Xbox Series X | S

23 minutes ago, Bojangle said:

Heaven forbid the guy will tweet personal news from his personal account.

If he smokes weed while composing music for a game, does he call it a high score?

4 minutes ago, Timmo said:

Imagine thinking anyone cares enough for you to announce your upcoming announcement about leaving a company. 

To be fair saying "I'm open to freelance work" is something that lots of people do on twitter.  He got sort of lucky in that a lot of people who wanted it to be a bigger announcement shared it. 

It's not just fully engaged Xbox fans who jumped aboard either, I saw people think it might be about a PS5 update for Death Stranding and Geoff Keighly acknowledged the tweet too. 

Saying "you guys are idiots if you thought it would be anything else" was uncool of him though, he knew what was happening and let it roll on. He could have phrased that in a nicer way. 

Not his best moment I guess.  But I understand what he means.
Now that I got the Series S and back into console gaming... I'm listening some podcasts and... Oh dear I forgot the console gaming metagame with  all the platform wars rumours and drama. 

A friend of mine has been looking for a series S for a while now. He messaged me today to let me know he had finally received one. Then immediately asked me how to transfer his old disc based games on to it :doh:

I know some people have picked up Skyrim since FPS Boost was enabled, so I'm curious if anyone's encountered the same issue that I have. Generally the game runs very well but several times I've had camera movement become horrendously juddery, almost like the input is being captured at a different rate than the actual frame output. I believe the framerate itself remains fine, but the judder is extremely noticeable if you're circle-strafing by moving the left and right sticks in opposite directions.

I think the issue might be related to starting a session from Quick Resume, but I haven't been documenting exactly when it kicks in. Quitting the game and booting it fresh fixes things, but I'm wondering if anyone had noticed something similar.

52 minutes ago, SteveH said:

A friend of mine has been looking for a series S for a while now. He messaged me today to let me know he had finally received one. Then immediately asked me how to transfer his old disc based games on to it :doh:

50 minutes ago, Mr Do 71 said:

Better point him in the direction of the Xbox store. :lol:

Better yet, help him get Game Pass sorted and watch him instantly forget all his granpa discs

7 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Better yet, help him get Game Pass sorted and watch him instantly forget all his granpa discs

I've tried and tried to convince him to get gamepass and he just won't budge. He said he just wants to buy AAA games and said he isn't interested in the "cheaper games" (read: indie etc) on gamepass. He mainly plays on the PS4 though so he isn't exactly intelligent :) 

2 hours ago, Ferine said:

I know some people have picked up Skyrim since FPS Boost was enabled, so I'm curious if anyone's encountered the same issue that I have. Generally the game runs very well but several times I've had camera movement become horrendously juddery, almost like the input is being captured at a different rate than the actual frame output. I believe the framerate itself remains fine, but the judder is extremely noticeable if you're circle-strafing by moving the left and right sticks in opposite directions.

I think the issue might be related to starting a session from Quick Resume, but I haven't been documenting exactly when it kicks in. Quitting the game and booting it fresh fixes things, but I'm wondering if anyone had noticed something similar.

Yep, I had one particular instance of this (which was before the FPS boost but when I was using the 60FPS mod). It seemed to get worse and worse as I played, with the camera getting more juddery. Qutting the game from the dash seemed to fix it for me as well.

39 minutes ago, Jg15 said:

Yep, I had one particular instance of this (which was before the FPS boost but when I was using the 60FPS mod). It seemed to get worse and worse as I played, with the camera getting more juddery. Qutting the game from the dash seemed to fix it for me as well.

Ah, good to know it isn't some kind of issue with FPS Boost. Skyrim itself being technically rough isn't exactly a revelation, so I'm guessing it's just some weird cumulative RAM issue that wasn't so obvious when the game was 30fps.

As Elder Scrolls VI must be years away my vain hope is that they might consult with Arkane on... well, the feel of pretty much every mechanic. Maybe Microsoft could spring for a few more voice actors, too.

15 hours ago, Ferine said:

13 hours ago, Jg15 said:

Do you both have VRR on at all?

I also had this issue, then turned off VRR and that fixed it. 

I have two monitors, both freesync. With my old one (4K/60hz) I get VRR. But with the newer one (1440p/144hz) I don't. 

I don't know why and what/if there's anything I can do.

If I change the settings to manual HDMI I can strangely change the refresh to 120 but then the resolution will go to 1080p butstill, no VRR choice.

I am not really interested in the 120hz because I'm realistic and  it is a Series S but I think VRR could help a lot

20 minutes ago, daifuco said:

I have two monitors, both freesync. With my old one (4K/60hz) I get VRR. But with the newer one (1440p/144hz) I don't. 

I don't know why and what/if there's anything I can do.

If I change the settings to manual HDMI I can strangely change the refresh to 120 but then the resolution will go to 1080p butstill, no VRR choice.

I am not really interested in the 120hz because I'm realistic and  it is a Series S but I think VRR could help a lot

Worth noting, on Xbox the 120hz toggle in the settings is a global setting. The Xbox will always output 120hz even if the frame-rate is lower. 

This basically halves the latency on the TV/Monitor. 

8 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Worth noting, on Xbox the 120hz toggle in the settings is a global setting. The Xbox will always output 120hz even if the frame-rate is lower. 

This basically halves the latency on the TV/Monitor. 

Isn't it that the dashboard setting means "up to, depending on software" rather than "always"? 

13 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

Isn't it that the dashboard setting means "up to, depending on software" rather than "always"? 

Nope, apparently not with the Xbox! 

It's all in that video. I appreciate it's 15 mins long or something, but Vincent points out that the Xbox will always output 120 frames which cuts down input lag by half. 

If you're playing a locked to 60 fps game, the machine will send the frame, then a duplicate frame to the tv, before moving to the next one. 

1 hour ago, shirubagan said:

I just ordered one of the massively overpriced memory expansions because fuck it.

I can’t deny that I’m tempted - I keep having to transfer stuff between my internal and external drives. Of course, I could just stick to playing a limited number of games at once... and tbh, a couple on the internal are ones that I ‘want’ to have there but am not actually playing. 

2 hours ago, shirubagan said:

I just ordered one of the massively overpriced memory expansions because fuck it.

I did the same and it felt good. Now have way more games installed just because I can.

I just bought a cheapish external ssd instead, can dump all the non-x games I'm playing onto that and still get the super fast loading. copying back and forth takes seconds and it doesn't make the racket my external hdd was making. 

If there was a 1tb version of the expansion card though, I'd be tempted. The value is OK actually, it's just too expensive for me because of the size.