rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
JohnC

Transformers animated prequel to roll out

https://deadline.com/2020/04/transformers-animated-movie-paramount-hasbro-toy-story-4-director-josh-cooley-1202921100/

Paramount are doing an animated Transformers movie revolving around the relationship between Optimus Prime and Megatron on Cybertron. It's not directly related to the live action franchise.

It'll be directed by Toy Story 4's Josh Cooley and written by Ant-Man and The Wasp writers Andrew Barrer & Gabriel Ferrari.

• Upvote 2

This is great news!

However, I can't help but think that Hasbro have dropped the ball slightly in terms of timing. The transformers franchise has been obsessed with the early war on Cybertron for the past two years. We have a Siege toyline that was announced in mid-2018, went on sale in Oct 2018, and is currently being replaced with the Earthrise series; a IDW New Era storyline that has explored this era for the past year (in a very boring manner) and is likely to move off-world in the next few months; and a Netflix series that will be exploring the same era in the near future. Given the importance of the early Cybertron war, a more coordinated, cross-media approach could have been taken, similar to the Armada relaunch.

12 hours ago, knightbeat said:

This is great news!

However, I can't help but think that Hasbro have dropped the ball slightly in terms of timing. The transformers franchise has been obsessed with the early war on Cybertron for the past two years. We have a Siege toyline that was announced in mid-2018, went on sale in Oct 2018, and is currently being replaced with the Earthrise series; a IDW New Era storyline that has explored this era for the past year (in a very boring manner) and is likely to move off-world in the next few months; and a Netflix series that will be exploring the same era in the near future. Given the importance of the early Cybertron war, a more coordinated, cross-media approach could have been taken, similar to the Armada relaunch.

This is what happens when you don't learn how to masturbate.

If it's like the opening sequence in bumblebee I'm in!

• Upvote 3

As an outsider looking in, I thought Bumblebee pretty much nailed its Transformers CGI renditions. I still haven't finished the movie, but I was really impressed. The only other time I've seen Transformers done properly (imo) in cgi was some obscure video test I saw yonks ago. Anyway, I wonder if this is 2D or cartoon cgi? I'd presume cgi which is a shame. A 2D prequel with animation by Toei could be amazing.

• Upvote 1

I'm a bit bored of the whole pre-war thing tbh. I mean what's the point? We know how it turns out - they get in the Ark, crash on Earth and la di da.

I mean idw's comics are currently running that idea into the ground and it's boring there. Megatron and Prime's relationship is never going to be as interesting as James Roberts made it in IDW's previous continuity, which along with Marvel's State Games are the only times the pre-war setting has been done well (and maybe Dreamwave's War Within, but that again shows how overdone the concept is).

Why do people like Transformers? Because they turn into stuff we see every day - cars, tapes and, even, guns. Who cares about a bunch of robots who turn into abstract flying shapes with randomly placed guns? And no doubt the writing will be full of cod-spiritual guff about the 13 Primes or whatever. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Death's Head said:

Why do people like Transformers? Because they turn into stuff we see every day - cars, tapes and, even, guns. Who cares about a bunch of robots who turn into abstract flying shapes with randomly placed guns? And no doubt the writing will be full of cod-spiritual guff about the 13 Primes or whatever. 

And the other thing that Cybertron setting lacks is a sense of scale. Part of the appeal of Transformers is they are fucking massive robots. But if you don’t have a human world for them to inhabit they’re ‘just’ robots.

I did like the cybertronian stuff in the comics but it can’t compete with robots hitting each other through a block of flats using a car as a bat.

• Upvote 3

Yeah, it's fine as flashbacks but as you say, you lose all scale and excitement. And story-wise, we're bound to end up with some sub-par fantasy nonsense and poorly though-through politics.

Also, in IDW's Chaos Theory James Roberts had Orion Pax quote Tony Benn and they're not gonna top that!

• Upvote 1

You guys need to check out Rescue Bots, then. Set on Earth, 2D animation and an awesome theme tune to boot

Too bad it's for kids and not G1 nostalgists.

• Upvote 1

Watched some of the new Siege series on Netflix, and, guys, it’s bad. Grimdark and humourless, voice acting like an anime dub, generally feels like an extended videogame cut scene. Only made it through an episode and a half before giving up.

• Upvote 1

I'm three in and it's ok but i am sooooo bored with all the different pre-war iterations. 

Was nice to see this version of skyfire/jetfire. 

And so far Bumblebee is getting on my tits quite looking forward to the little yellow wanker picking a side..

1 hour ago, Arn Ironjaw said:

I'm three in and it's ok but i am sooooo bored with all the different pre-war iterations. 

Was nice to see this version of skyfire/jetfire. 

And so far Bumblebee is getting on my tits quite looking forward to the little yellow wanker picking a side..

Sad to hear this, we have similar taste so sounds disappointing.

8 minutes ago, yakumo said:

Sad to hear this, we have similar taste so sounds disappointing.

This is only part one (contains six episodes) so it will get better I'm sure. 

They've taken some of the best bits of the IDW pre-war stuff (Monstrosity etc) and mixed it up! I love the look of it mind. 

Who knows the later half could be outstanding and setting it up for Earth War.

But thank you for the compliment :)

• Upvote 1

I quite enjoyed it but a lot of the voice acting is pretty poor and why can’t they get Soundwave’s voice effect right these days?

I done better myself years ago:

• Upvote 2

3 episodes in and visually it’s glorious but seems to be really chugging through the story beats. Appreciate it’s part one of the trilogy but even the action just seems to be really weightless and slow.

I will stick with it as the animation alone is enough to justify seeing it through, but it’s missing the energy that the original G1 stuff had, especially in the action. It’s almost like the lack of Energon the characters have is being symbolised in the pace of things at times.

I put the Netflix series on out of curiosity, and now struggling to work out who this shit is actually aimed at. The script is so simplistic and literal it's like it was written for babies, but the tone and subject matter is like it was aimed at adults.

It's basically amazingly nice looking but irredeemably poorly written garbage.

7 hours ago, Benny said:

It's basically amazingly nice looking but irredeemably poorly written garbage.

Sounds a bit like that Godzilla series Netflix put out.

22 minutes ago, Harsin said:

Sounds a bit like that Godzilla series Netflix put out.

Oh God I'd forgotten about that dross.