Football Thread 2020/2021

You get all excited by the prospect of some positive football being played, and then you're grateful for the injury time equaliser courtesy of the traditional set piece.

I think the draw is fair, but bordering on unlucky for Bulgaria. For all Ireland's possession, Bulgaria were rarely threatened but were incisive enough themselves, taking advantage of the sloppy defence to get their goal, and having a couple of other half chances after that while Ireland very rarely touched the ball in their penalty area. Then when the game seems over, a defender lets Brady get too close, he blocks the clearance, wins the corner and then delivers it perfectly for Duffy to head in.

I'm hoping much of the issues are down to the lack of recent competitive football for much of the squad, rather than a lack of creative ability to draw upon. There were a lot of sloppy penultimate passes going on, bad touches, few occasions where people were given a bit of space and time to play the final ball, and a lot of knocking it back to Randolph as another attack is smothered in white shirts.

Roll on Sunday, Finland, and the roaring, er, paintwork at the Aviva.

15 hours ago, feltmonkey said:

What's up with the lack of left-backs in the England squad?  Who's actually been picked to play there?

It'll surely be Mings as he's left footed and played that position for a long time.

14 hours ago, Gotters said:

Another big blow to the Premier League collective finances with the Chinese rights deal being torn up, this is going to hit the bottom line for every club with less to go round.

Did like the insider expert on the Athletic piece who said the joke in China is that it's only once you've signed the contract the negotiations start.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/sep/03/premier-league-cancels-564m-chinese-tv-contract-in-blow-to-clubs-finances

On 01/09/2020 at 20:03, DirkCrisis said:

Shane Duffy to Celtic and Glenn Murray to Watford. Sad to see them both go but I get that they both wanted more first team minutes.

Bit weird that Watford didn't try for someone like Rhian Brewster though.

I think Watford are going to bet hard on some of our unpolished gems who have been out on the loan circuit - Luis Suarez (not that one), Estupinan, João Pedro, Penaranda etc. Hopefully this season will be the making of them.

Plus it sounds like we are fairly determined to hold on to Sarr, and Deloufeu probably won't leave until at least January as he's still injured. Murray will score for us next season no doubt, we need defenders most urgently of all. 

• Upvote 1

Guttered we are playing Watford first! Whilst you still have the bulk of your team. Please sell more players and quickly.

Will be an interesting match up though with a manager new to the championship taking on a manager who has been around since before records began.

16 hours ago, skadupuk said:

Palace have royally fucked up the season ticket options for next year (even more galling given so many other teams have put together fair/reasonable options):

1. Buy your ticket and pay in full up front for the season (excluding first 2 games where there are 100% no fans). Games will be assigned by ballot whilst capacity remains below the total number of ST holders. Receive a pro-rata refund for every game you don't get to at the END OF THE SEASON.

2. If you are shielding (even though, officially it's not required/a thing now), pay £200 (£100 junior) to save your seat for next year, but you have to supply medical evidence to the box office of your shielding requirement.

3. Give up your seat.

Oh, and you've got 11 days to decide or that's it, your ticket is gone.

You can create bubbles to sit with the people who you want to, but only if everyone's season ticket is bought in the same transaction (and it's a right fucker to setup on the online account).

I have no idea how it ever got signed off, I can only assume a Brighton fan infiltrated the Sales and Marketing department.

The less said about sending some random person in the box office confidential medical information the better!

This is what Cardiff did a few weeks back except we weren't offered any sort of refund for games you can't go to - just a stream. They also had the save you seat option.

Currently - as you can stream every home game for £10 as well as mid week away games - its cheaper to do that than buy the cheaper season tickets (where you would get to stream them all for free) based on not being able to see any games. If you have a household with multiple season ticket holders (so only need 1 stream) then you are going to be worse off even if you can go to half the games.

They've sort of mumbled about maybe giving a partial refund if things change, but given at the moment any change would be to let people in from the default of not letting anyone in then I'm not sure how that works for at least the next couple of months.

Amazingly Arsenal haven't been money grabbing at all about season tickets - you can take a full no money down season ticket holiday initially or put a down payment towards tickets you'll go into a ballot for.

Its a balancing act for clubs - they need income and have a captive audience that can't go anywhere else, but some of that audience may find that now the habit of attending game week in week out is broken they are in two minds about going back and being treated badly by the clubs could be what tips them to stay watching on the telly when things go back to normal.

On a related note, I wonder if there will be a push by certain clubs to manage their own broadcast rights in the coming years.

With matchday revenues taking a prolonged hit, and Suning in China cancelling their contract, can see several clubs who would expect to earn more via individual rights distribution than the existing collective model.

Obviously would be a seismic shift and potentially disastrous for other clubs and broadcasters, but would be surprised if certain boards hadn’t at least discussed the possibility.

• Upvote 1

the last time that debate came up didn't they head it off by coming up with a method of dividing the domestic rights more equitably (but still in a way that sees the biggest most successful teams get more of the pie) and a different method for the overseas rights, on the basis that the big foreign TV money was to watch Man Utd & Liverpool etc, not Wigan, Norwich etc.

Guardian are reporting extracts of Messi's agent's (his dad) letter to the league.

As clause 8.2.3.6 of the contract signed between the club and the player explicitly says: “This indemnity will not apply when the player’s decision to unilaterally rescind the contract is effective from the end of the 2019-2020 season.” [Signed] Jorge H. Messi.”

If the above is accurate is there any way Barcelona or La Liga can continue to argue against Messi leaving on a free?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/sep/04/lionel-messis-father-la-liga-has-made-clear-error-over-700m-buyout-clause

all previous mentions of the contract state his right to walk away for free expired in June, which his team are claiming meant the end of the season really so he can walk now if he wants as Covid extended the season past June.

Messi Snr may be being economical with the truth and cute with the wording there.

1 hour ago, Gotters said:

the last time that debate came up didn't they head it off by coming up with a method of dividing the domestic rights more equitably (but still in a way that sees the biggest most successful teams get more of the pie) and a different method for the overseas rights, on the basis that the big foreign TV money was to watch Man Utd & Liverpool etc, not Wigan, Norwich etc.

True. Can see it being revisited if the global market trends downwards. Potentially clubs could leverage domestic rights being collective to attain independent overseas rights in certain territories (and spike VPN sales in the UK...)

Yeah, if that date is in there, written down, I don't think he can win. 

Leeds actually have a similar case for not paying for Jean Kevin Augustin, we were supposed to sign him permanently if we went up but we hadn't gone up by 31st July or whenever the season was due to officially end. 

It's all going to come down to the wording off the contract which should make it clear cut really. 

43 minutes ago, Mike1812 said:

Yeah, if that date is in there, written down, I don't think he can win. 

Leeds actually have a similar case for not paying for Jean Kevin Augustin, we were supposed to sign him permanently if we went up but we hadn't gone up by 31st July or whenever the season was due to officially end. 

It's all going to come down to the wording off the contract which should make it clear cut really. 

article on the athletic this week examining Messi’s legal team claims by a couple of Spanish lawyers - legally they didn’t give him much of a case Under Spanish law

1 hour ago, Gotters said:

article on the athletic this week examining Messi’s legal team claims by a couple of Spanish lawyers - legally they didn’t give him much of a case Under Spanish law

Yeah, someone posted the text of this in this thread, here.  EDIT: Oh, sorry, that's the text about Jorge, his father.  Do you have a link to that article?

26 minutes ago, JohnC said:

He's staying. He said he would never go to court against them. I can't confirm if he said "when I'd lose" under his breath.

Yep, I said it right at the beginning, and now he's realised that shit the game is up and he can't leave, so he's staying.

Could I ask a favour of people in here please. I'm hosting this weeks Podcast recording that we're doing on Sunday and we're gonna be talking football ahead of the new Premier League season. We're asking for a little feedback from people on the questions in the tweet please. Would be great to get some replys on there (or you can DM me here to avoid twitters character limit) as it just adds to more talking points for the show. If you're so inclined too, please give it a listen when its out next Thursday. Thank you.

• Upvote 2
10 hours ago, Steely said:

Guttered we are playing Watford first! Whilst you still have the bulk of your team. Please sell more players and quickly.

Will be an interesting match up though with a manager new to the championship taking on a manager who has been around since before records began.

Assombalonga will definitely score against us. Came through the youth ranks but we were so skint we had to sell him before giving him half a chance.

Anyway appreciate this is a bit low-rent now we aren't a PL team but Heurelho Gomes' retirement interview is so heart-warming. He is legit one of the nicest guys in football, had a tear in my eye by the end. Such a shame the fans couldn't give him a proper send off.

On 03/09/2020 at 12:53, Pants McSkill said:

What the fuck is that? A formation England don't play, our best player in a position he's never played, Dier hasn't played midfield in over a year (he's been selected as a defender and has stated multiple times he's a defender) and you've put the best right back in the world on the left.

This looks like a Football Manager save where you accidentally press the 'Let Assistant Pick Team' button.

I just picked a back four. I didn't really care if they were in the correct positions. I picked Dier as he's a half decent holding midfielder and we don't really have anyone else for that job. A formation I'd play - it's choose your own team. 

Stroppy shit.

I'm streaming the Plymouth Argyle vs QPR league cup in half an hour. We've invested in a multi camera set up this season but the EFL are only allowing one camera for no apparent reason. I popped up to the ground earlier to drop off some print work for the game - some passes people need to wear so they know which areas they are allowed to enter. I was impressed with all the signage up (even if I didn't print most of it - just the door signs). As I was walking in, the manager was coming in - surprised to see him there at 9am but well impressed. I'm too old to get a selfie with him and it's a bit embarrassing to ask so I just said hello and wished him good luck.

Come on you Greens - great to have football back.