Being ashamed of saying the name of a video game aloud

8 hours ago, dumpster said:

crash31.jpg

That was her making her way through the office back to her car of a night time.
"Hey, I was just wondering if you'd be free for a dr-" POW!
"Excuse me, I sit opposite you next to the coo-" KAERRUNCH!
"You dropped your hair bobble, can I eat it?" WABOWY!
"I'm the pale, awkward geeky lad who does the cover art, I made th-" RAGAMBO!

Still happens today of course, but all behind closed doors, they wouldn't paint the same mural on the side of the ubisoft building, it'd be similar but with her her lying on the canvas and the aliens winning.

Weird expression on her face. She looks like a mild mannered news reader choosing something from the vending machine.

Re. "Shen-moo" and "Shen-mooie", another thing I heard when watching YouTube news about the Kickstarter was "Shen-mew". Which I can kind of see because of due and cue, but I'm way too used to "shen-moo" to pronounce it any other way...

11 hours ago, dumpster said:

Not a game name, but I remember being embarrassed to buy this issue at the newsagents

crash31.jpg

Has anyone interviewed Hannah Smith on a podcast? I'd be interested to hear about her experience at Newsfield and what she did afterwards.

I remember being embarrassed when buying Computer & Video Games #128b/129 (the final fight cover).

When I went to buy Lumines for the PSP back in the day from Gamestation it wasn't on the shelf, so I had to go and ask for it. I asked for "Loo-min-ez" (which is near enough). Not a fucking scooby from the chap behind the counter. Alright then, I'll beg - "Loo-mins". Result! Still rankles, mind.

This sort of topic came up when talking to a friend about Them’s Fightin’ Herds recently. I think it’s one of the best fighting games of the last 10 years. Well balanced, tonnes of depth, massive variety of play styles despite the small roster, wonderful music, flawless net code, the list goes on. 

However, when recommending it we both always qualify it with “try and get past the art style and it’s good”. But I secretly love the art style. The characters are brimming with personality, are beautifully animated, have colour palettes that make nods to all sorts of other forms of media, have great voice acting and have loads of fun little specific interactions with each other. I don’t overlook the fact that the roster is cutesy my little pony-esque characters, I think it’s actually part of the appeal. Despite this, I still always recommend it with a touch of shame and embarrassment, while many of my fellow FGC members have no qualms at all about playing Boobfighters.  

I’m actually like this when ordering cocktails or sandwiches that have quirky / wanky names, come to think of it. I always just point at the thing I want on the menu and say “this one, please.” :quote: No way I’m saying that goofy shit out loud on a date or whatever.

23 hours ago, Rob Rule said:

Conclusion: there is a u in yakuza after all. What a rollercoaster.

Can I wade in on this too? It’s pretty much the equivalent of contracting “it is” to “it’s” in English - it’s just easier in the tongue. 

If you were doing a test every sound would be properly enunciated. 

Dai ichi: otoko no yakuza to onna no yakuza ga imasu...

On the magazine front, it's incredibly tame now, but the ST/Amiga Format "Sex Machine" cover was probably a bit awkward for my parents to buy for me. I think I was 8 at the time.

Maria Whittaker's digital boobs in the article didn't even phase me.

001.thumb.jpg.618b9040c1f82edda889cf317aabf879.jpg

Colossus chess though, eh?

I think I've said this on here before. I begged my parents for ages to get a me a subscription to have Your Sinclair delivered to the house by the local newsagent, assuring them that it wasn't 'too old' for me. Then then the first bloody issue that turns up through the letterbox was this in a see-through cellophane sleeve.

spacer.png

On 28/08/2020 at 16:57, MarkN said:

When I went to buy Lumines for the PSP back in the day from Gamestation it wasn't on the shelf, so I had to go and ask for it. I asked for "Loo-min-ez" (which is near enough). Not a fucking scooby from the chap behind the counter. Alright then, I'll beg - "Loo-mins". Result! Still rankles, mind.

image.thumb.png.719ddc3fe653ad15794ff0f570b639a8.png

Years ago, I was sitting on a train playing on my GBA. The train was coming towards a stop and this kid and her mum got up to get off. As the kid was passing my seat she saw the GBA and stopped to ask what I was playing. It wasn't exactly embarrassment, but I didn't want to have to say the name 'Tales of Phantasia' and then get into any follow up questions. To my great shame I ended up replying 'mind your own business', as if it was terribly rude to just ask a stranger what they were playing. And then her mum called back for her to huirry up, so that was that. Bad me.

On 28/08/2020 at 14:53, Rob Rule said:

Conclusion: there is a u in yakuza after all. What a rollercoaster.

I understood what Dekay was struggling to say, and I knew he was right, but I think of all the people on the forum to listen to for advice about, well, being right about anything at all, Dekay surely must be very nearly at the bottom of the list.

Like, I started doubting my own knowledge because what he said agreed with me.

17 minutes ago, BadgerFarmer said:

Years ago, I was sitting on a train playing on my GBA. The train was coming towards a stop and this kid and her mum got up to get off. As the kid was passing my seat she saw the GBA and stopped to ask what I was playing. It wasn't exactly embarrassment, but I didn't want to have to say the name 'Tales of Phantasia' and then get into any follow up questions. To my great shame I ended up replying 'mind your own business', as if it was terribly rude to just ask a stranger what they were playing. And then her mum called back for her to huirry up, so that was that. Bad me.

This is just... 

Why didn’t you just say “an RPG” or something? 

30 minutes ago, BadgerFarmer said:

I’d probably go “er just that game....you know the one that was on the telly....hahahaha” or some awkward shit like that

2 hours ago, sir stiff_one said:

I understood what Dekay was struggling to say, and I knew he was right, but I think of all the people on the forum to listen to for advice about, well, being right about anything at all, Dekay surely must be very nearly at the bottom of the list.

Like, I started doubting my own knowledge because what he said agreed with me.

Did you just out me as a TRJP alt?

On 28/08/2020 at 14:08, deerokus said:

I always said YAWSHee, most Americans seem to say YO-shee. They're weird and wrong. 

My friends and I grew up with YO-shee. But between that and the NES hammering the Master System into insignificance in our peer group, I'm beginning to wonder if North London was in a bit of a gaming bubble back then.