Neon Abyss | "Run and Gungeon"

With these kinds of games, you shouldn't feel too bad about finding it hard early on. You've got to build up the knowledge about enemy types, approaches to fighting different types, boss patterns, items, where to spend your resources, etc, etc. By all means, stick it down to easy, because you'll still be learning those things.

The most valuable thing you can gain in a roguelike/roguelite is knowledge.

I'm liking this. Only just started, haven't defeated the first manager yet, have a lot to learn.

I got softlocked on one run; there was a fruit machine blocking off a chest, but on the other side of the chest was a high wall, too high to jump over, but with a crate on the other side of it. I used the crate to get over the high wall and opened the chest, but then I was stuck. Didn't have enough coins to open the fruit machine door and didn't have the ability to fly over the high wall. Had to abandon the run and go back to the bar. Fortunately it was only the first level, so it was no problem, but if I was deep into a run and that happened it would have been annoying.

One thing I don't understand yet is the purple things which you can use one gem on to make them disappear. Or if you shoot them they turn into red spiky things which hurt you and disappear if you touch them. You don't appear to get any items for it either way. Is there some point to these which I haven't discovered yet, or are they simply obstacles which you can spend a gem to get rid of, or risk them turning into the spiky things that hurt you?

Can anyone confirm whether or not the full Switch version has the same annoying delayed enemy spawning as the demo? It's really jarring to start running through a room only to have the enemies appear/spawn-in a noticeable moment or two later.

Just now, bobontheway said:

Can anyone confirm whether or not the full Switch version has the same annoying delayed enemy spawning as the demo? It's really jarring to start running through a room only to have the enemies appear/spawn-in a noticeable moment or two later.

Yes, I'm playing on switch and the enemies only spawn once you run fully into the room. If you transition into a new screen and don't move, they don't spawn. You have to actually take a couple of steps in. I don't know if this is a bug or a feature.

11 minutes ago, dug said:

I'm liking this. Only just started, haven't defeated the first manager yet, have a lot to learn.

I got softlocked on one run; there was a fruit machine blocking off a chest, but on the other side of the chest was a high wall, too high to jump over, but with a crate on the other side of it. I used the crate to get over the high wall and opened the chest, but then I was stuck. Didn't have enough coins to open the fruit machine door and didn't have the ability to fly over the high wall. Had to abandon the run and go back to the bar. Fortunately it was only the first level, so it was no problem, but if I was deep into a run and that happened it would have been annoying.

One thing I don't understand yet is the purple things which you can use one gem on to make them disappear. Or if you shoot them they turn into red spiky things which hurt you and disappear if you touch them. You don't appear to get any items for it either way. Is there some point to these which I haven't discovered yet, or are they simply obstacles which you can spend a gem to get rid of, or risk them turning into the spiky things that hurt you?

Are you sure you couldn't have dropped through the bottom to get out from behind the fruit machine door?

As for the purple things, if you don't want the full information, look at the purple/red bar in the bottom-right corner when you activate them.

For more detail:

Spoiler

Activating purple will increase your wisdom meter (along with completing rooms without taking damage).  Activating red will increase your violence (along with taking damage in fights).  Filling up either meter will allow you to teleport to a secret room and grab an item.

9 minutes ago, bobontheway said:

I think it's designed that way, annoyingly.  Enemies will usually only spawn when you walk a certain distance into the room.  One of my main bugbears with the game.

3 minutes ago, donpeartree said:

Are you sure you couldn't have dropped through the bottom to get out from behind the fruit machine door?

As for the purple things, if you don't want the full information, look at the purple/red bar in the bottom-right corner when you activate them.

For more detail:

Hide contents

Activating purple will increase your wisdom meter (along with completing rooms without taking damage).  Activating red will increase your violence (along with taking damage in fights).  Filling up either meter will allow you to teleport to a secret room and grab an item.

Ah, that's what they're for. Ok, thanks.

No, I couldn't drop through the floor, it was a thick, stone floor. Thinking about it, I realise there was a crate on the chest side of the wall, but I stupidly destroyed it as soon as I landed next to it. So the game did provide me with a way to get out, but I destroyed it. My own fault then, but it still left me softlocked.

Update: I killed that twat Argus yesterday! I had a gun that had a chance of dropping shields when I got hit, which proved very useful!

New runs seem a bit harder from the start now... is this just me projecting?

12 hours ago, donpeartree said:

Reveal hidden contents

:facepalm:

I just had exactly the same room. Yes, I could have dropped through the floor. 

:facepalm:

:lol:

Just defeated the first manager. Then when I touched the glowy thing it crashed. :angry:

Definitely some jank to be ironed out on the switch version.

Thankfully when I reloaded into the bar, it had registered that I killed it, and I kept all my upgrade gem things, so not too bad. What did I miss though? What happens when you touch the blue glowy thing? More levels?

4 minutes ago, dug said:

Just defeated the first manager. Then when I touched the glowy thing it crashed. :angry:

Definitely some jank to be ironed out on the switch version.

Thankfully when I reloaded into the bar, it had registered that I killed it, and I kept all my upgrade gem things, so not too bad. What did I miss though? What happens when you touch the blue glowy thing? More levels?

Yeah there's more levels to get to the second manager.

I massively fluked the second manager first go. :)

I think I may have to tap out soon, though, because the runs are getting a bit too long with the extra levels added on after defeating each manager. I always feel like I have to do all the rooms on a floor and get as many items as possible in order to make the later levels doable, so my run to Manager 2 took nearly 90 minutes. As there are now (I think) yet more levels to get to Manager 3, I feel the gametime for a single run is getting too long for a roguelike. Would be great if we could save mid-run to negate this problem.

I never understood why more Roguelikes and lites don't have support for mid run saves. Just make it a save and quit rather than a save and continue. Even Nethack can do that.

1 hour ago, Eighthours said:

I think I may have to tap out soon, though, because the runs are getting a bit too long with the extra levels added on after defeating each manager...Would be great if we could save mid-run to negate this problem.

I'm feeling similarly. Looking forward to the upcoming patch to see how it rebalances things. I just had a run up to the third manager (for the first time) where I was massively OP from an early stage and it was really really good fun. Good boss fight but I unfortunately died with him at about 10% health. Checked my phone. I'd been playing for almost eighty minutes. At that length, it's tough to stimulate the 'one more run' feeling. I could knock off Delirium/Mega Satan in half that. 

Still having a great time with it, though. I could do with some weirder weaponry and surprising synergies rather than 'variable = damage/bullet speed' but I've got a taste for the fundamentals and the risk/reward systems. Unlocking more secret rooms and trade booths is also adding extra elements, though maybe there's a bit too much of a drip feed on that side. 

20 minutes ago, Stanshall said:

I'm feeling similarly. Looking forward to the upcoming patch to see how it rebalances things. I just had a run up to the third manager (for the first time) where I was massively OP from an early stage and it was really really good fun. Good boss fight but I unfortunately died with him at about 10% health. Checked my phone. I'd been playing for almost eighty minutes. At that length, it's tough to stimulate the 'one more run' feeling. I could knock off Delirium/Mega Satan in half that. 

Still having a great time with it, though. I could do with some weirder weaponry and surprising synergies rather than 'variable = damage/bullet speed' but I've got a taste for the fundamentals and the risk/reward systems. Unlocking more secret rooms and trade booths is also adding extra elements, though maybe there's a bit too much of a drip feed on that side. 

I didn't get on much with The Binding of Isaac when it first came out, but I'm really enjoying the combination of pets in Neon Abyss and how they impact on things, so I'm wondering whether I might like TBOI more if I played it again, as the impacts on systems are much more OTT there. I might buy it on Switch the next time it's on sale. 

So many elements of this seem to be nicked wholesale from Isaac: keys, bombs and coins as consumables; guaranteeing an item room and shop on each floor; secret rooms which must be bombed to get into; path of violence/wisdom as equivalents to angel/devil deals; little helpers that follow you around with names in the format "X baby". I don't know yet, but I'm willing to bet there's a secret, super hard boss if you reach a certain point in the game within a particular time limit.

But having said that, I don't have a lot of experience with the roguelite genre. In fact, Isaac is the only one I've played extensively. Perhaps all these points are common genre tropes and were not innovated by Isaac at all. 

If it is a shameless rip off, however, I'm fine with that, as I loved Isaac. And this is shaping up pretty well too. 

I found a bug! I was on level 6 I think, maybe 7, absolutely OP. I had loads of items and pets; 19 (I think) pets and eggs following me around. I was firing a spread of five massive shots, each of which would split into five smaller shots going in an outward spread, if you get what I mean. I also had rapid fire so if I held the right stick, the screen would quickly become a mass of sprites flying in all directions, and the switch would struggle. Even in a room with no enemies it would stutter a bit. In rooms with enemies the frame rate would drop to 2 or 3 a second at times. 

I got to the boss, Charlie, God of Pills, and started firing. It was atrocious. Proper slideshow. But it was like the action was actually carrying on at full speed, it was just the display that couldn't keep up. I was taking loads of hits because I basically couldn't see what was going on. I stopped firing to let things settle down, and Charlie was gone! The boss music was still playing, and his half full life bar was still on the screen, but Charlie was nowhere to be seen. It was like he'd gone out of bounds and couldn't get back in. I ran around for a good couple of minutes, jumping at the walls and shooting, but no luck. I truly was soft locked this time.

Annoying, because I was so OP I reckon I would have been able to beat the fourth manager, which is where I'm up to now. Hopefully the patch won't be too long.

Three annoying runs in a row:
1 - teleported to the secret room and the screen went black. The game was still playing - I could hear myself running around, but it wouldn't even show the pause menu.

2 - crashed out as it was loading a level - no progress saved.

3 - picked up a 'random chance to fire a rocket' pickup and destroyed myself in a boss fight.

I hope the Switch gets a patch soon! Gungeon had a lot of stability issues when it first came out too.

Well, I've defeated all the managers. Is there anything else to aim for, other than unlocking the rest of the stuff on the unlock screen?

There’s been a new update for this on the Nintendo Switch (1.0.2) and had a few goes to try to replicate bombing the framerate to single figures with the usual bosses:

Spoiler

Tik/ Tok, Kimmy/ Timmy, Zeus, HAL, Athena

And so far it’s actually been comparatively  steady and the framerate hasn’t properly died. I can’t say for certain that the patch has eliminated issues as it still needs work done. But I need to get a particular weapon on my run (Reaper) and upgrade it, as for me that gives the game the most trouble.

Though still getting the same black screen bug, crashing at the end of the game on the odd occasion.

On 25/07/2020 at 21:05, viewtiful jim said:

Though still getting the same black screen bug, crashing at the end of the game on the odd occasion.

I filed a bug report. They responded, which was nice, though Not sure they've nailed the cause - I'm pretty sure I didn't pause the game during teleport (do you remember doing this?)
Hopefully patched in the next update... I had two in a row and ditched the game until it's fixed =)

neonabyss.PNG

I'm out til the patch goes live.  I've had three recent games that were going pretty well, all ending in a black screen after teleporting.  My interest in this game has gone from hot to cold more quickly than any other game I can remember.

Edit: this is on ps4

I started on this last night on the Xbox. It's fun, but I noticed some pretty serious hitching at the most random times, which made me take hits quite a few times.

Other than that I enjoyed it a lot.

34 minutes ago, ilpostino said:

I started on this last night on the Xbox. It's fun, but I noticed some pretty serious hitching at the most random times, which made me take hits quite a few times.

Other than that I enjoyed it a lot.

Yeah the hitching  is annoying and often lethal. I mean to move it to the internal drive to see if that helps but I have a suspicion it won't.

3 hours ago, Skykid said:

I filed a bug report. They responded, which was nice, though Not sure they've nailed the cause - I'm pretty sure I didn't pause the game during teleport (do you remember doing this?)
Hopefully patched in the next update... I had two in a row and ditched the game until it's fixed =)

neonabyss.PNG

I didn’t pause it during teleport. 
However, what’s weird about this glitch is that it makes the teleport sound then the screen goes black, though it doesn’t actually teleport you. Just hold left or right and hopefully navigate yourself off screen to the next screen and the screen may come back, though you can’t use the teleport option from now on and that your character will be invisible.

One has another glitch which will give another black screen (but can still hear sounds)  if you go to a treasure room or room that should have items in it, but you find nothing, sooner or later once you either teleport or go through the portal when defeating the boss the screen will go black. I had this particular one four times in a row and about 30-40 minutes in on each run. Not a happy Jim.

I'm somewhat done with the Switch version until another patch comes out which eliminates these glitches and improves the framerate.

It’s frustrating having runs ruined by this.

Conversely the PS4 version has been running fine. Other than frame rate dips/ screen hitching, I’ve not had as much trouble with glitches.

39 minutes ago, viewtiful jim said:

However, what’s weird about this glitch is that it makes the teleport sound then the screen goes black, though it doesn’t actually teleport you. Just hold left or right and hopefully navigate yourself off screen to the next screen and the screen may come back, though you can’t use the teleport option from now on and that your character will be invisible.

Ah, I didn't realise that. I'd assumed it had taken you to the new location and I've been hunting around in the dark for the spot where I know the teleporter is - that would explain why I never found it!

You seem to have some good texture there, so if you feel like filing a report, the form's here: https://www.team17.com/support/
It might help them get the fixes in by the next patch, and certainly made me feel better to do so =D

I’ll see what feedback I can give, not that I have hope it would come swiftly.

There is another interesting quirk involving Cole and his land mines. Since he is invincible to the explosion on his own mines, however once you pick up either skill ‘Popcorn‘ (all your shots have explosion radius) or ‘dangerous mines’ (jumping will let off a trip mines) then it makes Cokes own mines hurt him for that run.

Whether it’s a glitch, or whether Coles special skill was meant to deal damage to him in the first place is another quirk that needs to be addressed.