Xbox Series X | S

I started Yakuza Kiwami on PC last year and I feel like restarting it on my new SS but, ... the jaggies are gigantic! Up to the point they are distracting.

I think the main flaw of the SS  is that it runs xbox one games like a one s. 

Also I think the upscaler of the SS and i guess SX is pretty horrible. 

here is the offender...

IMG_20210404_224558.jpg

Series S is great to cure my PC gaming snobbery. Less is more sometimes.

10 hours ago, daifuco said:

Couldn't help but smile at these comments made within hours of each other by the same person.

6 hours ago, daifuco said:

I started Yakuza Kiwami on PC last year and I feel like restarting it on my new SS but, ... the jaggies are gigantic! Up to the point they are distracting.

I think this point to the main flaw of the SS  is that it runs xbox one games like a one s. 

here is the offender...

IMG_20210404_224558.jpg

Series X is for 4K, Series S, HD. If it’s higher resolutions you’re after you might be better off with an X. 

2 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Series X is for 4K, Series S, HD. If it’s higher resolutions you’re after you might be better off with an X. 

Does anyone know the frame rate of Yakuza 6 on Series X? Is it 60fps?

As someone who had a one X I really wouldn't recommend a Series S to those with a one x. Downgrade in many older games of course from 4k 30fps or 1080p/60 fps to 900p, but what has disappointed is so few games optimised or exclusive to Series S in the nearly 5 months since launch. Id hoped for a few more by now. Deffo get a series X if you can. I couldn't so jumped on an S when I saw it was available.

I run a series x in the living room on a 4K set and a series s in the bedroom on a 1080p set.

Both look awesome to me in that configuration which I’m guessing is what they intended. Being able to switch the yakuza games between the two with cloud saving is awesome. 

13 minutes ago, MNFRMTMRRW said:

Does anyone know the frame rate of Yakuza 6 on Series X? Is it 60fps?

It will be 30 if Yakuza Kiwami 2 is anything to go by, both run on the same engine. I found it really jarring going from Kiwami to Kiwami 2 because of the difference.

Ironically I have just started 3 and it jumps back to 60. Now feels like Kiryu is on rollerskates everywhere and moving at super speed.

My little brother is playing on the original Xbox one (fat) and has been feeling a bit down over lockdown recently.

Over the past few nights I've been thinking of treating him to a Series S which would be perfect for him... Except I forgot he has all of his games on disc :( everything.

And I'm kinda stumped to be honest. A One X doesn't make sense and a Series X is out of my budget. Would love to get him a Series S but he wouldn't be able to play any of his games, sadly. He's playing FIFA 21 and Black Ops which, given its EA & Activision, leads me to believe there's no digital upgrade path?

10 minutes ago, Simmy said:

My little brother is playing on the original Xbox one (fat) and has been feeling a bit down over lockdown recently.

Over the past few nights I've been thinking of treating him to a Series S which would be perfect for him... Except I forgot he has all of his games on disc :( everything.

And I'm kinda stumped to be honest. A One X doesn't make sense and a Series X is out of my budget. Would love to get him a Series S but he wouldn't be able to play any of his games, sadly. He's playing FIFA 21 and Black Ops which, given its EA & Activision, leads me to believe there's no digital upgrade path?

FIFA 21 comes to game pass in may

a series s and GP would be great! 

7 minutes ago, Simmy said:

Definitely not for Black Ops but isn’t FIFA part of the Gamepass sub if he gets that? 

How about just a One X? They should be able to be had for a fairly decent price, especially if he already has a pad, I shifted mine on here for £130 or something like that sans controller, I'm sure you'll find one around that price, and it's a nice upgrade from the VCR model for sure.

13 hours ago, daifuco said:

I think the main flaw of the SS  is that it runs xbox one games like a one s. 

here is the offender...

Kiwami is basically a ps3 game, don't expect anything too fancy. 

19 hours ago, Hitcher said:

Why have you got both X and S?

9 hours ago, SF-02 said:

Deffo get a series X if you can. I couldn't so jumped on an S when I saw it was available.

This. I got the S in January as my Xbox One was dying, I was regularly getting error messages wherever I tried to boot games (digital or from disc, trying a different storage device made no difference). My preference was to get a Series X but none were in stock. In fact, there were no new Xbox's at all; no X or S, not even One S or One X. So when the S was available I jumped on it; lockdown without a console didn't sound like fun. Now that I've got the X the S is basically going to be a Game Pass console. 

2 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

Why can't your X be that?

It can, if I want it to. I'm not interested in selling the S though, so for now it'll be a dedicated Game Pass console. 

28 minutes ago, alxbly said:

It can, if I want it to. I'm not interested in selling the S though, so for now it'll be a dedicated Game Pass console. 

I really want to know more. So any game you buy outright, you play on the X. But any game that's on game pass you play on the S. But what if a game is about to leave game pass and you buy it - do you delete it from the S and redownload on the X?

And if you buy a game and it subsequently gets added to game pass - do you delete it from the X and redownload it on the S because it's now available on game pass? But you also did buy it, so what holds more weight in this case?

And what about games with gold? Do you play those on the X or the S?

There is some logic with using the S as a dedicated gamepass console

I must admit if I had to purchase Dirt 5 now to play it on the S... I would be slightly annoyed because it looks a bit too blury (just a bit).  And paying full next gen price to play the blurier version, it is not ideal.

That being said I'm really enjoying my time with it on gamepass.

If I buy any game on the Xbox, will the game show up on my PC? I was surprised to see Forza Horizon 3 and Killer Instinct on the list of Xbox purchased games both bought on  windows store.

20 minutes ago, daifuco said:

That being said I'm really enjoying my time with it on gamepass.

If I buy any game on the Xbox, will the game show up on my PC? I was surprised to see Forza Horizon 3 and Killer Instinct on the list of Xbox purchased games both bought on  windows store.

It has to be a 'play anywhere' game and I'm not sure they use that term much anymore because their focus is more on gamepass on the windows side than on selling games. 

But basically any Microsoft published games (forza and KI for example) will work that way.