Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales

I thought it looked noticeably shiner than on PS4, although it’s hard to tell from such a short trailer. I haven’t seen any confirmation of whether it’s a shorter, Lost Legacy style thing yet, but that seems like a good idea if they can get it out for Launch. 

3 hours ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

I loved the first game, but that really looks like its running on a PS4.

So I guess this will come out on both, with this being the slightly enhanced PS5 version.

I would hope not. Spidey has been their showcase game for what next gen can do. You would think they’d make it PS5 exclusive and do all that stuff. 

On 11/06/2020 at 23:07, Mr. Gerbik said:

Even though it looks a bit like a quick expansion rather than a full-blown sequel, I'm really excited about this one! Loved the first and this together with DeS Remake justifies my PlayStation Mad Catz purchase :)

That's reportedly what it is.. it's a port of the PS4 game with an expansion.. 'substantial' hopefully means something along the lines of Infamous First Light & Uncharted Lost Legacy..

"Speaking to The Telegraph, Sony Interactive Entertainment’s EVP head of European Business, Simon Rutter said that Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales would include “major enhancements” to the 2018 PS4 game.

“I guess you could call it an expansion and an enhancement to the previous game,” he said.

“There’s a substantial Miles Morales component – which is the expansion element – but also within the game as well there’s been major enhancements to the game and the game engine, obviously deploying some of the major PlayStation 5 technology and features.”

Asked whether such familiarity was an important part of transitioning an installed user base from old machines to the new, Rutter said:

“I think what is very interesting for everyone to see is how familiar games might be to some degree changed through the workings of PlayStation 5.”

If one of the enhancements is some 'pro-swinging' options, like being able to web with each wrist using the associated trigger, and being able to turn off some of the wall-running and mid-air direction change assists, that would be the biggest thing for me.

Having never come across the character before, I really enjoyed the version in Into the Spider-Verse. Peter Parker is often held up as uniquely relatable and likeable among superheroes and, at least in that film, I thought Miles was even more so. Game version seems a bit biege by comparison. I guess they have a chance to flesh him out more with this though.

2 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

They're not going to miss out on a massive chunk of cash by not bringing it to the format that has millions of copies sold.

Just had a quick search and it sold 13.2 million as of July 2019. So yeah makes sense to be a cross gen expansion 

If only there was a name that embodied it being an enhanced version of the game Spiderman, while also putting Miles Morales into a starring role, some sort of Ultimate version of Spiderman, perhaps?

"How about Marvel's Spiderman: Miles Morales"

"Sure, whatever"

IT is but it'll look exactly the same because they won't have changed any of the environments. That shouldn't matter but if you release a second game where the setting is exactly the same people will think it's not a real sequel. A real sequel implies a complete rebuilding from the ground up, no matter how ridiculous that sounds.

The city's snowy now, so it'll at least have a bit of a different feel to it.

I suspect this will actually look significantly better than the PS4 game in parts, but as that game's presentation was so polished it doesn't really have any obvious flaws to address. Whatever the case, I'm all for more shorter, standalone big-budget games.

11 minutes ago, Peb Kacharach said:

I don’t think we’ve seen enough to say they haven’t changed the environments. For one, they’ve retextured it as it’s set in Winter. There are other areas of the city they can add. I’m sure it’ll differentiate itself from it’s predecessor.

I really don't think we'll see anything drastically different though. Just a hunch, obviously. It doesn't bother me, I'll play it as long as it's on PS4 because I'm absolutely down for more of that. I just think they're avoiding calling it a sequel because of that association people make with reused assets=lazy.

1 hour ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Mainly journalists getting it wrong as they stumble over themselves to find a “gotcha” really.

It was a literal quote from a Sony executive, but if you're dead set on shitting on journos, then sure.

It reminds a little bit of the confusing mess that was the XB1 launch where different Microsoft executives would say different things to journalists. This is thankfully just about one game, but still. It didn't need to happen.

Maybe the confusion is because they’ve had to cut out the entire main story because it had Miles tackling minor misdemeanours with brutal beatings alongside his buddies the NYPD.

The game now consists only of Harry Osborne challenges. I’m there day one.