IGNORED

Apollo 10 ½: A Space Age Childhood

JohnC

Apollo 10 ½: A Space Age Adventure, a new Rickard Linklater animated movie. Hand drawn and CG animation. There was also a live-action shoot, but it's not entirely clear from the article if that's just for rotoscoping purposes. It's inspired by his own childhood in Houston. Stars Jack Black, Zachary Levi, Glen Powell, Josh Wiggins, Milo Coy, Lee Eddy, Bill Wise, Natalie L’Amoreaux, Jessica Brynn Cohen, Sam Chipman, and Danielle Guilbot.

Apollo 10 ½: A Space Age Adventure is told from two interwoven perspectives, capturing the astronaut and mission control view of the triumphant moment, and the lesser-seen bottom up perspective of what it was like from an excited kid’s perspective, living near NASA but mostly watching it on TV like hundreds of millions of others.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This was a bit different than I expected. Not really a narrative about a boy going to the moon, but more a massive nostalgia trip about growing up in that period. Weirdly, his 60s childhood doesn't come across all that different from my 80s childhood. Like all the TV shows and stuff were still a fixture in my day, though repeats obviously.

Now I'm off to see if there's a soundtrack with all those songs used.