Xbox Series X | S

If you have a TV that can support all the features then get an X. If you don't have a TV that can support all the features and don't plan to for several years, get an S.

3 minutes ago, Majora said:

If you have a TV that can support all the features then get an X. If you don't have a TV that can support all the features and don't plan to for several years, get an S.

No! Get an X, then get the TV to unlock its full potential. :D

I’d honestly argue that the X has enough benefits that, for an enthusiast, the S is ultimately pointless. You’ll get one and just end up dwelling on what it doesn’t do, rather than what it does. 

I have an S and it does support 120fps for a surprising number of games, but it’s almost indistinguishable to 60fps to me. 

It’s a great little console, but if you can afford it and have the room, the X is almost certainly the better buy. The S only has about 300GB useable storage and I can potentially see myself upgrading to an X at some point and probably losing money overall over just buying the X in the first place. 

The good news is, I don’t think you can go massively wrong either way. I’ve been very happy with the S and don’t mind the power difference between it and the PS5 at all. 

Yeah as much as anything the S is a digital console with fuck all storage.

And if you buy the upgrade you're about at the price of an X, granted with slightly more storage than a stock X.

The form factor of the S though :wub: not that the X looks bad, far from it, but I’d love that S form factor and the white colour in my lounge, it would match my Sonos Arc also in white. 

Buy an S and do the three years of Gamepass Ultimate thing.

If you end up using it loads then you can always upgrade to an X later and use the S as an emulation box. 

If you don't use it much then you can get rid of it and still have access to Gamepass on your PC. 

I personally don't rate the S at all. While it's a nice budget option and a sleek little machine it's pretty much a downgrade from a One X.

I came from a One X to a Series X and tbh there isn't a lot on it (with the software that is available atm). If my One X hadn't decided to slowly die on me I'd still be happily playing on that and I wouldn't have missed out on much so far. 

50 minutes ago, Skull Commander said:

I personally don't rate the S at all. While it's a nice budget option and a sleek little machine it's pretty much a downgrade from a One X.

I came from a One X to a Series X and tbh there isn't a lot on it (with the software that is available atm). If my One X hadn't decided to slowly die on me I'd still be happily playing on that and I wouldn't have missed out on much so far. 

The loading times are night and day though, right?

9 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

Did anyone buy a Series S? How are you finding it? I really want to get an X for game pass and the more I look at it I'm not convinced it's better than an S. Don't have a 4k TV and just want to play GP games.

Thinking I could get the expansion storage on top for the rrp of the X.

I've PM'd you.

The S is for people that don’t have anything else to compare it to and worry about how it stacks up. People looking to buy one console as their machine for this gen as their sole games machine. Something to take care of the task of providing games for the next five to ten years. It’s great for those people. Anyone else probably wants an X. 

Yeah, I can’t quite square “an S to complement a ps5 main”, when I have a boneX, and know the seriesX is a thing.

2 hours ago, Skull Commander said:

It loads faster on the Series X than the one X but it's not so pronounced as from the standard Xbox One. 

Eh? I had a One X and the difference in loading times on the Series consoles are absolute night and day. The SSD alone makes an incredible amount of different in QOL terms. I could never go back.

I think the S complements my PS5 brilliantly. 60fps is way more important than resolution, I think, and most games which are 60fps on X are 60fps on S, too. 

So in the ways that really matter - loading times, quick resume and frame rates, the S definitely stacks up. 

The S is a cool system but for anyone who is into games enough to be on this forum, I think it's the wrong choice. 

As a stopgap until the x is available more easily, sure. 

I like my S. If they were generally available, I'd have probably have got an X but it's been great. Super quiet, decent form factor, everything I have played has been smooth and my TV doesn't support 4K anyway. 

Maybe I'll upgrade in a few years, and I suspect by mid generation there may be games that start forcing it to cut a lot of corners. And the realistic alternative was just not playing on Xbox the last 6 months. 

When the S was announced I thought it was a genius idea, and the way it was sold by Microsoft as ‘doing everything the X can do but at 1440p’ made me very interested. I don’t have either an X or S yet, as PS5 was always going to be my first new-gen console, purely due to my library, but having the S as a second console was the intention. 

However, now that I’m a framerate whore it’s not so simple. Playing everything at 60fps on PS5 has been very refreshing and I hope that this stays the default or at least an option throughout the gen. From all the digital foundry vids I’ve seen, there are enough cases of Series X targeting 60fps with a dynamic res (below the 4K expectation), with S dropping to 30 so as not to drop the res too far below 1080p, that it’s making me reconsider. I’m the first to agree that resolution is not that important, but I worry that with some games already denying S owners a 60fps option this is going to become more commonplace. Now I think I will wait until I can get an X as the balance of cost/benefit is more in its favour for me. 

45 minutes ago, Gigawatt said:

When the S was announced I thought it was a genius idea, and the way it was sold by Microsoft as ‘doing everything the X can do but at 1440p’ made me very interested. I don’t have either an X or S yet, as PS5 was always going to be my first new-gen console, purely due to my library, but having the S as a second console was the intention. 

However, now that I’m a framerate whore it’s not so simple. Playing everything at 60fps on PS5 has been very refreshing and I hope that this stays the default or at least an option throughout the gen. From all the digital foundry vids I’ve seen, there are enough cases of Series X targeting 60fps with a dynamic res (below the 4K expectation), with S dropping to 30 so as not to drop the res too far below 1080p, that it’s making me reconsider. I’m the first to agree that resolution is not that important, but I worry that with some games already denying S owners a 60fps option this is going to become more commonplace. Now I think I will wait until I can get an X as the balance of cost/benefit is more in its favour for me. 

Getting an S was never an option once it was revealed there would be no disc drive, it was as simple as that, plumped straight for an X and it's been a great piece of kit so far.

I love my S, but then I play on a 22", 1080p monitor, virtually all my Xbox One games are digital, I don't play many games at once (so storage isn't an issue) and I don't mind* 30 fps.

I like that it fits my niche and gives me the option of playing newer games without the much larger outlay. Had it not been BC though I'd not have bothered. 

* Not "can't tell the difference". 60 fps is clearly better but it's not a dealbreaker. 

7 hours ago, Majora said:

Eh? I had a One X and the difference in loading times on the Series consoles are absolute night and day. The SSD alone makes an incredible amount of different in QOL terms. I could never go back.

I agree, but there was one exception - the elite version of the XBox One, which came with a hybrid drive. So due to the OS and your most recent game played being accessed the most, it did feel super responsive.

It actually made my purchase of the One X kind of infuriating - it was really nice in terms of just graphics performance, but loading times were absolutely abysmal compared to the massive lump :lol:

At least the Series S brought that SSD snappiness back, and had more CPU grunt that it made minimum framerates bearable in games that allowed for it (even before the FPS boost initiative).

4 hours ago, MikeBeaver said:

Getting an S was never an option once it was revealed there would be no disc drive

I would have said so too, but having got my X on launch day,  it's had 2 discs in it.  A movie and one game. 

I wouldn't have thought it would come around so soon,  but I think it's entirely possible that I'll never buy a physical game again.  My only concern would be the control given to platform holders re: pricing.  Even if I'm not buying discs,  I'm glad other people are.

5 hours ago, Wahwah* said:

I would have said so too, but having got my X on launch day,  it's had 2 discs in it.  A movie and one game. 

I wouldn't have thought it would come around so soon,  but I think it's entirely possible that I'll never buy a physical game again.  My only concern would be the control given to platform holders re: pricing.  Even if I'm not buying discs,  I'm glad other people are.

Mines had plenty in there, even tough I hav Gamepass.

The X is at the office, and the D/L speed there is abysmal, we've only had high speed in the house for the last 6 weeks, so Outriders took over 24 hours to preload at work!

It's also required, so that I can test discs for resale, it was a company purchase ;) On the rare occassion that I actually find X1 games at boot sales, can't be sending them out the door without testing, and wasn't keeping the 1X any longer than required.

I have an X turning up tomorrow, I'm thinking of doing this if it works? I was going to buy some cards on shopto as they are 40 quid for 12 months.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3404524/get-3-years-xbox-game-pass-ultimate-tip.html

When you activate Microsoft’s promotion, it not only begins the trial, but also converts existing Xbox Live Gold and standard Xbox Game Pass subscriptions on your account to Game Pass Ultimate (normally $15 per month) at a 1:1 rate. Any prepaid time up to the maximum of three years gets the upgrade.

Anyone else got that to work?

Just make sure you turn off auto-renew when you redeem the codes - or you can't get all three years in. Obviously, don't if you're not doing the full three years and have room for the extra though.

Full guide in the first post!

• djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S