rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Jamie John

Half-Life 2 - 16 years later

11 hours ago, MattyP said:

I think it needed to connect to the net to validate the game even if you bought it at retail. Also I think you needed a Steam account to play any version of the game. Although memory could be hazy It was a whole ago :D

It's still great don't think I ever fully completed it back in the day for one reason or another.... Although can't remember how far I did get through it now. One of the many things I liked about the game there were no cutscenes in it everything happened in game through chatting with characters you met throughout the story. Still beats a lot of games today IMHO.

Yes that was it I belive. I recall people saying they were going to boycott it because they didn't want to install 'spyware' steam. I'll probably reinstall Half Life tonight and see if there are some mods for it. 

edit:

Yes reshade mod

9-15-1483718264.thumb.jpg.ce974a9189352390fb3fe55f438fe42f.jpg

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, marsh said:

I started trying to work out if I had a console version of this knocking about....

Transpires I have it on the PS3, that'll do right?

The PS3 version is generally regarded as being worse than the 360 version, though not by a huge amount; it's not as big a difference as 360/PS3 versions of Bayonetta.

It wasn't ported by Valve - Gabe Newell was not fond of the PS3 at the time The Orange Box came out, though he'd changed his mind by the time Portal 2 was released.

DF Retro compares the PS3 and 360 versions at the 17 minute mark in this video:

• Upvote 2

So I watch the video and just past the PS3/360 comparison is a version on Android....

u wat mate?

I'd kick the boy off his PC and fire it up in steam (my own account ironically)but, he's just turned 13,  stands 5 foot 6, physical enough in a rugby tackle and I will have to fight him for it. I don't even think I've played blue shift?

Wish me luck...

12 hours ago, MattyP said:

I think it needed to connect to the net to validate the game even if you bought it at retail. Also I think you needed a Steam account to play any version of the game. Although memory could be hazy It was a whole ago :D

It did! It caused a minor crisis in my home. At the time my main machine was an Apple laptop, and I had the gaming PC in another room not linked up to the internet or anything. Cue me taking a drill to the wall, buying a very long ethernet cable and getting things hooked up to log on so I could play the thing.

Worth it though!

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Stevie said:

I recall people saying they were going to boycott it because they didn't want to install 'spyware' steam.

When Steam was first introduced, months before HL2's release, it wasn't popular at first. A lot of Counter Strike people hated it because they associated it with the game's version increase from 1.5 to 1.6 (which introduced a lot of controversial changes, like the riot shield and changes to bullet spread patterns). Also people blamed Steam for a perceived performance drop. So lots of players stubbornly continued playing 1.5 via HL's original WON online multiplayer system.

A gif from early 2004:

rAvZOQo.gif

Ah, that sickly, horror-movie-asylum shade of green... :wub:

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Stevie said:

Yes that was it I belive. I recall people saying they were going to boycott it because they didn't want to install 'spyware' steam. I'll probably reinstall Half Life tonight and see if there are some mods for it. 

I think at the time I thought of it as being “bloated” and full of stuff I won’t use, much like how I thought of iTunes. I think I viewed it as something comparable to Gamespy Arcade (or whatever it was), and thought that there was nothing wrong with going to a web site for your game patches or whatever. One of my friends at college totally thought that it was nefarious snooping software too, so we were all sceptical.

But now? Could you imagine going back to finding the right web site which had the correct patch or driver you needed for your game to work? Or waiting on FilePlanet queues to get the newest point release of Quake? :ph34r: 

• Upvote 3

42 minutes ago, Nick R said:

When Steam was first introduced, months before HL2's release, it wasn't popular at first. A lot of Counter Strike people hated it because they associated it with the game's version increase from 1.5 to 1.6 (which introduced a lot of controversial changes, like the riot shield and changes to bullet spread patterns). Also people blamed Steam for a perceived performance drop. So lots of players stubbornly continued playing 1.5 via HL's original WON online multiplayer system.

A gif from early 2004:

rAvZOQo.gif

I thought Steam launched with CS: Source and lots of people preferred to play 1.6 cos it wasn’t on Steam? May be mis-remembering.

38 minutes ago, Nick R said:

I think I may have signed an anti-Steam petition at some point :facepalm: As soon as HL2 was released, Steam decided to start throwing an error on my PC and wouldn't unpack the game. I had to re-download the whole thing while reading on hl2.net's forum about how amazing it was, which was probably karmic justice.

7 minutes ago, CarloOos said:

I thought Steam launched with CS: Source and lots of people preferred to play 1.6 cos it wasn’t on Steam? May be mis-remembering.

I just checked the timeline:

September 2003 - Steam's first non-beta public release

9 September 2003 - CS 1.6's first non-beta release

March 2004 - CS Condition Zero

June 2004 - Half-Life Source

July 2004 - WON servers shut down

1 November 2004 - CS Source

16 November 2004 - HL2

2 minutes ago, PK said:

I think I may have signed an anti-Steam petition at some point :facepalm: As soon as HL2 was released, Steam decided to start throwing an error on my PC and wouldn't unpack the game. I had to re-download the whole thing while reading on hl2.net's forum about how amazing it was, which was probably karmic justice.

HL2 came out during my first couple of months at uni, and the guy in the dorm room next to mine got it on launch day and struggled to get it to work. I remember telling him that I'd read online that a cracked version had already been released, but urging him not to try it because Valve would probably ban him if detected. (He got the game working in the end - but whether it was the official version or a yarr'd version, I don't know.)

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Nick R said:

A gif from early 2004:

rAvZOQo.gif

This is the gif I remember from the time, based on the animated icon

3oWAJhi.gif

• Upvote 1

I think I still have the PC version of Half Life on disc somewhere....

Ive still got a spare copy sat in my Gifts list on Steam :o

21 minutes ago, wev said:

Ive still got a spare copy sat in my Gifts list on Steam :o

Don't suppose you've got a spare code for Episode 2 that you're looking to get rid of, by any chance? :eyebrows:

2 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Don't suppose you've got a spare code for Episode 2 that you're looking to get rid of, by any chance? :eyebrows:

Sorry, no, just HalfLife 2 + Lost Coast

1 minute ago, wev said:

Sorry, no, just HalfLife 2 + Lost Coast

Thanks anyway.

I've got everything in Steam except for Episode 2. I think I got The Orange Box for 360, which included it, then never bothered with the Steam version.

I'm coming to the final act of 2 now, doing the bit with the Striders in the plaza, which is a pretty sharp difficulty spike, but still great fun. Their animations are excellent.

If you already have it Wev, I've got Steam installed on Linux on a Chromebook I could try it on. Cheers. 

2 hours ago, Nick R said:

the guy in the dorm room next to mine got it on launch day and struggled to get it to work.

After eventually getting it activated mine worked but the sound-d-d-d-d was-s-s-s-s like-ke-ke this-s-s-s-s.

I first played it on the original Xbox. That version was kind of amazing for existing at all. 

• Upvote 1

Did anyone else download the leaked build on the internet months before it came out. Remember downloading it on a 56k modem, took weeks to grab it and then found out my PC couldn't handle it anyway. In a way I was glad as I got to play it on my flatmate's PC at Uni which was a beast and managed to run Crysis which was a feat itself.

It's crazy how far ahead of its time it was and I still struggle to think of any games before or since that do world-building so well. I still don't know how they managed to hide the limitations of the tech so well and get the lighting and colour scheme of the world so natural-feeling. The fact HL:Alyx feels like a direct continuation in spite of a gap almost as long as the big Star Trek and Star Wars hiatuses is a testament to what a good job they did.

It's lucky it has the atmosphere, the story, the constant switching up of physics gimmicks, because the combat, weapons and enemy AI were never great. Its legacy is helped by how well it holds up compared to all the games from the next ten years or so that followed the dominant COD template.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, MK-1601 said:

the combat, weapons and enemy AI were never great

Having completed the game last night, I've got to say, respectfully, that this is some grade A bollocks you're spouting here. I'll let you get away with the enemy AI not being especially outstanding (although they still managed to get the jump on me a fair few times), but the weapons? They're fantastic, man. The magnum, the shotgun, the pulse rifle - all extremely satisfying with some fantastic sound design. Then there's the sniper crossbow that lets you pin enemies to a wall (or billboard) from the other side of the map. The bug bait that your rip from the innards of a recently-slaughtered giant ant monster to control a horde of endlessly-respawning slightly smaller giant ant monsters. The freaking laser-guided rocket launcher. The goddamn GRAVITY GUN.

Nah mate. The weapons in this game are quality.

• Upvote 3

The weapons are serviceable but the gameplay is elevated to another level by the physics and obviously therefore the gravity gun. In terms of pure combat though it lags behind the likes of Halo and Doom, but then so does everything. That gravity gun was a game changer though. 

14 hours ago, SeanR said:

this takes me back

I remember just how groundbreaking HL2 was when it came out. It really brought computer game realism to a whole new level with its physics, but we dont see that type of leap anymore do we? Today its just small improvements in terms of detail and post processing. 

Well we're at the end of a console generation and acclimatised to AAA games looking better and better each year rather than fits and starts of progress.

I missed most of the last (as in, 360/PS3) console/PC gen and went from Oblivion and Bioshock to Far Cry 4 and SW Battlefront and it kind of blew my face off. It still kind of amazes me that a base PS4 can run GoW, Spider-Man and Uncharted 4. Even b-games like Assassin's Creed look slick these days.

• Upvote 1

I remember losing my mind about the destruction of the wooden pallet, the stuff floating in the water and the barrel pachinko physics in this tech demo

• Upvote 2