The General PC Gaming Thread

2 demos I tried out today that are worth a play:

Hammerting:

Oxygen not included meets craft the world, meets dwarf fortress. Still in early access and still fairly rough around the edges but I can't get enough of it. The demo allows an hour of play from the start of each game. Early access released within the next week I believe.

Ring of pain:

Heavily influenced by slat the spire with a few notable and worthy differences. The demo is relatively short but very, very complete. Out already and it has gone on my wishlist hopefully for a sale.

I'm not sure this thread is the right one for this but here goes...

I've got a pretty decent gaming PC. It's an Intel i9-9900K CPU, 32GB RAM, RTX 2080 Super and all M.2 SSD storage, hooked up to a 4K screen. It can handle itself with the latest games is what I'm saying. And yet I'm having a weird issue with 2015's The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.

What's weird is I have all the graphics at their absolute highest level, I've got the HD texture mod installed, all playing at 4K native resolution and it runs like a dream: usually in the 55 - 75 FPS range. And it runs silky smooth and lovely. Until I pause it, or go into the inventory, or map, or play Gwent, or do anything that shouldn't stress my PC. In these 2D screens, the CPU on my PC goes mental. Usually, when running around, doing quests, fighting monsters, all that stuff, my CPU sits at around 55-65 degrees C. But in the 2D screens, it'll hit 85 degrees and sometimes even touch 100. The fans go mental. I'm genuinely afraid to leave the game paused for any length of time.

I will say I probably need to replace the CPU cooler in my system at some point. It's a Corsair H115i all-in-one cooler, but it's about 4 years old now so probably is getting on a bit in age for an AIO.

Anyway, has anyone else seen anything like that in this game? I tried Googling for it, but all I can find is people complaining their PC gets hot in Novigrad, or when there's lots of NPCs on screen and things you'd expect - although my PC sails through all that blissfully. It's the pause menu and the maps and Gwent that sends it crazy. I'm starting to wonder if CD Projekt Red has smuggled in a bitcoin miner or something that just runs in the non-stressful parts of the game.

I haven't played The Witcher 3 personally, but it sounds very similar to when I run something that has very low GPU requirements with an uncapped frame rate (like Path of Exile) - basically, if the GPU's not taxed, the CPU will attempt to generate as many frames as possible and will make the fans go into jet engine mode.

The most basic solution would be to cap the framerate - either via v-sync, or through nvidia's software profile for the game (if the options screen doesn't have such a thing). cap it to where you feel comfortable or your monitor's max refresh rate, and call it a day.

3 hours ago, BeeJay said:

Ring of pain

Yah, I played that a while back and enjoyed it but after release I read one steam review that said there was a huge difficulty spike around halfway through where baddies could one shot you and it became very RNG based.

I know I should just play it for myself, I'd probably get my monies worth of fun regardless, but it doesn't take much to put me off buying something when I'm a bit on the fence like that and I have too many games to be getting on with as it is. I took it off my wishlist, I just had the feeling like it'd be one of those games that didn't hold my attention for long. Trying not to buy too many of those.

24 minutes ago, Siri said:

I haven't played The Witcher 3 personally, but it sounds very similar to when I run something that has very low GPU requirements with an uncapped frame rate (like Path of Exile) - basically, if the GPU's not taxed, the CPU will attempt to generate as many frames as possible and will make the fans go into jet engine mode.

The most basic solution would be to cap the framerate - either via v-sync, or through nvidia's software profile for the game (if the options screen doesn't have such a thing). cap it to where you feel comfortable or your monitor's max refresh rate, and call it a day.

That makes a lot of sense actually - I can see the frame rate hits around 280 FPS in those screens. I'll give that a go, thanks!

33 minutes ago, Lying Cat said:

Hammerting looks great. Ever since I played Diggers on the CD32 I've lusted after games where you can dig holes in the ground.

For whatever reason, I'm a sucker for side on 2d games featuring dwarfs and mining. Maybe I watched too much fraggle rock and always imagined what mining community would look like. There was also that amazing Xbox live arcade mining game which I loved.

7 minutes ago, Gabe said:

I've got it on my wishlist, @davejm, didn't realise there was a demo. Is it hard? I like my games fairly sedate these days.

Me too, and I found it fairly easy on the default medium difficulty. 

The enemies in the demo (even the bosses) you can dodge really easily and you can just swipe their health down.  No bother.  

On 22/10/2020 at 22:26, Siri said:

It's kind of the opposite problem really. The menu screen is less complex so can be rendered more easily and so you can fully utilise the GFX card and get all the frames which results in it doing more work. It's a perfect example of what Mark Cerny talked about with the PS5, simple to render scenes can actually pull more power than complex to render scenes which don't utilise the hardware 100% at all times.

I always cap at 60Hz, anything above that is just a waste of power really and I don't play online e-Sports games that benefit from the reduced input latency.

On 22/10/2020 at 22:51, Zio said:

That makes a lot of sense actually - I can see the frame rate hits around 280 FPS in those screens. I'll give that a go, thanks!

You might want to look into some software called Special K, it has the best frame limiter in terms of absolute frametime consistency:

https://discourse.differentk.fyi/

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Special_K

I actually found that whilst The Witcher 3 only allows for either a 30 or 60 FPS frame cap by default, it just needs a very simple change to a config file to get it to cap to your monitor’s refresh rate. I gave this a try and it’s absolutely worked a treat, so thank you for the advice @Siri!

4 hours ago, mushashi said:

It's kind of the opposite problem really. The menu screen is less complex so can be rendered more easily and so you can fully utilise the GFX card and get all the frames which results in it doing more work. It's a perfect example of what Mark Cerny talked about with the PS5, simple to render scenes can actually pull more power than complex to render scenes which don't utilise the hardware 100% at all times.

I can see that, thanks for the information! I guess with my experience on Path of Exile, the framerate limit must hit some sort of engine cap - the GPU didn't really tap out, but the CPU's cooler was absolutely screaming by default until I realised I should have turned on V-Sync at the time!

Glad to be of help, @Zio!

Anyway, games, to bring it back to topic. Anyone played Caves of Qud yet? I had it recommended to me by a very respectable gentleman on the internet (this is a lie and very likely NSFW), and I'm highly interested in an RPG experience that is basically a horrific bastard child of Dwarf Fortress and Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead. I should probably play Cataclysm first, because that particular roguelike is also free and recommended to me by a very respectable gentleman on the internet (seriously, why are you even thinking about clicking this).

On 30/10/2020 at 17:18, Gabe said:

I'm waiting for you to take a punt first ;)

I've held off from buying, for now.  I realised I had Gujian 3 in my library, so I figure it's best to play this (and some other games) that I've already bought and not played rather than wasting more money :D

Hi, I have a Microsoft Xbox Wireless Adapter to connect my Xbox One Controller to my WIn10 PC. I'd like to buy a second controller. Does EVERY Xbox One Controller work on PC with the adapter?

1 hour ago, alex3d said:

Hi, I have a Microsoft Xbox Wireless Adapter to connect my Xbox One Controller to my WIn10 PC. I'd like to buy a second controller. Does EVERY Xbox One Controller work on PC with the adapter?

I think it supports up to eight devices (controllers, compatible headsets, etc)

7 minutes ago, spanx said:

I think it supports up to eight devices (controllers, compatible headsets, etc)

It think he means do the new Series controllers work. As far as I know the One and Series controllers are compatible, but the 360 ones aren't.