[Hmm. Surprised I can't find a topic about this. Have I missed it?]

This launched as a Kickstarter project in April 19. Delivery was due in September 19, but - as these things almost always are - it has been delayed.
Apparently in manufacture now, and just opened to preorders yesterday on Indiegogo.

The guy who is building it seems very passionate and smart - as far as I can tell, he's designed the hardware and has written code to use it with emulators himself.

It's a lightgun for modern TVs and projectors. Each gun has a camera that watches a thin white border around the edge of the image to calculate your aim and potentially your position - for exploration by new games (opens up gameplay like Police 911 / Police 24/7?)

The border is added either by a modern Windows/Linux compatible game, or by OSSC / RetroPie - plenty of videos of it in action under the Indiegogo link.

I love lightgun games, and the possibility of having Point Blank working on a projector is enough for me to punt - though it says somewhere that you should be 1.5x the screen width away from the screen for it to work properly. I presume it connects by USB, but haven't seen any info on that, or cable length.

There's a regular and recoil version. The recoil version is a chunk more expensive and I haven't seen any videos of that working, but he's on record for saying you can upgrade the non-recoil one at a later date, so I'm in for a couple of the regular ones.

Anyone bought into this already?

Yeah, I backed this on kickstarter wyay back when. Just the standard version though as I couldn't justify the extra money for that version.

It does really really good and some of the footage on Youtube  is quite impressive.

i think he's also releasing a mod for olders (at least the ps1 and ps2) that supports tihs:

https://www.sindenlightgun.com/blog/playstation-1-and-2-original-console-sinden-lightgun-support/

Yep supported too. Really can't wait for it to come out not only so i can get rid of my CRT but also to be able to play all those games stuck in the arcade like Jurassic Park, Virtua Cop 3 etc.

In the process of ditching my CRT, I was thinking about listing my light guns as a bundle on the bay of E.

I might hang onto the games though...

39 minutes ago, Johnson Geoffrey Johnson said:

Does this work like a genuine light gun then or is it sort of like a modified ps move?

More like a better PS Move or Wiimote. There is a camera in the gun that reads the white border put on the TV. Except it can calculate distance, size, angle etc to be accurate. It then feeds this back to the game. Can also be used for mouse pointer games too. Genuine light guns work differently and are incompatible with how modern TVs work.

It's so simple in principle that I'm amazed nobody has gone down this route before - I guess the Move or Wii Remote were considered close enough given the limited demand of light gun games that nobody thought of coming up with a better way? It's such an elegant idea, but then the engineering on top of that to make it work with existing hardware must have been an absolute nightmare.

It's not the sort of thing I'm likely to actually ever get or use but a lot of respect for it.

43 minutes ago, SeanR said:

Too lazy to investigate, so I’ll ask:

it’ll work with unmodified code?

He mentions a mod which makes it work with original PS1 and PS2 hardware, even.

1 hour ago, SeanR said:

Too lazy to investigate, so I’ll ask:

it’ll work with unmodified code?

Yes, you’ll use a raspberry pi or ossc to generate the frame. Or a piece of cardboard.

1 hour ago, SeanR said:

right, does anyone remember why PS lightguns often used the composite video port?

Most CRT light guns worked as a telescope with a very narrow view of the screen, and when you pulled the trigger they waited for the bright dot from the scanning beam to pop in to view. The light gun is pointing at the same part of the screen as the beam at that instant. The position of the dot is driven very directly by the composite video signal so if you have that signal, you know where the dot was.

5 hours ago, Alex W. said:

Most CRT light guns worked as a telescope with a very narrow view of the screen, and when you pulled the trigger they waited for the bright dot from the scanning beam to pop in to view. The light gun is pointing at the same part of the screen as the beam at that instant. The position of the dot is driven very directly by the composite video signal so if you have that signal, you know where the dot was.

Great explanation, so why does the Saturn and every other light gun only need to be plugged into the controller port and not also the video feed?

No idea. I think the older consoles are synchronised a lot more rigidly to the timing of screen refresh, so maybe they don't need to read the video output to get that information.

Of course if you go even further back Duck Hunt does its own special thing involving drawing white rectangles.

• 2 months later...
1 minute ago, Ry said:

I bought an Oculus Quest to scratch that lightgun shooting itch I have. It's great but just not the same. 

Hacked Quest, emulator plus a 3d printed lightgun attachment for the remote perhaps to give it that proper feel?

Just now, Lorfarius said:

Hacked Quest, emulator plus a 3d printed lightgun attachment for the remote perhaps to give it that proper feel?

Too much hassle! Thanks though. 

• 1 month later...

So, my 2 (non recoil) guns arrived last week.  I am a total lightgun fanboy, mainly from the 90s arcade / ps1 era with particular favourites being Point Blank, Time Crisis, Virtua Cop and House of the Dead.  I plan top get these setup this afternoon and have a first play.  I just hope that I can achieve the minimum viewing angle as I have a stupidly big TV in a small lounge room.  I'll report back on my findings in due course.

2 hours ago, Ketchup said:

Yeah I’m interested to hear how this all works as a backer. As he’s not said too much yet about the software, connections, raspberry pi etc that you may need to get it working.

To be fair to Andy, he emailed the backers who had their guns shipped with details on where to download the drivers / application etc.

There's a discord channel that he is participating in here:

https://discord.com/channels/727671998054137900/727671998880153632

Excited by this.  Farpoint on PSVR was an amazing experience spoiled by the drift of the Aim gun.  Home lightguns peaked with Time Crisis etc  when most people had smaller TVs.  Point Blank and Emulated Time Crisis on a big TV or VR size cinema mode really sounds good to me.