Xbox Series X | S

djbhammer

3 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

I thought the card acted like the internal drive and you can run X/S games from it? You can't run them from an external SSD? Or is it just a place to store and switch them around?

He meant for PC, compared to Xbox :)

8 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

I thought the card acted like the internal drive and you can run X/S games from it? You can't run them from an external SSD? Or is it just a place to store and switch them around?

It does act like an internal drive, and yes you can run x/s games from it. It's the *only* extension option that will run x/s games. Other drives connected via USB can be used to store x/s games, but not run them. Obviously you can both store and run previous gen (non-enhanced) games from anything - it's just a matter of speed preference.

1 hour ago, MattyP said:

Just bought a 1TB SSD for the PC @ £80. 

Sure the Xbox expansion card will be super fast etc. BUT. Do we honestly really care that much? I'd rather have 1TB of slightly slower speed (which is still much faster than spinny old school hard disks) for say £99 (with MS's Xbox tax added) than pay nearly double because "its a bit faster". 

Why I went back to PC for Xbox gaming in the end. Pays your money and make your choice. If you are in console land you have little choice. But it is what it is. And the Xbox machines offer a lot of performance for in relative terms little money.

Isn’t it the case it’s part of the velocity engine and not just fast storage for loading games well quick but used as video memory as well so will need to meet specific sustained throughout to just work unlike any old PC ssd that will have good headline figures but then die on its ass etc.

Of course there is huge Xbox tax in it esp as it’s new and in the early adopters window but I also have an ssd drive hooked up for non series games for well fast loading and it was cheap - it’s speed defi slows during big transfers as it’s a cheap drive too!

28 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

Does the Xbox not have Bluetooth at all?

The only way to use a mouse is to use it wired?

Apparently there is this thing called the Internet where one can ask the search engine gods for answers to questions and receive wisdom (said wisdom may not actually be true depending on the question asked, and one's personal beliefs, but when the answer comes from the Xbox Support FAQ, it's probably correct).

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/help/hardware-network/accessories/mouse-keyboard

I have both a PS5 and an XSX. The d-pad is way, way better on Xbox this time around and it isn't even close. Many of these things come down to preference, but man in this case it's night and day. Madness

Yeah. I also have a PS5 for exclusives, and when I play Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown I have to swap back to my PS4 pad because the PS5 one kinda sucks for fighters due to the Dpad. Too spongey.

4 minutes ago, Kayin Amoh said:

Yeah. I also have a PS5 for exclusives, and when I play Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown I have to swap back to my PS4 pad because the PS5 one kinda sucks for fighters due to the Dpad. Too spongey.

Yeah, it's a big step back from the PS4 d-pad. I'm very surprised that this generation the Xbox has the best d-pad! Just how? The dpad on the Pro Controller is even worse than the PS5 one, while usually that's one thing Nintendo traditionally gets right. 

On 18/07/2021 at 17:27, CarloOos said:

Setting the Xbox input as PC on your TV allows Game-mode esque response times on the non-game mode picture settings, but it does negatively affect image quality (or at least it did on my C7). Introduced loads of horrible banding which was particularly evident when watching UHD Blu-rays.

Just a quick follow-up on this one - I'm seeing the exact opposite, and I don't know why.

One of the bonus levels for Hitman 3 ("The Icon") opens against a night sky and there was immediately loads of horrible banding apparent in default Xbox mode (little controller icon on the TV input). I haven't noticed it elsewhere but this was really obvious.

I switched the input to the PC icon and it improved immensely - there's still a tiny bit of banding if you look for it but it's a clear and obvious improvement. I switched backwards and forwards a few times to confirm it wasn't placebo. All settings are the same, the only thing that's changed is switching the little icon on the TV input from a game controller to a PC.

I don't know why this has made such a difference. As I understand it, PC mode on these TVs simply allows for 4:4:4 chroma, which should improve the appearance of small text but I wouldn't expect it to affect colour banding. It's almost like I've increased the colour depth or something.

Anyway, I don't want to derail the Series X thread but just wanted to let you know.

Is there any way of stopping the Xbox from switching to the Spotify app when you select it as a device to play music from? It's hardly onerous switching back to whatever game I'm playing, but it's a slight annoyance nonetheless.

Has anybody had any issues with a Series X?

I sent mine back to Microsoft a few weeks back, because it would turn itself off guaranteed every time I tried to play certain games (Assasins Creed Valhalla, FIFA, Sniper Elite 4 and Army Of The Dead).  Most other games I could play for hours on end with no issues.

Anyway it came back supposedly fixed at the weekend and it is now pretty much unplayable.  It has a different serial number so I am assuming it’s a different machine, but the issue is still the same in that it repeatedly turns itself off.  I tried to watch Into The Spiderverse in 4K and it turned itself off twice in under 30 minutes.  I try to download For Honour on Gamepass it turns itself off.  I try to play a game from disc and it turns off.  

The machine has plenty of ventilation and I plug it straight into the wall socket as advised but no joy, I tried it in different rooms and even took it over to my sisters,  in case there was an issue with electric supply but again the same issue.

It’s obviously going to have to go back again, but I am just concerned I lose another few weeks and the problem is not resolved.  Dealing with MS seems to be all automated with no option for online chat or to call somebody.

As a veteran MS fan I have had console issues before (notably 2 RROD’s in the 360 days), but I am more frustrated this time in that it does not seem to be a widespread issue.  The X is a lovely bit of kit, but I just want it to work (Surely not too much to ask after forking out £450 for it!!!!).

That is what has me most concerned as I also have a Series S (Traded PS4 into Game when they ran that offer a month or so back, knowing I was going to be returning the X) that works perfectly.   I just find it odd and worrying that I would have the same issue with 2 different machines, and that nobody else seems to be having a similar problem

I have had the same problem @Waggo but only a few times.

Cannot recall what game it was but the Series X turned off a couple of times some months back, getting the message on reboot its to do with overheating. No issues since until Flight Sim. It turns off every time I play it now after about 15 or so mins so had to uninstall sadly. However, my son has since played plenty of Fortnite and no issues.

Like you, plenty of ventilation, I’ve even moved from horizontal to vertical and plugged straight into wall. Even performed system ‘reboot’.

Im gonna keep an eye on it over the coming days but if it happens again, I’ll have to send off given there are only a few months left on the warranty (got mine at launch). Sorry to hear yours is still playing up. There are plenty of reports of the issue when you look online but nothing to the point where Microsoft have acknowledged it’s a problem.

I agree with you that the customer service could be better. Even just an email explaining what they have done with the repair would help. You would hope that was a brand new unit they sent you but what’s to say it was a refurb?

I owned an Xbox One X previously that I had in my conservatory and would get very hot in there in the Summer months. It ran perfectly. Dread to think if my Series X was in there now. 

On 27/07/2021 at 16:31, rgraves said:

It does act like an internal drive, and yes you can run x/s games from it. It's the *only* extension option that will run x/s games. Other drives connected via USB can be used to store x/s games, but not run them. Obviously you can both store and run previous gen (non-enhanced) games from anything - it's just a matter of speed preference.

worth pointing out there are still some "enhanced" games that will run from a 'standard' HDD.  I have, for example, Sea of Thieves on my standard external HDD.  Often the 'two arrows' icon shows suggesting it needs to be moved to internal, however if you inspect the file, you'll see it's still classed as "generation durango" not "generation scarlett" and therefore perfectly playable from a normal HDD.  I get all of the graphical benefits, albeit with longer loading times.

The list of these games isn't massive, but especially if you're on a series S like me then for managing space keeping some sizeable games off the internal drive, whilst still getting the 'next gen' graphics, can really help.  As a rough rule i would suggest that if it's an older game that has been enhanced, then there's a decent chance that behind the scenes it remains a durango generation game and work off any external drive.  If it has been released since the consoles came out, it'll almost certainly require the internal drive.

On 28/07/2021 at 08:26, Garwoofoo said:

Just a quick follow-up on this one - I'm seeing the exact opposite, and I don't know why.

One of the bonus levels for Hitman 3 ("The Icon") opens against a night sky and there was immediately loads of horrible banding apparent in default Xbox mode (little controller icon on the TV input). I haven't noticed it elsewhere but this was really obvious.

I switched the input to the PC icon and it improved immensely - there's still a tiny bit of banding if you look for it but it's a clear and obvious improvement. I switched backwards and forwards a few times to confirm it wasn't placebo. All settings are the same, the only thing that's changed is switching the little icon on the TV input from a game controller to a PC.

I don't know why this has made such a difference. As I understand it, PC mode on these TVs simply allows for 4:4:4 chroma, which should improve the appearance of small text but I wouldn't expect it to affect colour banding. It's almost like I've increased the colour depth or something.

Anyway, I don't want to derail the Series X thread but just wanted to let you know.

That's mad. I have a Samsung QLED 95t and also experience bad banding on blacks with the Xbox. I'll be giving this a go.

19 hours ago, Waggo said:

I sent mine back to Microsoft a few weeks back, because it would turn itself off guaranteed every time I tried to play certain games (Assasins Creed Valhalla, FIFA, Sniper Elite 4 and Army Of The Dead).  Most other games I could play for hours on end with no issues.

Anyway it came back supposedly fixed at the weekend and it is now pretty much unplayable.  It has a different serial number so I am assuming it’s a different machine, but the issue is still the same in that it repeatedly turns itself off.  I tried to watch Into The Spiderverse in 4K and it turned itself off twice in under 30 minutes.  I try to download For Honour on Gamepass it turns itself off.  I try to play a game from disc and it turns off.  

The machine has plenty of ventilation and I plug it straight into the wall socket as advised but no joy, I tried it in different rooms and even took it over to my sisters,  in case there was an issue with electric supply but again the same issue.

It’s obviously going to have to go back again, but I am just concerned I lose another few weeks and the problem is not resolved.  Dealing with MS seems to be all automated with no option for online chat or to call somebody.

As a veteran MS fan I have had console issues before (notably 2 RROD’s in the 360 days), but I am more frustrated this time in that it does not seem to be a widespread issue.  The X is a lovely bit of kit, but I just want it to work (Surely not too much to ask after forking out £450 for it!!!!).

Had no issues apart from the last week with Quick Resume just not working for many of the games I play. 

Supposedly Deaths Door supports it but nope, not working. 

Do the sticks on the new pad feel pretty much the same as the previous one? I think the original Bone pad is the best I've ever used in terms of how it sits in my hands, but the D-pad is terrible, I often feel the A button is unresponsive, and I get an awful lot of accidental diagonals from the sticks. I read above that the D-pad is much improved but I'm not sure I can even move back to a D-pad for platformers at this stage 😅

On 29/07/2021 at 17:31, Waggo said:

I’ve had an issue with the controller that came with the console where occasionally it decides it’s out of battery even when the batteries have plenty of power in them. Resetting the console seems to fix it. I’ve not had the same issue with my other controller, so assume it’s a controller issue rather than console.

I only got the the S to try out Flight Sim but I'm really disappointed in the performance overall. RDR2 and FH4 looked better on my old One X. Yes, I'm spoiled coming off the PS5. Yes, I should have done further research. Nevertheless, this is ugly. I thought it was supposed to be 1440p. I'll be returning it and getting back on the stock informer carousel for an X. 

On 27/07/2021 at 15:44, 5R7 said:

Dont you fucking start this again!!!!!

AA batteries are great, you put some good rechargeable ones in, a couple of 2400mAh, and off you go for a good few days of gaming, and when they die, you just switch them out! None of that bullshit ds5 5 hours crap, then plug it in!

Dual Shocks are wank and shouldn’t be used as a comparison. Having to buy rechargeables is shit. Nintendos pro pad gives you about 40 hours. Ms and Sony once again fuck their consumers.