Your favourite game from when you were twelve

Now I feel old!

1983 - Manic Miner. Remember playing this on my brand new Spectrum at Christmas time. Magical. Also remember all the family marveling at the Spectrum at the time and having a go on said game. Also got The Hobbit for it that Christmas too. Both fantastic games. Think The Hobbit fostered a long term addiction to adventure games. Great memories. 

• Upvote 1

I was 12 in 1992.

Fuck knows exactly what I was playing, because like Crayola says, even if the game was released that year, we might not see it at all.

However, my brother (born in 1990), found this index advert while redecorating a house recently:

5F36367D-731B-491E-9D4E-DF9F34DBC210.jpeg

• Upvote 3

2000/2001

Was still a massive Nintendo fanboy at the time with my N64 and Game Boy. (And loved 'hating' PlayStation while actually visiting classmates to play on it at their place.)

I mostly liked:

Pokémon Red

Pokémon Stadium

Super Smash Bros.

Mario Tennis

Donkey Kong 64

Also: Perfect Dark, even though I only got it for my 13th birthday as my parents thought it was too violent and expensive initially. Spent some nights crying over that.

• Upvote 1

I was 12 in 1992. Got my Amiga for my birthday so it has to be:

Sensible Soccer.

Then playing stuff round friends' houses:

Sonic 2

Zelda: LTTP

Comanche Maximum Overkill

Not sure if I actually got to play all those last 3 in 1992 or if I saw them later but that's the year they came out. Was a good time for games! 

LTTP is a contender for my all time favourite, maybe only edged out by BOTW.

• Upvote 2

1998 for me. Considered one of the best gaming years of all time. It's no surprise when you see what was released, Resident Evil 2, Banjo-Kazooie, Metal Gear Solid, Soul Calibur.

My favourite though would be Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Not only the best of that year but also the best of all time.

• Upvote 1

I was 12 in 1996, and I'd love to say Super Mario 64, or Quake, or Resident Evil, which all came out that year, but the closest I came to playing Mario 64 was being wowed by it when someone came round to buy a monitor off us and tested it out on it in front of me. At that point I had a mega drive and my favourite game was probably something a bit shit like Animaniacs because I was a dumb kid.

• Upvote 2
24 minutes ago, Timmo said:

I was 12 in 1996, and I'd love to say Super Mario 64, or Quake, or Resident Evil, which all came out that year, but the closest I came to playing Mario 64 was being wowed by it when someone came round to buy a monitor off us and tested it out on it in front of me. At that point I had a mega drive and my favourite game was probably something a bit shit like Animaniacs because I was a dumb kid.

I can't shake the idea that somewhere there was a kid who was stuck with a Megadrive or SNES in 96, wandered in to Electronics Boutique, walked past all the PlayStation, N64, Saturn stuff seething with jealousy. Got to the 16 bit games tucked away at the back, picked out a game at random that looked alright and slouched out again, depressed.

And then the game was fucking Alien Soldier or Terranigma or something! 

• Upvote 1

Like the OP my 12th year was 1994.

It's all a bit hazy exactly what I played when because in that era my gaming was largely down to hand-me-down/car boot sale games, the odd new release from Toys R Us as a treat, and hammering magazine cover disks. I don't really remember ever getting lots of brand new games when they came out except maybe at Christmas/Birthday (both very close together).

I can't even remember exactly which hardware I had then as I think it would be about when I got my Mega Drive in place of my Master System, my Dad's PC was available (and regularly commandeered) and I'm sure I must have had my Atari Lynx as it was discontinued not long after that. I may even have had the Amiga then as I'm sure we got that in a boot sale/auction/local paper classified ad just before it was discontinued too (my Dad had a habit of turning up with random tech used bargains he'd found).

Anyway, although there is a high chance I was actually playing older stuff in 94, from the list I've found of releases that year these are the games that had the biggest impact on me...

Mega Drive

- Sonic 3

- Sonic Spinball

- Sonic & Knuckles

- Aladdin

- Mortal Kombat II

PC

- TIE Fighter

- Heretic

- Doom 2

- Sim City 2000

Amiga

- Cannon Fodder 2

- Sensible World of Soccer

• Upvote 1

I was 12 in 1990. I don’t have many gaming memories of that year, as my Mum spent most of it in hospital having contracted a horrific flu just before Christmas ‘89.

I know I got my C64 somewhere around that time, but can’t be certain when. I may still have been playing games on our BBC B, and if so it’ll have been older stuff like Exile, Spycat, or any of the other Superior Software adventure games.

Once the C64 came along I’ll have moved onto Turrican, Golden Axe, Ironman Stewarts Super Off-road Racing, and Lords of Chaos (all 1990 releases).

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

Some of you lot are well young.

I was 12 in 1989, I'm trying to remember if we had a C64 at that point, I don't think we did. So it would have been something like Kickstart on the Commodore 16. 

Though one of my all time favorite games came out in 1989 - Stunt Car Racer, I just don't think I got to play it for a few years. Still occasionally play it now and still think it's brilliant.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, idespair said:

I was 12 in 1990. I don’t have many gaming memories of that year, as my Mum spent most of it in hospital having contracted a horrific flu just before Christmas ‘89.

I know I got my C64 somewhere around that time, but can’t be certain when. I may still have been playing games on our BBC B, and if so it’ll have been older stuff like Exile, Spycat, or any of the other Superior Software adventure games.

Once the C64 came along I’ll have moved onto Turrican, Golden Axe, Ironman Stewarts Super Off-road Racing, and Lords of Chaos (all 1990 releases).

Yeah, there may have been amazing stuff released in 1990 (SMW for a start) but there’s no way in hell I was anywhere near it. Of the games I can see that were released that year, probably Populous, but not till at least 1992 when it was released on the Archimedes (and I could play it on the school computers).

• Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, ScouserInExile said:

Though one of my all time favorite games came out in 1989 - Stunt Car Racer, I just don't think I got to play it for a few years. Still occasionally play it now and still think it's brilliant.

I finally managed to win the racing league on this recently on an emulated Amiga (via RetroPie). Slightly gutted to find that this just pushes you into the "Super League" where everything is impossibly fast! I really thought 2020 was going to be the year I would complete Stunt Car Racer.

• Upvote 2

1976 so all there was at home was a generic pong type bat n ball unit. This was the first ever thing that was plugged into the back of our home TV at a time when tvs were still prone to spontaneously combusting, so no doubt created a lot of suspicious paranoia in my parents. Tuning in to channel 36 to get a signal was like fine tuning an oscilloscope. VCRs were still a way off. Little did I know that gaming was about to kick off a lifetime's obsession within a year or two as the Atari VCS would launch and the world would be overtaken by Space Invaders. So 1976 was probably the very start of it all... Or the end of  an analogue life if you like. 

• Upvote 3
19 minutes ago, Huz said:

I finally managed to win the racing league on this recently on an emulated Amiga (via RetroPie). Slightly gutted to find that this just pushes you into the "Super League" where everything is impossibly fast! I really thought 2020 was going to be the year I would complete Stunt Car Racer.

I don't remember getting very far "back in the day", but gave it a bit of a drubbing when I got my The64 at Christmas.

• Upvote 1

1983, so Jetpac, Tranz Am and Manic Miner on my Spectrum.

My grandparents lived near Wells Next The Sea in Norfolk, which had two arcades. There was only one game I was spending my pocket money on that summer....

CE37886B-835E-4466-B18F-5632D8A85351.jpeg

• Upvote 3
48 minutes ago, matt0 said:

I can't shake the idea that somewhere there was a kid who was stuck with a Megadrive or SNES in 96, wandered in to Electronics Boutique, walked past all the PlayStation, N64, Saturn stuff seething with jealousy.

I was at uni in 96 so had no money until 2000, so missed out on the PS1, Saturn and N64 (except by proxy) and made do with my Mega Drive and Amiga 1200 until then.

Then I bought a Dreamcast, N64 and a game-capable PC in quick succession.

• Upvote 1

1992 I would still have been very C64 focused. My favourite game would have easily been Creatures 2 or not strictly a game but a lot of time with SEUCK (shoot em up construction kit)

• Upvote 1

I was 12 in 1989.

This happened to be the year I got my first console - a Sega Master System and I am sure I was the only person I knew that had one.  My favourite game would have been Shinobi, which I sadly never completed without using a level select chest as one of bosses was a right bastard.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Jammy said:

My grandparents lived near Wells Next The Sea in Norfolk, which had two arcades. There was only one game I was spending my pocket money on that summer....CE37886B-835E-4466-B18F-5632D8A85351.jpeg

All my money would go on Pac-Land and Pang in that very same arcade.

• Upvote 2

1986 is the year i was 12 :o   Quite a lot to pick from

I'll take this i reckon.

- I remember the C64 version was OK! all in one load :)  and the Amstrad version and possibly Spectrum  you had to play an Audio Cassette! for that classic music.

bb.jpg

• Upvote 1
13 minutes ago, Jammy said:

My grandparents lived near Wells Next The Sea in Norfolk, which had two arcades. There was only one game I was spending my pocket money on that summer....

CE37886B-835E-4466-B18F-5632D8A85351.jpeg

Took my 4 year old to Arcade Club in Leeds at the end of last year. He was a bit too young and it was too much stimulation so he spent the entire time in a state of hyperactive near-meltdown and I was in a constant state of aggravation as a result but... 

He loved the old sit down Star Wars cabinet. It was one of the only games he was able to concentrate on for longer than 60 seconds at a time and he mentions it every now and then.

It's a near perfect game in my eyes. There's something magical about the old vector graphics games and their retina searing brightness.

EDIT: the other game he really liked was Ketsui :lol:

• Upvote 4
8 minutes ago, Jg15 said:

1992 for me, was still playing on the NES until Christmas of that year when this baby arrived:

357217587.jpg.fc32aa0711bbfbf1113f6603af07bdcf.jpg

Way back when.... i was at a computer fair and the seller had the USA import of Street Fighter 2  running on a PAL Snes with the adaptor. It wasn't out in the UK yet.   I instantly bought an adaptor and the game - but i didn't have a console.... Until i went straight out on the same afternoon and got it :)    and then a couple of months later was told that if i got an American Snes it would be better!  -  so Part exchanged it at an import shop in Walsall west midlands.  My first ever experience of owing an NTSC machine.   Thank god i had a Sony TV that accepted it :o   and yes of course it was better :) 

• Upvote 2

My 12th birthday was towards the end of 1997. I spent most of 1998 continuing to play my favourite games from several years before on the Mega Drive (the Sonics, Starflight, Micro Machines 96, The Story of Thor, NBA Jam TE) and on the PC:

SimCity 2000

Monkey Island 2

Cannon Fodder

Discworld (I hadn't actually read any Pratchett books at the time!)

I got a new PC in 1998 (Packard Bell 300MHz Cyrix M-II with 24MB RAM and a 3.2GB HDD!), and the best game that was included was... Actua Soccer 2!

I think that 1998 was the year when I first played GoldenEye - but it didn't become my Favourite Game Ever until later, after a few more visits to the friend who had it.

Games that were released between my 12th and 13th birthdays that I didn't play until later:

Burning Rangers

StarCraft

Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines

Castlevania SOTN

F-Zero X

Grim Fandango

Metal Gear Solid (JP/US releases)

Half-Life

Sonic R

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

... and the Japanese Dreamcast launch :wub:

• Upvote 1