Football Thread 2020/2021

18 hours ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Lads, you're not gonna believe this.

We've signed a player from Portugal.

This is SO exciting!! Cant wait to see him play.

A few other signings supposedly close to happening next week - good news!

• Upvote 1

I'm putting my eggs in the "pre season with a new manager who's using the games to find the best team for the Slovakia game" but they've been pretty poor tonight.

Actually better for the first 15 minutes of the second half and then Finland scored. Finland are a more settled side and unlike Ireland, or Bulgaria from Thursday, they've already qualified for the Euros. 

But if Ireland are to do the same, they'll be hoping this is just a lack of match fitness and not a much bigger job for Kenny.

Overall, that was a really poor first half and some slightly better play in the second, but on a very simple scale based on the number of times the goalkeepers were required to make a good save, Finland win 3-1. Randolph comes out of that with the most credit, and not for the first time for an Ireland side.

There's going to be a lot of improvements needed in the next month if they're going to beat Slovakia. Kenny has an awful lot of work to do to give this side a real threat in the manner he wants to play. I've no doubt it can be achieved, and the worst thing that could happen is a knee-jerk regression to physical play. 

In part, I think they've been too slow to get forward, which is why I'm hoping there's a lack of real match fitness at work. There's not really been enough movement to provide outlets for the midfield to cut open the opposition. Idah's having to drop deeper to collect a pass but there's nobody there for a quick pass to start stretching a defence, so the attack peters out and the ball goes back to the defence too often.

That's something I expect will improve as the season goes on, the players get more games, and the side get more games together. As a preparation for the playoff semi-final, though, things so far have been more exploratory than encouraging, and that's a bit dispiriting.

2 hours ago, Fry Crayola said:

Overall, that was a really poor first half and some slightly better play in the second, but on a very simple scale based on the number of times the goalkeepers were required to make a good save, Finland win 3-1. Randolph comes out of that with the most credit, and not for the first time for an Ireland side.

There's going to be a lot of improvements needed in the next month if they're going to beat Slovakia. Kenny has an awful lot of work to do to give this side a real threat in the manner he wants to play. I've no doubt it can be achieved, and the worst thing that could happen is a knee-jerk regression to physical play. 

In part, I think they've been too slow to get forward, which is why I'm hoping there's a lack of real match fitness at work. There's not really been enough movement to provide outlets for the midfield to cut open the opposition. Idah's having to drop deeper to collect a pass but there's nobody there for a quick pass to start stretching a defence, so the attack peters out and the ball goes back to the defence too often.

That's something I expect will improve as the season goes on, the players get more games, and the side get more games together. As a preparation for the playoff semi-final, though, things so far have been more exploratory than encouraging, and that's a bit dispiriting.

Turning Ireland's style around is the work of a generation. I watched an awful lot of them over the past 10 years, including live. The idea there is a secret hidden passing team in there is one of the more baffling myths. 

I've always though we should be sharpening the counter. There are loads of times we get the ball with the opposition shape a bit broken and we're just so ponderous about it. You don't necessarily need many passes in that situation, just a some good ones. Northern Ireland play very direct and have had success with it. 

Will be happy if Kenny turns it around. But I expect at least one campaign of misery.

Not picking Obafemi ahead of players who have less Premiership starts than he has goals is not the time of thing that buys you time, though. 

I'd position myself as less pessimistic than that, but the next campaign may well be one where the team just aren't there yet. I do hope Kenny's post match statement that he considered these games as room to experiment ahead of Slovakia wasn't just an easy thing to say after the fact. 

That's an interesting and technical explanation, though I'm not sure that's a surprise to many people - it's been a recurring theme in recent years that the club have to sell before they can buy.

John Henry is in it to make money.  He's a smart guy - he invests when it is necessary, but doesn't throw money around.  He's not taking a Glazer approach of simply milking the club but rather building its value in order to sell it for a multiple of what he bought it for.

He did the same with the Boston Red Sox.  It's ultimately about the money, but also he got three World Series wins out of a big club that had failed for the best part of a century.

• Upvote 1

Mahrez and Laporte have Covid-19.

Mahrez was out in Mykonos a couple of weeks ago and was partying with everyone in the bar, buying them all drinks and generally having a good time. Saw the picture of him and a friend's brother last week. He definitely wasn't socially distanced.

16 hours ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

What did you make of Doherty today? Twitter was not complimentary 

I think of Doherty as more of a wing back, same as Enda Stevens. Being asked to play as full backs doesn’t make the best use of their ability. 

The midfield is the main problem with the team. There is just no talent there. As much stick as Glen Whelan used to get, at least he provided some protection to the defence and could hold onto the ball. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Plissken said:

John Henry is in it to make money.  He's a smart guy - he invests when it is necessary, but doesn't throw money around.  He's not taking a Glazer approach of simply milking the club but rather building its value in order to sell it for a multiple of what he bought it for.

He did the same with the Boston Red Sox.  It's ultimately about the money, but also he got three World Series wins out of a big club that had failed for the best part of a century.

Well, exactly - but I think fact has never been hidden and I'm sure I read something a few years back where he said the idea was to not only nurture talent and sell on for a profit but also buy players with an eye to potential sell-on values down the line. Whilst as a fan I'd love the club to be a bit more ambitious in the transfer market, I can't deny with the results we've seen over the last couple of years.

20 hours ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

What did you make of Doherty today? Twitter was not complimentary 

Like most of the team, did little of note. He wasn't poor, nor did he particularly excel, just sort of got carried along with the match.

Neither fullback got forward much, which left Connolly and O'Dowda with limited options on the flanks. Better in the second half, for a while.

• Upvote 1
15 minutes ago, Plissken said:

Phil Foden and Mason Greenwood sent home after inviting women to their room in the Rekjavik hotel, breaking COVID regulations.

How stupid do you have to be to break the bubble whilst still in the bubble? They will have had it drummed into them lots since meeting up with the team about protocol and stuff and yet here we are. Good of Southgate to not excuse them because they are young, because frankly they've been idiots.

• Upvote 1

Foden has a partner and child, too.

Not that I disagree with Southgates actions, but I assume that breaking the bubble means the player has to be assumed to need quarantining again?  So sending them packing is the only option?

I've been catching up on the Spurs All or Nothing on Amazon, its much better than the City one as the access seems far better.

Only watched first 3 and its clearly the Jose show so far, I know he's playing the cameras but he comes across so well with people in the club, you can see how players in the past have been willing to run thru walls for him.

I know its more the modern way but surprised at what a low key introverted bunch the Spurs players seem so far, not seen the whole squad yet but they are so quiet and polite - apart of course from Harry Kane all fired up to do some big swears in his rousing team talks.

9 hours ago, Naysonymous said:

Haaland, managing to look like Brienne of Tarth in the thumbnail, has absolutely torn Northern Ireland to shreds tonight.  Worth watching the highlights just for his volley.  

sure we've done this before but its an old favourite worthy of digging up - is that a volley ?

I always think of a volley as hitting a ball coming out of the air without a bounce from the passer, a half volley is hitting that same pass at the exact point it contacts the ground.

Haaland is just hitting a bouncing ball there, nice goal but not a volley.

• Upvote 4
18 minutes ago, Gotters said:

sure we've done this before but its an old favourite worthy of digging up - is that a volley ?

I always think of a volley as hitting a ball coming out of the air without a bounce from the passer, a half volley is hitting that same pass at the exact point it contacts the ground.

Haaland is just hitting a bouncing ball there, nice goal but not a volley.

Yeah, volley is a hit from another player's touch before it hits the ground.

Half volley is a hit right after a ball bounces, whilst it's rising.

• Upvote 2