rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Doctor Shark

Does Kermit the Frog ever laugh?

Having a conversation with my wife and neither of us can remember ever seeing Kermit the Frog laugh. I seem to recall him doing a funny hissing laugh, kind of like "hek hek hek" but I can't find any videos or anything. 

This is what lockdown has done to us. 

• Upvote 1

He does, I can even hear it in my head.  I took a minute to look for a video as I though it would be easy.... erm... well lets say I didn't succeed within that minute.

On 10/07/2020 at 17:56, James Lyon said:

I do occasionally think of this when I think of Kermit. What a cover.

I love this so much. So earnest and wholesome. 

• Upvote 2

Didn’t I once see him laugh while wearing fangs?

I can understand that my wife doesn't love Lego or videogames.   These are things that I can rationalise away as part of  her gender-normative upbringing.  These were pastimes for boys in the less-enlightened time of our youth.

But she doesn't love The Muppets and this has been cause for genuine concern to me at times.   I watch almost everything that has been done under The Muppets banner and I am transported back to childhood.  I'm filled with innocence and glee and a smile spreads itself across my face.   My wife remains stonefaced.   She is genuinely loving, generous, kind and funny but for whatever reason these wonderful puppets mean nothing to her and do not penetrate her heart.

How can I help her?

On 15/07/2020 at 07:41, Doctor Shark said:

I don't know. Did you?

yeth

53 minutes ago, James Lyon said:

Was that a laugh? More of a nod.

maybe there’s a longer version with a laugh at the end?

21 hours ago, Don Wiskerando said:

I can understand that my wife doesn't love Lego or videogames.   These are things that I can rationalise away as part of  her gender-normative upbringing.  These were pastimes for boys in the less-enlightened time of our youth.

But she doesn't love The Muppets and this has been cause for genuine concern to me at times.   I watch almost everything that has been done under The Muppets banner and I am transported back to childhood.  I'm filled with innocence and glee and a smile spreads itself across my face.   My wife remains stonefaced.   She is genuinely loving, generous, kind and funny but for whatever reason these wonderful puppets mean nothing to her and do not penetrate her heart.

How can I help her?

Did you find this out before or after you married her? If you already knew beforehand then you'll just have to accept it waka waka waka

7 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Did you find this out before or after you married her? If you already knew beforehand then you'll just have to accept it waka waka waka

Before we got married she told me that she didn't like Labyrinth and while this was a shock it wasn't to overcome our shared love.    I had no idea, though, that her dislike applied to all of Jim Henson's creations.   I never asked.  Maybe I didn't want to know.

So I guess the general consensus seems to be we all think he possibly does but none of us can definitively prove it, which would indicate he does not, in fact, laugh. 

Miserable green shit.

The problem is that basically all Muppet movements blend together in your memory because their heads are either all the same shape or their mouths look the same. I thought I could vividly picture his hissy laugh thing, then realized I was thinking of Ernie from Sesame St. Then I figured it was the mouth hanging open laugh, but I think that was Fozzy bear, or a Fizzgig from the Dark Crystal.

Maybe it’s actually true, and he doesn’t laugh - or this is like the dogs can’t look up thing and it’s just a matter of perspective.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Darwock said:

The problem is that basically all Muppet movements blend together in your memory because their heads are either all the same shape or their mouths look the same. I thought I could vividly picture his hissy laugh thing, then realized I was thinking of Ernie from Sesame St. Then I figured it was the mouth hanging open laugh, but I think that was Fozzy bear, or a Fizzgig from the Dark Crystal.

Maybe it’s actually true, and he doesn’t laugh - or this is like the dogs can’t look up thing and it’s just a matter of perspective.

Ah yes, Ernie! It's because they're voiced by the same person, hence the confusion in my mind. 

35 minutes ago, Jimmyzilla said:

Doesn't Kermit do his crazy arm waving laugh?

He does two arm waving things: one when he's excited ("yaaaaaaaay!") and one where he's freaking out and shouting at people. 

No laugh. 

Speaking of Kermit.....HOLY SHIT, the new guy is fucking awful. That is NOT Kermit, its just some guy

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

I seen that, I thought the same. 

It's just the guy talking. Not even trying. 

I watched a trailer for the new Disney + Muppets show and immediately turned to my wife and said how bad Kermit sounded. Sounds like someone doing a half arsed impression. 

That’s f*@king awful. Henson did loads of the voices originally, and they always tried to maintain the character even with new actors - so what does the new Miss Piggy sound like?

37 minutes ago, Darwock said:

That’s f*@king awful. Henson did loads of the voices originally, and they always tried to maintain the character even with new actors - so what does the new Miss Piggy sound like?

She talks in that clip. Sounds fine from what I can tell.

Just watched the new Muppets show on Disney+ and bloody hell it's awful. It's about 75% Miss Piggy and apart from RuPaul I had no idea who any of the "celebrities" were. The guy playing Kermit sounds nothing at all like Kermit and it's just not funny at all at any point. Won't be going back for more.

SO what have the muppets ever done that was good? 

You had:

- the original show - a classic, but dated.

- a series of mostly terrible movies in the 70s and 80s.

- the gold that was Muppet's Christmas Carol and Muppet Treasure Island in the mid 90s

- terrible movies in the late 90s and early 00s.

- a pretty bad attempt to revitalise the show in the 90s/00s/

- the great Muppets film in 2011, the ok Muppets Most Wanted a couple of years later.

- the terrible mockumentary one

And now this new zoom lockdown thing they're doing on Disney +

I think other than a fondness for the Muppets themselves mixed with a bit of nostalgia, they're not actually very good, are they? :( 

• Empathy 1

15 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

SO what have the muppets ever done that was good? 

You had:

- the original show - a classic, but dated.

- a series of mostly terrible movies in the 70s and 80s.

- the gold that was Muppet's Christmas Carol and Muppet Treasure Island in the mid 90s

- terrible movies in the late 90s and early 00s.

- a pretty bad attempt to revitalise the show in the 90s/00s/

- the great Muppets film in 2011, the ok Muppets Most Wanted a couple of years later.

- the terrible mockumentary one

And now this new zoom lockdown thing they're doing on Disney +

I think other than a fondness for the Muppets themselves mixed with a bit of nostalgia, they're not actually very good, are they? :( 

Was there a Muppet Lego movie? Or maybe I'm mixing it up with a Scooby Doo Lego movie!

I honestly didn't know there was more than one Peter Beale until I read this thread. That's turned my world upside-down......

Muppet Babies!

Well, I enjoyed it when I watched out when it was on Going Live or whatever it was. Can't say I've seen it since then. Can still remember the theme tune, mind.