PC VR - Hardware & Software discussion

On 23/07/2020 at 09:02, simms said:

Thanks for the impressions I enjoyed reading.  Not sure if you have the lighthouse 2.0 version but I'd hope they reduced the whine.  I have the lighthouse 1.0  and I have to turn them off if I'm not VR'ing.  I'm waiting a one of the manufacturers to provide a proper PC wireless headset before I buy a new one.  Wireless trumps every other feature for me.  

Yeah they are the 2.0 versions, I got the full Index kit. I don't know if I'm getting used to them or if they are quietening down but I find them less obnoxious than I first did. I still turn them off once I've finished though.

One other thing I've noticed is that the headset gets pretty hot after a while. I definitely noticed it earlier playing Beat Saber.

I'm interested to see what the HP Reverb G2 is like when that comes out. It takes the speakers and comfort from the Index, but adds more resolution and hopefully gets rid of the glare. It uses inside out tracking so no whiny lighthouses. The only thing that stops it from being my perfect headset is the controllers. They look OK in that they are similar to the Oculus ones, but no capacitive touch, so I'm not sure how they will handle finger presence.

18 hours ago, papalazarou said:

Lol was thinking the same - wait till he plays alien isolation or hide and seek with “Jeff”

I am nowhere near Jeff so far but the early flashlight bits are bad enough!

• Upvote 1

Is there any benefit to more than 2 lighthousen?  It's not THAT much more to get the full Index kit than headset and controllers but I already have a full first gen Vive kit.

Worth one per corner?

I dont think there is any added benefit unless you have warehouse sized room as far as I know.  2 lighthouse provides more than enough coverage for the average user.  I could be wrong however.

• Upvote 1

Although... it does occur given I'm moving the old PC downstairs, I could set up the old VR kit down there too....

Interesting.

I actually did that by taking the stuff round to a friends for a party.  We basically set up something one of those old 2 player arcade cabs for racing games except ours was VR running Project Cars 2.

I’m trying to get used to the Rift S again. Have found eating some ginger chews and making sure I’ve got a strong fan on me help a lot! 

Don’t feel like I’ve got the fit sorted yet though, it’s still quite blurry. Angling it lower so it sits right on my nose seems to be the sweet spot but it’s really uncomfortable like that! Any other suggestions?! I’ve set the IPD thing. Should I be using the little forward and back adjustment on the little button at the front? Not really sure what that’s for in truth. 

Not tried these mods for Fallout 4 VR yet which is supposed to improve performance and Qol improvements for Vr amougst other tweaks, maybe the all things VR knowing @papalazarou has tried it but there's a program called Wabbajack that supposed to make it easy to install loads of mods at once.  Here the one for Fallout 4 Vr :

Unfortunately fallout 4 Vr isn’t something I’ve really played about with (was never really a fan of the  2d version) I did try the in modded VR version and found it very clankly so may give the  above a try to see if it does improve it (the mods for Skyrim vr made the game far superior to the vanilla version) 

• Upvote 1
On 24/07/2020 at 20:48, Thor said:

Christ, if you think that's scary, you're fucked. :lol:

:lol: Yeah, this is fair. Referring to Batman, for anyone that didn't see the post this is in reply to. I think a combination of being claustrophobic and it being my first proper VR experience added up to make it more than it was.

I'm still not touching Alien with a shitty stick, though. I played it normally a couple of years back, and although I got bored of the gameplay loop before it really got going, I've no intention of revisiting it with VR goggles on my head. 

Further impressions from my first few days - I'm not entirely convinced I've managed to find the sweet spot, and the closest I can get make it very uncomfortable as it pushes my glasses right into my face, so I'm looking at getting contact lenses. Oh, and I punched a wall playing Superhot, so I'll have to wait until I move into a bigger space to play that. I'm changing the room i have my office in in a couple of months though, so that will get sorted.

• Upvote 1

I've just had my first go on Beat Saber - absolutely superb. Quick question for other Rift users though - my girlfriend will want to have her own save file on it, but I can't see how to do this. Is there a way, or am I just going to have to put up with her disrupting my progress?

On 26/07/2020 at 08:09, Marmite said:

I’m trying to get used to the Rift S again. Have found eating some ginger chews and making sure I’ve got a strong fan on me help a lot! 

Don’t feel like I’ve got the fit sorted yet though, it’s still quite blurry. Angling it lower so it sits right on my nose seems to be the sweet spot but it’s really uncomfortable like that! Any other suggestions?! I’ve set the IPD thing. Should I be using the little forward and back adjustment on the little button at the front? Not really sure what that’s for in truth. 

Do you have a really narrow IPD then? And yes, the forward and back adjustment is for comfort and sweet spot adjustment.

On 27/07/2020 at 15:23, Keiths_Dad said:

Further impressions from my first few days - I'm not entirely convinced I've managed to find the sweet spot, and the closest I can get make it very uncomfortable as it pushes my glasses right into my face, so I'm looking at getting contact lenses. Oh, and I punched a wall playing Superhot, so I'll have to wait until I move into a bigger space to play that. I'm changing the room i have my office in in a couple of months though, so that will get sorted.

I'd seriously recommend something like this.  I'm a bit out of the loop, so don't know if that company in particular are any good, but prescription lenses are the way forward.  Something magnetic like this is probably better, as they can be easily popped out when you want to swap with another user.  

Glasses annoyance (and a big head) really spoilt early VR for me, ealding me to dip out in a huff.  I am 97.4% sure I'm going to dive back in again now that these types of solutions are around.  ^_^

• Upvote 2
4 hours ago, Thor said:

Do you have a really narrow IPD then? And yes, the forward and back adjustment is for comfort and sweet spot adjustment.

its 6.5cm. Think that’s pretty average? 

15 hours ago, Valver said:

Well this is complete bullshit!  Massive PC downgrade to accommodate Quest players...

Developer responds on Steam, PCVR users continue to (quite rightly) vent their frustrations at the downgrade

https://steamcommunity.com/app/496240/eventcomments/2798376797398424983

:lol: what were the developers thinking?  Did they think no one would notice.  I don't quite understand why they would need to downgrade PC VR versions.  

2 hours ago, simms said:

:lol: what were the developers thinking?  Did they think no one would notice.  I don't quite understand why they would need to downgrade PC VR versions.  

While I totally disagree with they way this has been implemented and handled I can understand what they were going for - its all about cross system play.  If the map on the PCVR version is way more complex than the Quest version of the map (loads of trees outside being an obvious example) you could end up in a situation where a PC player is hiding behind a tree assuming it is providing cover, but the Quest player just sees them out in the open.  They were aiming for level parity to make everything fair from a game play POV.    That the PC players get their levels and graphics massively  gimped didn't seem to be an issue for them.  Its "consolitis" in the finest tradition.

As one of the the Steam comments says:  Imagine having a PS4 game that you've bought and played for years get suddenly updated to run the PS3 version graphically, so PS3 users can play against you...  Its not right!

• Upvote 3
12 hours ago, Valver said:

While I totally disagree with they way this has been implemented and handled I can understand what they were going for - its all about cross system play.  If the map on the PCVR version is way more complex than the Quest version of the map (loads of trees outside being an obvious example) you could end up in a situation where a PC player is hiding behind a tree assuming it is providing cover, but the Quest player just sees them out in the open.  They were aiming for level parity to make everything fair from a game play POV. 

I remember a similar situation in PUBG where people would run low level detail graphics to see other players more easily within foliage.  It's a tricky one.  It may dilute the amount of players but I think they should keep a PC Vr players vs other PC Vr players playlist running the upgraded v1.7 version of the game until they can (if ever) make v1.8 as good.  Maybe there are doing this already :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

My RTX 2070 has two dp connectors. I use both of them for my monitors (One 4k and one 1440p/144htz gsync). So I never liked having to be constantly pulling out one of the cables directly from the graphics card every time I wanted to do some VR. It's awkward for one thing and I'm sure it's not healthy for the port.

I tried a display port extension cable but that didn't work at all. I think ultimately the length became too long. Then I found this really cheap DP repeater on Amazon. £16.99 and now everything just works perfectly and the only wear and tear is on the repeater which would be much easier to replace than a graphics card.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07D949F59?psc=1

Also get Jeff Minter's new game Moose Life.

Managed to get the PSVR working on the PC. It works well and my brief launch of Elite dangerous has me excited.

Using iVRY and the lite version only allows 10 mins play. So need to find the £12 for full version but looks worth it.

29 minutes ago, Dudley said:

No connectors of any other type?

I've got 3 DP and an HDMI on mine.

Mine has 2DP and one HDMI. Unfortunately I need a DP for the 4k/60 monitor or windows runs it at 30 and a DP for gsync on the other monitor. The only one left is a HDMI and the Rift S won't connect to that.

• Upvote 1