rllmuk
FiveFootNinja

First ever game you ever owned

15 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

When I was 8 or 9 I "convinced"* my parents that I needed a computer for "homework" and they bought me a Commodire 64! My mum randomly bought a game with it: Psytron.

502631-psytron-commodore-64-front-cover.thumb.jpg.b37106d18a3a22d215f579b9528e9fa3.jpg

I was 8 and I had no idea what was going on or what I needed to do. My English also wasn't very good at that point so maybe there were instructions and I missed them.**

676560-psytron-commodore-64-screenshot-let-s-protect-the-base.png.4a471e175e6e109785c2cee90ce9d63e.png

Anyway, I played it loads because it was the only game I had but I didn't like it. Thought it was boring. However, at some point I turned the tape over to see what would happen... and it loaded in a different game! Thinking back, it was probably a tech demo or prototype. You were a skater on a BttF like board and you could go either left or right down a set of featureless corridors. And it controlled really well, I remember you could also stick to the ceiling.

I think it must've been a tech demo because the way I recall it there was no title screen, nor any objectives or obstacle or enemies. Just you having fun with the board. For some reason I loved it and played it way more than Psytron!

*Thinking back I'm sure they knew exactly what I was doing but figured a computer by itself would be educational

**Although I also remember playing other games after that on the C64 with text and having zero problems reading the English text...

Psi Warrior

psi-warrior_2.png

We had Psytron as well and the best thing about it was the box. It was pretty much a bunch of mediocre mini games.

Also, I think, a lazy Spectrum port so without much colour.

It had Psi Warrior as a demo on the B side.

edit: it might have been the full game. Our version wouldn’t load in any case - I don’t think I was missing much.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Monkeyspill said:

Psi Warrior

psi-warrior_2.png

We had Psytron as well and the best thing about it was the box. It was pretty much a bunch of mediocre mini games.

Also, I think, a lazy Spectrum port so without much colour.

It had Psi Warrior as a demo on the B side.

Ah, so @MarkN was right! It just looks so different in my memory... but it was 35 years or so ago and of course I had one of those green monitors so the colours completely throw me off :lol: It was a disappointing start to what was supposed to be my Commodore gaming nirwana, but after that I played some excellent games :) Edit: and some really terrible ones!

• Upvote 1

I remember getting a spectrum 48 for Christmas and buying this from the Newsagent.

Jumping Jack. It ended up being one of my most played games purely because it never failed to load.

69BFBFCB-28AF-4B83-B7E7-94A5224D3FEE.jpeg

• Upvote 3

After much Googling, I found the right knock-off Pong console my Dad brought home from work one day in 1978 (ish)

$_86.JPG

First 'game' game was Gorf on Vic 20

ca16de23112da1e191569ac78488421e.jpg

Technically that belonged to my Dad though.  I do remember him taking me down the game stall in the local shopping indoor market to spend my pocket money. My murky memory tells me it was this I came home with. 

product-113452.jpg

• Upvote 3

I've got a few mixed memories on what may have been my first game.

I remember my grandparents buying me Silkworm on cassette.

&

I also remember my Mum buying me a D&D first person game on my NES, which i spent ages one christmas morning drawing maps in my notebook for. 

• Upvote 1

I believe this was the first thing my folks bought me:

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.043cae2b1cd2810785e989def386e847.jpg

Great fun!

Although I migrated fairly quickly to a Spectrum soon after...Hungry Horace and Slippery Sid were the first games I properly remember owning.

• Upvote 1

Im enjoying this thread.so much so I’ll put my mates first video game.  He had Cabbage patch kids and Adventure.  I was so jell at the time

B19C45FC-E6F7-4F03-8358-2836443E9CA2.jpeg.f24cd6fdba173b97b8e812ed3415591a.jpeg

• Upvote 1

I had this:

tomy-electric---galaxy-patrol-space-turb

Tomy’s Space Turbo.  It was fucking gash.  It does look like it should be amazing though.  

it’s unsurprising that as an adult I have an obsession with arcade machines and plastic tat. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Arn Ironjaw said:

I also remember my Mum buying me a D&D first person game on my NES, which i spent ages one christmas morning drawing maps in my notebook for. 

Shadowgate? I remember renting that with a friend of mine. We of course got stuck so we decided to ring the Nintendo helpline. And then again. And again. And we kept calling until we finished the game.

Some time later my friend told me his mum got really angry once she saw the phone bill.

• Upvote 1

Nifty Lifty which came in a Currys bundled Speccy 128... Don't think I ever got past three lift shafts

• Upvote 2

Probably not the first I owned* but I have strong memories of Grandstand’s Caveman. My brother’s friend gave it to me and I spent hours playing it in the dark cupboard under the stairs.

I also played the shit out of this:

81dSojciwUL._AC_SX679_.jpg

* The actual first may have been either Grandstand’s Astrowars or Kevin Keegan’s Football (also Grandstand).

• Upvote 2

I had a colour Game and Watch style mini cabinet and can still remember every sound it made, but can't recall enough to find it.  I know at some point you would have to catch a falling fruit (cherries maybe?). I'd love to see it again.

• Upvote 1

I'm pretty sure it was Puck Monster.

Anybody remember them? 

Screenshot_20200517-103446.png

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Monkeyspill said:

Probably not the first I owned* but I have strong memories of Grandstand’s Caveman. My brother’s friend gave it to me and I spent hours playing it in the dark cupboard under the stairs.

I also played the shit out of this:

81dSojciwUL._AC_SX679_.jpg

* The actual first may have been either Grandstand’s Astrowars or Kevin Keegan’s Football (also Grandstand).

did you live at 4 Privet Drive?

I liked reading this thread even though I'm a bit younger than some of you (32) and it made me think which PS1 game I got first. I know for sure that one Christmas I got Wipeout from my brother and we had great fun multiplayer races.

Then I thought actually I had a see-through Game Boy (which I still have with the case) slightly before and the first game I had for that was this little gem: 

image.png.46960e992ec4b00e4f70569f34164d80.png

Never did get past the underwater capsule section - the damage and time limit were so harsh!

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Ry said:

I'm pretty sure it was Puck Monster.

Anybody remember them? 

No it wasn't that. The individual 'sprites' if you like were multicoloured. 

If we’re talking video game system then Binatone.

If we’re talking game that has to be bought to be loaded on a system then Pyjamarama.

In between those there were lots of Game’n”Watches, Tomytronics, Puck Monster, Super Cobra and endless arcade visits.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, GamesGamesGames said:

No it wasn't that. The individual 'sprites' if you like were multicoloured. 

I'm saying this was probably my first.

:)

• Upvote 1

Mario's Cement Factory Game and Watch clam shell version, bought at a jumble sale.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, GamesGamesGames said:

I had a colour Game and Watch style mini cabinet and can still remember every sound it made, but can't recall enough to find it.  I know at some point you would have to catch a falling fruit (cherries maybe?). I'd love to see it again.

I've looked through the list here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Game_%26_Watch_games#Series

The description reminds me of Popeye but the falling fruit one was black and white.

But the individual colour characters make it sound like one of the table top or panorama series.

150px-Donkey_Kong_jr_Tabletop.jpg

150px-Mario_bombs_away.gif

Sure it wasn't Mario Bomb's Away?

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Unofficial Who said:

I've looked through the list here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Game_%26_Watch_games#Series

The description reminds me of Popeye but the falling fruit one was black and white.

But the individual colour characters make it sound like one of the table top or panorama series.

150px-Donkey_Kong_jr_Tabletop.jpg

150px-Mario_bombs_away.gif

Sure it wasn't Mario Bomb's Away?

Oh mate nice one! They weren't falling cherries, they were rising balloons!

• Upvote 1

5d0e53cd35c6c0519ec507d6616733bb.jpg

Not sure what age I was, we still lived in our first house so I was under eight, and a few years under it I think. 5 or 6 I  would say. My da bought it for me along with a master system, I couldn't get out for the first room, had to use it on the living room TV any time I wanted to try it which would have to be negotiated. That was the first and only game I ever owned for the Master System, which ended up just collecting dust after maybe five goes at it.

A year or two later I got a GameBoy and Tetris which was amazing. But again the one and only game I ever owned for the GameBoy.

Got a Megadrive and a handfull of games which I would swap with friends when I was about 10.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JoeK said:

I believe this was the first thing my folks bought me:

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.043cae2b1cd2810785e989def386e847.jpg

Great fun!

Although I migrated fairly quickly to a Spectrum soon after...Hungry Horace and Slippery Sid were the first games I properly remember owning.

Now that I think about it I actually had a Zelda game and watch that was actually a watch when I was no age at all. Not sure whether it came before the master system or not.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

image.jpeg.242e1bb687198e688fb0079f5263b946.jpeg

I had one of them! Not sure if it was the first I had though, the one that sticks out for me is:

image.png.29a90e84ffdee65223dd1e6935868631.png

image.png.22962720d918056f544d4c0b9d3e93fc.png

And also:

image.thumb.png.4d4840af7c50bd76bc908da949ce3db2.png

image.thumb.png.f03e646afa1b505f96213e2f71a2c286.png

They came with this, which I got for christmas when I was 6 or 7:

image.thumb.png.11d2c9b4547f3890d07345e47e7be7eb.png

Treasure Island was the first game I ever "completed". :)

• Upvote 3

I know I played Spectrum games before this (my dad and I both played Horace Goes Skiing, Sid Snake and multiple Dizzy games) and I may well have selected some myself, but this Spectrum 128k with the James Bond lightgun game was the first which was definitely mine.

DBB6893B-2275-4916-AD84-380FC7F6C184.jpeg

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, joemul said:

did you live at 4 Privet Drive?

I don’t know what that means. Is it a reference to something?

26 minutes ago, Monkeyspill said:

I don’t know what that means. Is it a reference to something?

Not sure if serious...