PS5 Hardware - The Poll We've All Been Waiting For

PS5 Hardware Poll  

427 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I wouldn't be surprised if the one with the UHD drive is a full £100 more than the one without. That might change a few minds. As mentioned, however, I'm not sure how they plan on letting people play their physical PS4 discs on it without a disc drive. If they announce it's fully backwards compatible but only for digital PS4 games then that's going to piss a lot of people off. I wouldn't put it past them, though, as they're not going to see a penny from people buying second hand PS4 games from CEX or whatever to play on their PS5.

Just now, Jamie John said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the one with the UHD drive is a full £100 more than the one without. That might change a few minds. As mentioned, however, I'm not sure how they plan on letting people play their physical PS4 discs on it without a disc drive. If they announce it's fully backwards compatible but only for digital PS4 games then that's going to piss a lot of people off. I wouldn't put it past them, though, as they're not going to see a penny from people buying second hand PS4 games from CEX or whatever to play on their PS5.

if you want backwards compatibility with physical disks, buy the disk reading version. It’s not a hard to grasp sales message.

• Upvote 7

I hated it last night, but this morning I'm beginning to warm to it...slightly. Who knows how I'll feel by the end of the year.

Digital for me no question. I've not bought a physical game since the PS4 released and I've already got a couple of better Blu-ray / UHD players (Oppo).

50 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

Jesus Christ, it's huge. 

m68gq2vi8e451.png

As an aside, does anyone ever stand their console vertically?

EDIT: This also highlights the clarity of Sony's console naming vs Microsoft's increasingly nonsensical...

• Upvote 1
57 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

Jesus Christ, it's huge. 

m68gq2vi8e451.png

Jeez look at that. What a miracle the OG PS4 was size-wise. 

(I mean it’s amazing what you can do if you don’t cool a system properly but still)

7 hours ago, pastry said:

It's absolutely dreadful, particularly coming from Sony, whose product design aesthetic tends to be restrained and quite minimal, and suited to contemporary interior design & modernist architecture. I was hoping for something rather more in the style of Dieter Rams. 

Yuck. 

It's a disaster of a design, very surprising from Sony really. The last thing you think they'd want to do with a console that has such heft is to case it in white plastic to make it stick out in your rack/stand even more.

6 minutes ago, DeciderVT said:

It's a disaster of a design, very surprising from Sony really. The last thing you think they'd want to do with a console that has such heft is to case it in white plastic to make it stick out in your rack/stand even more.

It’s not a disaster if people are discussing the design. How long did the conversation about the XBox last? I don’t think I even noticed it begin. 

I like it, and it would be trivially easy for Sony to add an all black or black and grey version for launch if they really thought it would help sales. 

• Upvote 2
7 minutes ago, Vespa Alex said:

It’s not a disaster if people are discussing the design. How long did the conversation about the XBox last? I don’t think I even noticed it begin. 

I think this has some truth to it. My little brother is a gamer of the CoD/FIFA variety but I've already sent him a pic of the PS5 this morning to ask him what he thinks and he's forwarded it on to his mates.

Even if we now get 10,000+ YouTubes making videos of how disgusting they think it is, it's going to be popping up all over the place today. I imagine there'll be national newspaper articles about it as well.

Edit: it's not on BBC news yet but it's one of the Guardian's most read stories.

2 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I think this has some truth to it. My little brother is a gamer of the CoD/FIFA variety but I've already sent him a pic of the PS5 this morning to ask him what he thinks and he's forwarded it on to his mates.

Even if we now get 10,000+ YouTubes making videos of how disgusting they think it is, it's going to be popping up all over the place today. I imagine there'll be national newspaper articles about it as well.

Edit: it's not on BBC news yet but it's one of the Guardian's most read stories.

The BBC news article mentions the controversial design as well as the games that were shown. 

If we, as a society, could get past the name of the Wii, we can get past how this looks.

It's memorable at least. I think I might have dreamed about it last night. Or it might have been an ancient city under a pitch-black sky with an architecture that has never known a mere three dimensions.

• Upvote 3

We have to think positive - bigger means quieter right? You may not like it now but when it’s pumping out visuals the quality of HZD2 and still whisper quiet you might. 

12 minutes ago, Vespa Alex said:

It’s not a disaster if people are discussing the design.

It might get them a bit of extra publicity now but it's still going to look awful in years to come. It's fine if you like it but I find it laughably poor in comparison with their other designs, personally.

2 minutes ago, Stanley said:

We have to think positive - bigger means quieter right? You may not like it now but when it’s pumping out visuals the quality of HZD2 and still whisper quiet you might. 

It depends what's actually in there. For two consoles baling out the same amount of heat, the bigger one can be quieter, but that's not going to be the case here. As an extreme example, the Switch is both the tiniest and quietest console at the moment because it's dissipating very little heat.

I have confidence that Sony will have made the PS5 quiet though. They've done a lot of work in that direction.

6 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

If we, as a society, could get past the name of the Wii, we can get past how this looks.

It's memorable at least. I think I might have dreamed about it last night. Or it might have been an ancient city under a pitch-black sky with an architecture that has never known a mere three dimensions.

One thing I will say for it is that it made me forget about COVID-19 for a couple of hours. So that's one positive.

I hope so because that’s the single most important factor now for me - no more will I spend £400+ on something that ends up sounding like a harrier jump jet. 

• Upvote 2

It reminds me a little of the first-generation DS and 3DS designs. They're striking and a little bit weird to make them distinct from the previous console, but the next revisions are likely to be a lot more sedate, and a lot more in line with the company's design language. The revised DS and 3DS basically look like big GBA SPs; I wouldn't be surprised if the PS5 Slim was more like the PS4.

• Upvote 2
9 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

:lol:

*Iunderstoodthatreference.jpg*

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, Calashnikov said:

I’m not really a fan of this design, but for all the folk comparing it to Sky boxes and routers from 2006, I think that’s no accident. Sony must be anticipating a nostalgia and a regard amongst the masses for that sort of design aesthetic. You see it with yootz on Depop hash tagging their wares with ‘Y2k’. All that look is maaaaybe going to come back in a big way. The white void sci-fi aesthetic reminds me of the original few iPods and also the Wii. I honestly think that style of design is due a resurgence. Probably from kids from that era now being grown up and theoretically having a disposable income for the first time. I think I see what they’re anticipating.

Well I think Sony are jumping the gun here by not resurrecting the late 90's early 2000's everything is see through plastic school of design first. 

• Upvote 1