as sometimes it just takes a bit of time. 

Think that started when they upgraded the UI to 4K, so hopefully it'll get fixed soon.