The funniest moment in The Simpsons history

The funniest moment in The Simpsons history happens in the episode Homer Badman. However it’s impossible to say which moment it is because there are so many brilliantly funny moments in that episode. But it’s definitely one of them.

• Upvote 3
8 minutes ago, Mars said:

The bit with the ambulance absolutely creases me.

So perfect it's an immediate crash and that it's a tree, the stretcher rolling past 3 children who turn their heads right then all the way left in shock, the blood satchel hanging behind, the use of the same shot of the kids on the cliff edge looking below and Homer wailing, it's probably the one bit that's caused the most pain to people laughing.

I love Hurricane Neddy, pretty much every line of his meltdown and how he addresses every person is perfect.

Bart's 'I am shocked and appalled', his hands on his chest. Moe the 'ugly hate filled man'. 'Hey I may be ugly and hate filled but I...um..what was the third thing you said?'

• Upvote 6
22 minutes ago, Darren said:

The funniest moment in The Simpsons history happens in the episode Homer Badman. However it’s impossible to say which moment it is because there are so many brilliantly funny moments in that episode. But it’s definitely one of them.

My favourite bit might be when the tv host pretends Homer is aggressively approaching him, then he rapidly slips out 'events may not have occurred', or possibly the traumatized woman who has never met Homer.

• Upvote 6

One of the most overlooked moments of genius in The Simpsons were Principal Skinner's Vietnam flashbacks, the clench of his seat, the lean forward, especially the lighting, the searing language, the jubilant 'so!' return to normality, incredible.

• Upvote 6
53 minutes ago, Loik V credern said:

My favourite bit might be when the tv host pretends Homer is aggressively approaching him, then he rapidly slips out 'events may not have occurred', or possibly the traumatized woman who has never met Homer.

Isn't this kinda indicative of modern society?

What a great fucking show it was. There's nothing really like it now. It was light hearted and whimsical and also hilarious. 

What a shame what they've done to it. It would be the greatest show of all time if they had wrapped it up sometime around 1999. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Raoull duke said:

What a great fucking show it was. There's nothing really like it now. It was light hearted and whimsical and also hilarious. 

What a shame what they've done to it. It would be the greatest show of all time if they had wrapped it up sometime around 1999.

I've been re watching all episodes of the first 10 seasons. I only ever watched on bbc 2 and channel 4 at 6pm, i never considered that i might have missed a few, weirder to see i haven't, i remember them all. The Principal and the Pauper was its turning point but that season has a number i really like. I think season 11 is where i stopped watching, i remember seeing Bart the Mother on bbc a few times and not seeing it as different as the earlier stuff. Or the one where Homer gives his dad a kidney, they were season 10. Another is where Homer does outsider art, that to me was still quintessential Simpsons. I love the Tokyo episode as well. I've been looking for the best episodes of the later seasons, it's kind of weird still, it only has to be a little off like uncanny valley to upset the rhythm.

Principal Skinner is probably my favourite character, i've just thought of two more moments that are my favs. edit: 3

• Upvote 1
58 minutes ago, cubik said:

You're all wrong. It's this:

Homer putting on a weird voice when he talks to the postal worker cracks me up every time

I had difficulty between that and what I plumped for, along with a couple of moments from Last Exit to Springfield. The Simpsons was near perfect for a good while, before it all turned to shit.

• Upvote 1

Unfortunately a good quality clip of my favourite Simpsons moment isn't to be found on YouTube. It's when the real Seymour Skinner returns to Springfield and introduces himself to Bart's class. Superintendent Chalmers introduces him and says "Remember, you have to respect him... he's a war hero", which leads to the best-timed Nelson Muntz laugh ever.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Mars said:

The bit with the ambulance absolutely creases me. 

This is definitely up there :D

Honourable mention below. The absurdity of the distraction - and the booty-wiggle - gets me:

• Upvote 2

"Works on commission? No, money down!" and "I have to go now, my planet needs me" and the immortal "steamed hams", were some of the funniest bits in the series on first viewing, before they were memed into oblivion. (And I say that as someone who recently bumped the steamed hams thread.)

This is my nomination. Kind of a similar scene to the one in the first post, with Marge and Homer worried about their kids:

Also this thread needs more law-talkin' guy:

Also acceptable:

So good, it got its own oral history on Vulture:

https://www.vulture.com/2017/07/the-simpsons-planet-of-the-apes-musical-oral-history-zauis.html

• Upvote 1