Football Thread 2020/2021

On 15/08/2020 at 18:17, Waggo said:

Not liking the suggestion that Bielsa would be an ideal fit for Barca.:unsure:

No, what's being reported is Messi wants to play for Bielsa :eyebrows:

He counts towards the home grown player count doesn't he. Time at Spurs might do him good if they have a good goalkeeping coach and he can sort out his confidence level. 

Fixtures for Spurs will be 1. Man City.  2. Liverpool.  3. someonewhowilltripSpursupAston Villa 4. Chelsea.  

Arsenal will be in October or November, as always.

What’s actually going to happen now with fans watching their team if they can’t actually attend? the restart had every game live didn’t it? Say if Aston Villa are not shown first 5 games, are the fans just going on highlights? and that’s just premier league, what about a Rochdale fan? probably won’t even know who actually plays for their own team 

9 minutes ago, Mike1812 said:

To be fair, it's probably the best time to play them. 

I will take a point right now.8-)

Think we are definitely going to need results from fixtures 2 & 3 ( Fulham and Sheff Utd) though. Should give us a good early indication as to how competitive we are actually going to be.

29 minutes ago, JamesTW said:

What’s actually going to happen now with fans watching their team if they can’t actually attend? the restart had every game live didn’t it? Say if Aston Villa are not shown first 5 games, are the fans just going on highlights? and that’s just premier league, what about a Rochdale fan? probably won’t even know who actually plays for their own team 

Great point and I think this may well turn out to be the biggest danger for many lower league clubs.  Being a fan is a journey which starts with the optimism that goes with the blank slate of a new season. How  many are going to be willing to jump on board on a cold wet November Tuesday evening, if their team are already 13th in the table by then with the season pretty much over for them?

1 hour ago, JamesTW said:

I presume they won't be able to show all the games without paying the clubs more money. They were only able to via the restart because there'd been no live football for months and it was that or pay Sky back millions.

The other side to it of course is the costs of testing players - which was one of the barriers to the lower leagues restarting and hence why they didn't. How is that going to be resolved so the whole pyramid can start again? I can't imagine it's cheap to be doing full testing every few days (I think the PL players were being tested twice a week?) and with no revenue coming in, it's hard to see how many clubs will be able to fund that.

They are paying Sky back millions as it is.  £300m, in total I think was the number.  The bigger clubs pay more, the relegated and promoted clubs pay less and I seem to remember that it is deferred for a season.

Yep, because the league didn't finish in time it had to pay the broadcasters compensation.

They then got the bonus of a massive festival of football that finishes this weekend. The broadcasters can't have lost out from the current situation.

3 hours ago, JamesTW said:

There's a streaming service called iFollow

https://www.efl.com/iFollow/

They did have a rule that you can't stream a match on a Saturday at 3pm in the UK (easy to get around using a VPN).

Most clubs are affiliated (this is League 1 and 2).

What is likely to happen is that they'll allow all games to be shown.  It's browser based and not too bad - some clubs are much better with the filming than others.  There's no commentary as far as I know but then, I've only watched Plymouth Argyle games on it.  We've been told as season ticket holders that if we can't get in to home games, they'll share the stream with us for free.

3 hours ago, Waggo said:

Great point and I think this may well turn out to be the biggest danger for many lower league clubs.  Being a fan is a journey which starts with the optimism that goes with the blank slate of a new season. How  many are going to be willing to jump on board on a cold wet November Tuesday evening, if their team are already 13th in the table by then with the season pretty much over for them?

The lower leagues tend to be far more competitive - there always seems to be a side in League 2 that is 20th around Xmas time and ends up in the play-offs.  Lower League fans are also infinitely more loyal.  You obviously get more fans going if you're pushing for promotion but my side were pretty much 9,000 fans every game last year.  The core support doesn't really seem to fluctuate, regardless of league position.

2 hours ago, Plissken said:

Wohoo!  All ready for the big kickoff against... Match Postponed.

Same for the Villa.  Should have been Man City away, instead we start against Sheffield United at home after having an extra week of pre season.  I'll take it. 

47 minutes ago, neoELITE said:

There's a streaming service called iFollow

https://www.efl.com/iFollow/

They did have a rule that you can't stream a match on a Saturday at 3pm in the UK (easy to get around using a VPN).

Most clubs are affiliated (this is League 1 and 2).

What is likely to happen is that they'll allow all games to be shown.  It's browser based and not too bad - some clubs are much better with the filming than others.  There's no commentary as far as I know but then, I've only watched Plymouth Argyle games on it.  We've been told as season ticket holders that if we can't get in to home games, they'll share the stream with us for free.

The Championship is on there too and so the Reading games were free to season ticket holders for the remaining games, not that watching Reading is ever a great spectacle. More atmosphere at home than ever used to be in the ground too :lol:

I guess they'll probably do the same for the 20/21 season, they still haven't announced anything about season tickets though.

4 minutes ago, Gabe said:

The Championship is on there too and so the Reading games were free to season ticket holders for the remaining games, not that watching Reading is ever a great spectacle. More atmosphere at home than ever used to be in the ground too :lol:

I guess they'll probably do the same for the 20/21 season, they still haven't announced anything about season tickets though.

It’s only going to get worse this season, I will be shocked if Reading don’t get relegated this season, or even worse go into administration.

Since Madejski stepped down, we have been terribly run by a series of owners who simply haven’t got a clue what they are doing.

Yeah, they got away with it both last season and even more so in the 18/19 season. They can't keep flirting with the drop, especially when the better players have been loanees.

At least their games are usually good for seeing some goals ;)