Football Thread 2020/2021

What I have learned from the Messi business is that a bureaufax (not a fax) is a legally admissible way of sending documents in Spain - Messi didnt send them a handwritten scrawl which came out on a tightly rolled sheet of thermal paper.

1 hour ago, Gotters said:

What I have learned from the Messi business is that a bureaufax (not a fax) is a legally admissible way of sending documents in Spain - Messi didnt send them a handwritten scrawl which came out on a tightly rolled sheet of thermal paper.

That's disappointing.

13 hours ago, spork said:

My favourite recent Barcelona story is that after De Jong joined them last summer he was shocked when he found out how little they were worked in training as the older players had so much power that they were able to pretty much dictate that they wanted to do less training. He ended up hiring his own personal coach to keep his fitness levels up. Pretty crazy that player power can be that bad.

Funny how that's the same issue Guardiola had to combat when he started at Barca, leading to him selling off their big stars and relying on talented younger players... 

16 hours ago, Waggo said:

Can't agree with you I am afraid (Well maybe Charlie Nicholas), as I enjoyed the banter on Soccer Saturday amongst Jeff and the team.

Think Le Tissier definitely was getting a little too political for Sky's liking.:bye:

By political you mean spreading missinformatio like a lunatic.

I quite liked Phil Thompson tbh, not just cause of the Liverpool links, I would have kept him. I'm not arsed about Le Tissier and Nicholas though.

I hate that so many people have gone straight in on the "they're just sacking white guys so they can hire black people and woman. Firstly, who gives a fuck what their gender or skin colour is, if they know football and can have a luagh at the same time then hire whoever. Secondly, shows need a mix up every now and again anyway, it doesn't need to be an old boys club. Get some young blood in there.

I think apart from Gary Neville and Roy Keane Sky has been very grey and corporate for years - their coverage is pretty dull now and I think BT do a much better overall job, which is odd as I find many of their pundits annoying, but somehow that is better than dull.

sky desperately need a bit of personality and energy in their line ups.

An acquaintence of mine on Twitter does an amazing "Inside Roy Keane's head" thing on Twitter which means I can't actually watch him in the studio listening to the presenter any more.

“I’m not sharing a cab with these pricks .... I wonder what this table is made from ... I nearly punched a pigeon this morning ...I’ve got a pork pie in my pocket ... a dickie bow, feck off!! ..my turn now.”

“A cup of tea? You pricks will spike it ... Giggs is wearing shit shoes ...where can you buy those massive toilet rolls .... how many fags can I get through customs ..I broke Neville’s pen, ponce pen ... go on, ask me a question dickhead.”

“They didn’t tell me I’d be sharing a studio with these pricks .... think I’ll watch Deadpool later ..... shut up Neville ... if that cameraman looks at me like that again I’ll drop him ... stir fried owl ...”

"... I’m a barbie girl in a barbie w.... Neville’s breathing is annoying me. ... I shouldn’t have stolen all that ham from the buffet ... I so want to hit Neville ....”

• Upvote 7
  • Empathy 1

Surprised by the decision to sack Scott Minto as he's really good at fronting the EFL coverage.

Nicholas, Le Tiss and Thompson are all rubbish though - I think sports broadcasting has (quite rightly) moved on from the 'lovable bias' from pundits.  I really enjoy Soccer Saturday but not the output from any of those three.  Good riddance.

Would be good to see the likes of Matt Murray and Alex Scott get more screen time.

55 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

Surprised by the decision to sack Scott Minto as he's really good at fronting the EFL coverage.

Really surprised at that one; he's a genuinely decent presenter, very knowledgable, asks great and pertinent questions and makes the most of the guests he has on. 

Compared to David Jones and his dreadful, anodyne presenting, including this nonsense.

I'd like to see more of Micah Richards on Sky/BBC. He's not the finished article at all,  but he's so bubbly, happy and passionate it makes a welcome change.

11 hours ago, Tomcat said:

Leicester have made more than £225 million profit on the sales of Mahrez, Kante, Drinkwater, Maguire and Chilwell.

That's amazing business.

We've just tied Maddison, Vardy and Mendy to longer contracts as well, with Soyuncu and Ndidi on the cards. Demari Gray has a year left so unless he signs one soon they'll flog him to Spurs. It does seem that we're a really well run club at the moment; I can't praise our Thai ownership enough. Culturally they've understood the city and looked at helping it beyond the football club. 

Our transfer work over the last three seasons has been superb, but we bought poorly in 2016-17. Slimani £27m, Musa £17m, Adrien Silva £22m, Iborra £14m. Regrets there. 

57 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

I think Le Tiss was ok.

Gutted about Matt Doherty, really odd one from a Wolves' point of view, his raw output will be hard to replace.

I hope there's a larger plan at work.

It would make no sense to sell him if there isn't something lined up.

As an aside, Doherty is a player who has COMPLETELY proved me wrong - he's been superb since Nuno's arrival and is an integral part of the the system we play.  Which is why this move doesn't make sense without a replacement, and is why I don't get why Spurs want him.  

Still - arrived for 75k, 10 years' service across 3 divisions and leaves for more than 150 times what we paid for him isn't bad business!!

2 minutes ago, spork said:

Aren't you likely in for Diego Dalot from Man Utd? He's even Portuguese!

Not that I've heard!  The big rumour is we're talking to Ainsley Mailand-Niles but need to agree a fee with Arsenal.  

1 hour ago, Boothjan said:

It would make no sense to sell him if there isn't something lined up.

As an aside, Doherty is a player who has COMPLETELY proved me wrong - he's been superb since Nuno's arrival and is an integral part of the the system we play.  Which is why this move doesn't make sense without a replacement, and is why I don't get why Spurs want him.  

Still - arrived for 75k, 10 years' service across 3 divisions and leaves for more than 150 times what we paid for him isn't bad business!!

Have you seen our right-backs?

There’s probably people that post on this forum that could a better job than Serge Aurier.

• Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, Charliemouse said:

Have you seen our right-backs?

There’s probably people that post on this forum that could a better job than Serge Aurier.

Yes - but if you're thinking of playing Matt Doherty as a straight right back, you're going to be very, very disappointed in his output.  He's looked really good in the very specific system we play, where we don't ask him to do much defending but he's always struggled as a standard full back, and he's played on both sides for us in the past.

Even in a standard 3-5-2 I'm not sure you'll see the best from him.  For us, he does an extremely specific role very well.  We will miss him, assuming we haven't got a more versatile replacement lined up.  

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, Swallow said:

Fairly obvious Mourinho will switch to a 3-5-2 as it hides the deficiencies of the Spurs squad and stops them having to keep people like Lamela around the place.

Lamela will always have a place in the squad, if only if that’s to come on for the last ten mins and kick lumps out of the opposition, Jose must love him.

58 minutes ago, Gotters said:

Sky having a right clear out with 3 shows shit canned too - The Debate, journos eat croissants fest Sunday Supplement and Goals on Sunday 

I didn’t realise the ending ending of my Sky Sports subscription this month would hit them this hard. 

• Upvote 4

2819de8.thumb.jpg.3066a8bd076ed47741da4bc3d4477590.jpg

Aside from RB, surely there's never been a national squad with even close to this depth. Beyond ridiculous!

You'd fancy their 4th team to do pretty well in a tournament.

Just look at left back. The worst player there cost City £50m.

• Upvote 1